5 replies to this topic

#1 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:32 AM

Could it work or would he be willing to do it?

Maybe someone from CBn could twist an arm or two? :tup:

#2 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:46 AM

I'm not even sure he's a fan of any incarnation of the character.

I remember when he was about to interview John Gardner for something other than Bondage, as it had folded already, he asked me if I had any questions I'd liked asked. I suggested asking Gardner if he was planning on writing Bond short stories like Fleming did, and if would ever write a story where Bond would meet other literary heroes like Simon Templar. He loved the first question, thought the second question was dumb.

If he were to write a new Saint novel, he would have to immerse himself into the immortal works.

#3 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:46 AM

Could it work?

View Post

No.

#4 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:51 AM

I doubt there would be a market for it. Even if there were, the character would be significantly harder to update, because unlike Bond he has not been continually updated every couple of years so it could *really* jar. I've read a few of the Saint continuations from the 60s - THE SAINT ON TV - and Charteris even says in the foreword that he was partly encouraged to let other writers pen Saint stories (from TV scripts) by the news that Glidrose had just commissioned someone to write a new Bond book (Amis). The writing was quite good, but it wasn't close to Charteris. Even more than with Fleming's, you read this series for the voice of its creator. THE SAINT had a lot of substance to it, but it is still an excercise in style. Charteris was also very prolific, so coming up with a new Saint plot would be tricky. But even if you did, and it was ingenious, entertaining and well-constructed, the main reason for reading a Saint story will always be Charteris' astonishing way with words. I think it would almost inevitably be a disappointment. He was one of the great prose stylists of the 20th century.

#5 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:30 PM

My first sentiment was erased by CBn, so I had to put it nicely.

View Post

(Thanks :tup: )

#6 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 02:50 AM

I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt if he had read the books and was a fan but, like Spynovelfan points out, it probably wouldn't sell.

Rassa frassa changing tastes of the reading public.