12 replies to this topic

#1 return of the saint

return of the saint

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:09 PM

I've just noticed that Daniel Craig has a high profile film being released in August (Infamous - also starring Sandra Bullock, Gwyneth Paltrow, Sigourney Weaver, Jeff Daniels and Isabella Rossellini). A few weeks after that he has another high profile film being released (october) 'The Visiting' (with Nicole Kidman). Just a few weeks after that he is being 'introduced' as James Bond.

So between August at November this year - we'll be seing a lot of Daniel Craig - as a supporting actor. (I'm guessing that he is not the main character in either of these movies).

But is it a good thing for a man who has been seen in secondry roles in three high profile films (in a row - in the same year) suddenly to be promoted to 007 status. Is it a good thing for audience members to be thinking - "oh I recognise him - Nicole Kidman had to save him from aliens last week!"?

I guess it didn't do Brosnan that much harm - "Isn't that the guy Robin Williams [in drag] threw fruit at?". But Mrs Doubtfire was a good two years before GoldenEye.

And if 'Infamous' and 'The Visiting' are panned - will the world really be looking forward to 'that guy from those films' becoming James Bond?

Edited by return of the saint, 06 February 2006 - 04:09 PM.

#2 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:11 PM

Hasn't really happened before - he may well be a bit harder to see as 'just' Bond. We'll see.

#3 Gabe Vieira

Gabe Vieira

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3873 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:46 AM

That probably went into the producers' thinking when they cast Craig; getting more publicity right before CR comes out. It could work, but if the movies bomb, that could hurt CR. I don't think that it was very smart.

#4 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:24 AM

I think the fact he's in a two different types of films, a chick flick (I'm guessing here) and a thriller, where he's not necessarily in the spotlight can only help build his exposure for Bond, showing off his range. It's not going to be like Jude Law a couple years ago when he was the lead in a bunch of films in a short stretch.

Also add to that the heavy drama of Munich, which will likely be released on DVD in May or June.

#5 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:33 AM

Would someone please explain this: which actor could Eon have hired as the new Bond who's in a more prestigious position career-wise than Craig?

I still can't believe how lucky they were to get him.

#6 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:35 AM

Would someone please explain this: which actor could Eon have hired as the new Bond who's in a more prestigious position career-wise than Craig?

Some would argue Clive Owen, but his career has been tainted by a few duds recently.

#7 Fro

Fro

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:47 AM

He needs to be a little more well known at this point, so it's a good thing. He's not doing any role huge enough that's going to prevent people from seeing him as Bond.

#8 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:45 AM

From Craig's own point of view he would have less problems with being typecast.

#9 Streetworker

Streetworker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 460 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 09:27 AM

A good point. Whatever one's private doubts about his suitability as Bond - and as everyone knows, I'm a fence-sitter on this one - it's difficult to think of a better actor of his generation, and who's in such a good position career-wise, they could have chosen.

#10 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:34 AM

A good point. Whatever one's private doubts about his suitability as Bond - and as everyone knows, I'm a fence-sitter on this one - it's difficult to think of a better actor of his generation, and who's in such a good position career-wise, they could have chosen.

You could almost wonder why the heck he's doing it...

#11 Tinfinger

Tinfinger

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 384 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:38 AM

Good point. Craig does not need Bond. Sometimes I wonder if he lost a bet or something with the Brocollis.

#12 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:59 AM

Good point. Craig does not need Bond. Sometimes I wonder if he lost a bet or something with the Brocollis.

There's not much to go on, but he almost seems like a reluctant Bond. Almost like he can't believe he's doing it (the press conference and interviews).

#13 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 12:12 AM

He does seem a bit surprised about the whole thing (wouldnt call him reluctant though). He wouldnt have been cast if he didnt audition, and he wouldnt have auditioned if some part of him didnt want to do it.