12 replies to this topic

#1 Darksideoftheschwartz

Darksideoftheschwartz

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:42 PM

Why in the From Russia With Love game did they call SPECTRE OCTOPUS? Well I know why, but they could have and McClory couldn't do a thing about it. EA got permission to do a game based on the FRWL movie. In the Movie they called SPECTRE SPECTRE. The movie was realeased before McClory had the rights to Thunderball, so by this logic I believe that sence it Is based off a movie that was released before McClory got the rights to thunderball, they could call SPECTRE SPECTRE. The Thunderball script was written before the movie was released, but unless the script itself had a copyright before the thunderball book was released, The people who own the book/movie rights would have the ability to use SPECTRE. So if I am correct, when EA got permission to amke a FRWL game, they could have called SPECTRE SPECTRE. What do you think?

#2 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 12:35 AM

[mra]The last lawsuit that McClory brought up he was told that he waited to long to bring up the issues of the suit. If there was something fresh to sue about this would not be the case. So basically Spectre is in limbo as far Danjaq, MGM, and Sony are concerned. They won

#3 icecold

icecold

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 278 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:18 PM

The OCTOPUS thing is dumb, though. If they couldn't use SPECTRE then why not make it SMERSH like in the novel? Change it back to a Soviet counter-intelligence plot instead of a terrorist organization's one.

#4 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 01:32 AM

The OCTOPUS thing is dumb, though. If they couldn't use SPECTRE then why not make it SMERSH like in the novel? Change it back to a Soviet counter-intelligence plot instead of a terrorist organization's one.

View Post

They appear to have been inspired by the SPECTRE logo in the film version of FRWL. The Octopus logo is only slightly tweaked.

#5 icecold

icecold

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 278 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:52 AM

I know that but it's lame. Sounds more like something from a Bond parody.

#6 Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:04 AM

OCTOPUS...

the Organization for Careless Treatment of Old Plotlines and Used Scoundrels

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:08 AM

OCTOPUS...

View Post

:tup:

#8 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:54 AM

View Post

I completely agree with you. SMERSH would have been a much better choice for the name of the organization.

#9 Simon Beavis

Simon Beavis

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:26 PM

OCTOPUS...

Are they related to THUG?

Typcast Heavies and Unionized Goons

I'm guessing they chose the name because other cool animal names: Hydra and Cobra, were already taken.

Edited by Simon Beavis, 15 February 2006 - 05:27 PM.

#10 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:51 PM

[mra]It occurs to me that they couldn

#11 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 02:22 AM

Actually since SMERSH was a real program from the former soviet spy networks it's plausible that EA could have used it.

#12 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 02:27 PM

Actually since SMERSH was a real program from the former soviet spy networks it's plausible that EA could have used it.

True, but it would still be an element of the book, and the IFP may have a case. And just the fact that they may might be enough to scare EA off the use.

#13 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 05:14 PM

EA's contract from 2003 allows them to use anything from the films or books about James Bondup to 2010 because from 2001 onwards EON have had all of the rights to Bond, MClory lost his in his final courtcase and Sony gave them theirs in return for the rights to Spider-man. It's all explained in behind the scenes of Spider-man and in James Bond:the legacy