15 replies to this topic

#1 Rolex

Rolex

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 448 posts

Posted 01 February 2002 - 10:23 AM

I took my eldest daughter (9) to see Lord of the Rings (PG), which was violent and scary for a 9 year old. I cannot imagine Bond chopping off heads and limbs surely it must be rated a PG. However since GE they have been rated Bond PG 12 I assume it will be the same for Bond 20; the rating system in the UK sucks!
I want to take my 5-year-old son to see it: it will be his first. I get confused with the rating system; does this mean a movie is suitable for 12 years old upwards with parental guidance? Or, no one under the age of 12 is allowed to see it at all?
Can anyone answer this for me?

#2 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 01 February 2002 - 11:48 AM

Ah, the halcyon days of yore, when Licence to Kill was rated 15 for its underwhelming histrionic violence in the same year that Lethal Weapon 2 received the same rating for its slightly more brutal tone.

And Batman was "awarded" a 12. Don't go looking for logic. There bain't none.

I think a 12 certificate for the Bond films is about right; they aren't really meant to be kiddies' films.

If the books were rateable, I think they'd deserve a "15".

Except Never Dream of Dying, which should only be available through "specıalıst" outlets.

Frankly, having had to sit through Harry Potter with my three children (nine, seven and seven) and surrounded by noisy urchins of the same age, I'd ban anyone under 12 from a cinema. And if my children hadn't read/been read the book anyway, I'd have been a bit wary about taking them.

The wife has an aversion to elves. I think she was savaged by a garden gnome as a child, so it looks like I'm watching Lord of the Rings on my own then.

(Bliss)

#3 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 04 February 2002 - 03:44 AM

That post of mine above is a bit messed up. I think you all get what I was trying to do.

#4 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 01 February 2002 - 01:22 PM

Jim (01 Feb, 2002 11:48 a.m.):
Frankly, having had to sit through Harry Potter with my three children (nine, seven and seven) and surrounded by noisy urchins of the same age, I'd ban anyone under 12 from a cinema)

LOL, I'm not the only one who'd like to see this then, phew! :-D

#5 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 04 February 2002 - 05:05 AM

TWINE was M 15+, and to me that wasnt the least but 'gory'. I hope they jack up the spice, but not to a level where is ruins the plot.

#6 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 04 February 2002 - 08:12 AM

Dr. Tynan (01 Feb, 2002 09:39 p.m.):

Dave (Edited) (01 Feb, 2002 11:25 a.m.):
I get this feeling with all the current Bond related merchandise flying around - we have the new James Bond fact files magazine which is blatently aimed at the younger generation 11 and below. Eon seem to be breaking them in before Bond 20 is released.

That's a good observation and you might be right. I hope they haven't made a "12" or "PG" movie. I have waited over 10 years to see a sickeningly violent and savage Bond movie.

Yeah, but I remember that Eon produced something called The James Bond Fact File, plainly child-orientated, in advance of Licence to Kill. And very probably in advance of Licence to Kill being ceritified (interpret that word as you will).

As for Dr T., hmm. Don't live in hope. Don't live in Sheffield, but don't live in hope either.

#7 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 01 February 2002 - 09:39 PM

Dave (Edited) (01 Feb, 2002 11:25 a.m.):
I get this feeling with all the current Bond related merchandise flying around - we have the new James Bond fact files magazine which is blatently aimed at the younger generation 11 and below. Eon seem to be breaking them in before Bond 20 is released.

That's a good observation and you might be right. I hope they haven't made a "12" or "PG" movie. I have waited over 10 years to see a sickeningly violent and savage Bond movie.

#8 Rolex

Rolex

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 448 posts

Posted 04 February 2002 - 11:31 AM

As for the Bond 20 rating, I can't see how Zao's...err, mishap in the pre-credit sequence can be shown in any other way but gruesome.

I feel that Bond 20 is going to be more "adult orientated" than is normal for a Bond movie.[/quote]

As I said before the UK ratings suck! LTK was a 15 and it was still cut for the UK audiences, so my guess it will be the same again if rated at as a 15. I work in Germany and the local cinema caters for American military personnel so I will be able to watch the American version that will not be cut. The downside is that the rating system PG PG12 & R, which means that a 2 year old can watch anything up to R with his parents. I saw “ Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon” last year and it was totally spoilt by bottle-feeding and nappies changing parents throughout the performance!
Just another thing that has crossed my mind, how long after the release will the pirate copies become available? If you buy one be warned, you may find Bond competing you TV screen with a breast-feeding mother with her brats screaming to go to the toilet.

#9 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 04 February 2002 - 12:06 PM

Rolex (04 Feb, 2002 11:31 a.m.):
Just another thing that has crossed my mind, how long after the release will the pirate copies become available?

I dare say it will feature on peer-to-peer Internet proggys (e.g. Morpheous) BEFORE the cinematic release in wonderful DIVX format (or MPEG4 for those in the know). Remember, it only takes one person in the chain to leak a copy, and the whole world gets it.

I'm clearing out my download queue all ready... :-D

#10 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 04 February 2002 - 07:26 PM

You're probably right, Jim. But it'd great if it was at least a UK 15.

#11 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 04 February 2002 - 03:12 AM

Jim (01 Feb, 2002 11:48 a.m.):
Frankly, having had to sit through Harry Potter with my three children (nine, seven and seven) and surrounded by noisy urchins of the same age, I'd ban anyone under 12 from a cinema. And if my children hadn't read/been read the book anyway, I'd have been a bit wary about taking them.

The wife has an aversion to elves. I think she was savaged by a garden gnome as a child, so it looks like I'm watching Lord of the Rings on my own then.

(Bliss)

To this day I've only ever gone to the cinema with me, myself and I. Not to sound unsociable but I have found it a much more pleasurable experience. This may account for the fact that I go to the movies very, very regularly.

My solo movie-going expeditions will be stopping soon as my 4 year old will want to add to the mayhem of "the family day out at the movies".

Can't wait.

As for the Bond 20 rating, I can't see how Zao's...err, mishap in the pre-credit sequence can be shown in any other way but gruesome.

I feel that Bond 20 is going to be more "adult orientated" than is normal for a Bond movie.

#12 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 04 February 2002 - 03:34 AM

Blofeld's Cat (Edited) (04 Feb, 2002 03:16 a.m.):

-----------------------------------------
I don't know what happens to Zao and I don't want to know.  (I don't mean that in an obnoxious way.  I want it to be a surprise. I don't want it "Spoiled").
I feel that Bond 20 is going to be more "adult orientated" than is normal for a Bond movie.

I hope this is the case.

#13 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 04 February 2002 - 10:47 PM

James Page (04 Feb, 2002 12:06 p.m.):
I'm clearing out my download queue all ready... :-D

You too? I'm already getting the good old cable ready. I have friends in the 'know' putting themselves on waiting lists and all!

#14 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 04 February 2002 - 11:02 PM

Okay it seems to make sense but could one of you Brits explain your Certificate Rating system. In the US we have:
[unorder][#]G - General-Everyone can go but usually only kids and parents go[#]PG - Parental Guidance-Everyone can go[#]PG13 - Parental Guidance 13-You have to be thirteen to go without an adult in theory but (it's not really enforced)[#]R - Restricted-You have to be seventeen to go unless with an adult(this is semi-enforced)[#]NC17 - No one seventeen and under admitted (enforced)[/unorder]
Bond movies are generally PG13 (and PG before they came up with PG13). Licence To Kill was Rated R.

#15 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 05 February 2002 - 07:54 AM

OK

U - Universal. Anybody, in theory, although I don't generally see three years olds going to the cinema by themselves.

PG- Parental Guidance. In practice, anybody again. Few cinemas would insist on a child being accompanied by an adult. More violent films can squeeze into this (and therefore squeeze more

#16 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 01 February 2002 - 11:25 AM

I'm quite sure it means that anyone under the age of 12, can't see it.

But, it seems to me that Bond 20 may be a PG!