This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

A question to whoever's read his novelizations...

8 replies to this topic

#1 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:50 AM

I haven't read either Licence to Kill or Goldeneye, although I'd like to. I was just curious, though: does Bond carry the PPK in those, or did Gardner give him the ASP in the novelizations too?

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:51 PM

I don't remember first hand, but I have in my personal Bond book database that Bond carried the PPK in LTK and the ASP in GE.

#3 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 03:57 AM

Hmm, curious. I'm certainly not doubting the validity of your claim, it just seems a touch odd to have Bond revert back to the PPK in LTK and then have the ASP in Goldeneye. Maybe Gardner wanted to make LTK less confusing for people that haven't read any of his other novels?

#4 addyb

addyb

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 03:27 PM

Hello, I'm quite new to these forums, so I hope you don't mind me jumping right into this post. (I think I'll post some sort of introduction later)

Anyway, in answer to your question Flash:

In Gardner's LTK novelization Bond uses a Walther P38k (a P38 with a very short barrel) once he arrives in Isthmus city. (Page 115, Coronet softcover) Prior to arriving in Isthmus, Gardner simply describes Bond's weapon as "pistol" or "automatic"

In the Goldeneye novelization pre-title sequence, Bond carries an ASP 9mm "fitted with a long noise reduction unit" page 5, Coronet softcover edition. This is interesting, as the ASP was never orginally designed to be fitted with a sound suppressor, it did not have a barrel extension. After that point, from the meeting in Valentin's club to Jack Wade giving him another weapon, as in LTK, Gardner simply describes Bond's weapon as "automatic."

Cheers,

Adam

Edited by addyb, 15 January 2006 - 05:27 PM.

#5 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 05:40 PM

Welcome to CBN, friend! Hope you enjoy your stay.

And thank you for the reply. Did Bond have to return his previous gun during LTK? I figured maybe during the scene where he quits MI6 he'd have to give whatever weapon he carried back to the Service.

And why did Wade have to give him another weapon during Goldeneye? Something happen to the ASP?

#6 addyb

addyb

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 04:56 PM

Flash,

Actually, it's interesting how Gardner wrote Bond's personal weapon into the novelization. In LTK, he simply writes Bond's pistol as "his automatic" up until he hits Isthmus city. When he meets with Sanchez, the writing says "This is bad news, a nice little piece. Far better than that old, outdated PPK." And that's it for LTK, no description of a pistol up until that point.

In Goldeneye, as I said previously, Bond carries the ASP 9mm loaded with Glaser slugs. (The round ASP recommended for the pistol) for the dam chapter. After that, no other mention of it. Just "automatic", for the rest of the novelization. I think the reason Gardner wrote it like this is to keep the book in tone with the movie, and seeing as the first chapter is not in the movie, Gardner could safely get away with Bond carring the ASP. The PPK is a really outdated weapon, Bond SHOULD be carrying the ASP.

In fact, a few years ago, I blasted off a series of e-mails with a man by the name of James McMahon, who was Raymond Benson's advisor on his research trip to Japan before writing TMWTRT. McMahon sent me several pictures of the ASP, and also told me that he had asked Benson to suggest to the IFF that Bond should be carrying the ASP. But of course, the IFF said no, and that the "PPK was an iconic part of James Bond culture" [sic] So there's my connection with James Bond! I still have the pictures somewhere on this computer. Anyway, have a look at this link:

http://www.hmss.com/qbranch/qb0101.htm

The ASP is an amazing pistol, and apparently still out there, unseen in the best places. :tup:

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 05:36 PM

Thanks for the excellent info, addyb. A P38k in LTK? Interesting.

Welcome to CBn. :tup:

#8 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:02 AM

Fascinating article, many good choices for a new Bond weapon. The inclusion of the HK P7 seemed a little ironic, as Bond carried it in "Icebreaker", but it's a nice handgun nontheless.

I, too, have been of the mind that Bond should carry the ASP. A much more powerful and advanced weapon than the PPK, and much easier to conceal (and classier, in a way) than the P99. Shame it never showed up in a movie or anything.

And isn't it odd that IFF should rule that Bond should carry the PPK instead, when during Brosnan's era EON had no problem changing to the P99?

Edited by Flash1087, 17 January 2006 - 04:07 AM.

#9 addyb

addyb

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 07:12 PM

Attached File  ASP_Comparison.jpg   48.85KB   70 downloadsWell yeah, it is a bit odd that Benson's novelizations allow him to carry the P99, but in his "regular" Bond books, IFF insists on the PPK. I think this is probably because novelizations are not really part of the "cannon" and the other books are.

But I'm willing to bet that when most people think about James Bond, the Walther PPK probably comes to mind. Sure, the ASP is a much better choice, but the Walther is part of 007's iconic identity.

I've got quite a few photo's of the ASP, courtesy of James McMahon. Here's a shot comparing the first generation model to the second. The first generation pistols were hand made by Paris Theodore, and the second generation were produced by Armament Systems and Procedures of Appleton, WI. (The same company that made Bond's telescoping baton in "Death is Forever."

Cheers,

Adam

Edited by addyb, 18 January 2006 - 12:58 AM.