A new original novel from past 007 author

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 07:10 PM

Hey, I love how the cover of Sweetie's Diamonds is kind of a take-off on the first U.S. edition of Diamonds Are Forever. :tup:

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 07:14 PM

Hey, I didn't think about that! Good catch, zen.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...bayphotohosting

#4 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 07:17 PM

Is he obsessed with pørn?

#5 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 07:40 PM

Good excuse to do some 'research' I suppose!

#6 James Boldman

James Boldman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 454 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:12 AM

Sounds very intriguing. I might just buy this one as well!:tup:

#7 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:54 AM

Hey, I love how the cover of Sweetie's Diamonds is kind of a take-off on the first U.S. edition of Diamonds Are Forever.  :tup:

View Post

Hey, I didn't think about that! Good catch, zen.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...bayphotohosting

View Post

Posted Image Posted Image

#8 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 02:38 PM

Now shipping...

Posted Image
Raymond Benson's 'Sweetie's Diamonds' Now Shipping
A new original novel from past 007 author

#9 Jack Spang

Jack Spang

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 09:43 PM

Sounds like a good read. Wouldn't that be a kick in the guts! Christ, it would be one thing finding out you mother use to act in pørn films it would be another actually seeing her in them! :tup:

#10 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 02:57 AM

A review (though not a good one): http://books.monster..._Raymond_Benson

Still, I'm definitely going to try this book out.

#11 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 01:51 AM

Two new reviews:

"When a teenage boy discovers that his mother once starred in pørnographic films, he is, predictably, shocked. This is a side of his mom he'd never suspected, but the truth is far more complicated than even your David can possibly imagine. Benson, best known for his popular James Bond novels, proves here that he is equally adept at more realistic thrillers. This ever-more-intricate story (which involves a two-decade-old murder and several buried secrets) may remind some readers of the novels of James Grippando, who tends to structure his high-octane thrillers on families with closets full of secrets. The relationship between David and his mother, Diane (aka Lucy Luv), is key to the drama, and Benson layers enough twists and turns to keep mother and son, not to mention the reader, searching desperately for the truth."
--David Pitt, Booklist

"Exciting thriller" -- In Lincoln Grove, Illinois popular highly regarded high school teacher Diane Boston lives with her Marfan syndrome inflicted teenage son David. Her former spouse Greg detests her for hiding secrets from him and for coddling their son, who he wants custody over. David's best friend Billy Davis finds a stash of his father's hard core pørn movies from the late 1970s. The two young teens recognize the star Lucy Luv as David's mom. Billy's dad catches his son watching and recognizes her as Diane too. He gleefully informs the tabloids as a way of avenging her beating him out for a job at the school and her rejecting his sexual advances. California pørn producer Aaron Valentine learns that Lucy Luv is in Illinois and sees this as the break in a two decade old betrayal that he plans to correct. He sends his muscle Emo Tuff to take care of business. Corpses begin appearing in the diamond centers of New York and Chicago and in Lincoln Grove until Emo abducts David. The past comes back to haunt Diane as her secrets become public. Besides her concern for her son, she needs to worry that Aaron will demand the gems taken from him. The story line is at its best as a deep character study of an ethical middle class paragon suddenly held in contempt by those who named her teacher of the year. The Aaron-Emo spin adds action and excitement, but takes away from the choices that Diane has to make as the lioness instead must go after her cub. Still Raymond Benson provides a fine tale starring an ethical individual who has enough on her plate without Aaron and Emo seeking to break her bones one at a time.
-- Harriet Klausner, THE BEST REVIEWS

#12 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 09:15 PM

Got my copy today (I guess amazon must have delayed it or something). Really like this cover. Hopefully I can start it this weekend!