6 replies to this topic

#1 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:04 AM

Just finished my first Benson Bond novel, The Man with the Red Tattoo, I loved it! I had previously read Benson's two Splinter cell books and enjoyed them; I had planned to read through all the Gardner books first, but I'd gotten up to No Deals Mr.Bond and was finding it deadly dull. So I picked up TMWTRT for a change of pace, it was the only Benson one they had at the used bookstore, I figured since it wasn't one of his trilogy books it was safe to read (though there are clear references to previous books).
Anyway, I loved it! Benson perfectly captures that Fleming travelogue feel, we get a real sense of what its like to be in all those Japanese locales. I also enjoyed the larger-than-life and slightly surreal qualities of the story, such as the 'kappa' dwarf assassin(!) as well as the big mosquito scheme. I appreciated the little nods to Fleming stories, such as the random Quantum of Solace reference, Bond dreading returning to Japan after the events of YOLT, and the return of Tiger Tanaka.
Can't wait to read Benson's other novels. :tup:

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 01:36 AM

Agreed. I'm a huge fan of TMWTRT. I think you are going to enjoy the other Benson novels as well.

#3 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 01:49 AM

It's great you are reading the Bensons. They all have their moments and Benson was excellent at original ideas and deft plotting in his Bond novels.

Tattoo is quite good and he certainly captures Japan very well. As the Japanese devotion to this work attests.

#4 manfromjapan

manfromjapan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 428 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 03:08 AM

I am halfway through it now. I have already read his three novelisations (TND was the best) and Zero Minus ten but this one looks like it is going to be his best.
As I live in Japan I might have a sentimental affection for it!!!

#5 MrDraco

MrDraco

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:07 AM

I think its time for a re-read :)

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:35 AM

I was actually thinking of giving it a re-read myself.

#7 James Boldman

James Boldman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 454 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 03:00 PM

I'm in the process of finishing of the Fleming short stories, then I'm off to re-read the Bensons! Starting with TFOD, seeing I've already re-read ZMT a few years back. I found ZMT was a very easy re-read, very enjoyable...I didn't bore more, even though I'd read it only a few years prior.