22 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:28 PM

Should the James Bond folks bring back a fictionalized SMERSH? This would seperate Bond from Kevin McClory's SPECTRE. In these days of terrorism, some of which seem to have come straight out from a Fleming novel, SMERSH could be a stand-in. Afterall, former Soviet officials, no longer in power, are unlikely to just disappear. There's every possiblity, in a conspiracy theory sort of way, to link them to Russian gangsterism, then perhaps international.

#2 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:36 PM

[mra]It has never been spelled out in the films what SMERSH is. As far as I remember the word SMERSH has only been used one time, and has not been definitively tied to the USSR. It is possible that they could just fictionalise SMERSH even more and have them be another SPECTRE-like organisation.

Not sure if it

#3 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:43 PM

Smersh it good.

#4 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:58 PM

My spelling might be a little off, but SMERSH is an acronym for Shmeriet Shpionam. This was a real organization that looked for spies, both internationally and domestic, kind of like Bush's version of the NSA, but for the Soviet Union. Rosa Krebbs was supposed to be formerly of SMERSH in "From Russia With Love." That was clear in the book, but I can't remember in the movie, although in the latter she was then working for SPECTRE. The bad guys in "The Living Daylights," tried to blame a reactivated SMERSH for their murders.

#5 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 06:31 PM

My spelling might be a little off, but SMERSH is an acronym for Shmeriet Shpionam.  This was a real organization that looked for spies, both internationally and domestic, kind of like Bush's version of the NSA, but for the Soviet Union.  Rosa Krebbs was supposed to be formerly of SMERSH in "From Russia With Love."  That was clear in the book, but I can't remember in the movie, although in the latter she was then working for SPECTRE.  The bad guys in "The Living Daylights," tried to blame a reactivated SMERSH for their murders.

View Post

[mra]Yes, but The Living Daylights never said the word SMERSH.

#6 Mr Malcolm

Mr Malcolm

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 06:57 PM

[quote name='Mister Asterix' date='6 January 2006 - 17:36'][mra]It has never been spelled out in the films what SMERSH is. As far as I remember the word SMERSH has only been used one time, and has not been definitively tied to the USSR. It is possible that they could just fictionalise SMERSH even more and have them be another SPECTRE-like organisation.

Not sure if it

#7 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 06:59 PM

In "The Living Daylights," they did have a tag that appeared on a balloon near Saunder's body that said SMERSH. Now that I think of it, I seem to recall Bond asking Dr. No in the movie if he was with SMERSH, and the doctor didn't know what he was talking about, and said he was a member of SPECTRE.

#8 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 09:15 PM

In "The Living Daylights," they did have a tag that appeared on a balloon near Saunder's body that said SMERSH.  Now that I think of it, I seem to recall Bond asking Dr. No in the movie if he was with SMERSH, and the doctor didn't know what he was talking about, and said he was a member of SPECTRE.

View Post

[mra]No, the balloon said

#9 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:07 PM

Fair enough, Ian Fleming defined SMERSH as Smiert Spionam, and I may have made that leap when watching the movie.

Have y'all noticed we trade details of Bond's books and movies as if they were holy writ?

There may be a passing similarity between this idea and GE, but every terrorist group needs a source of financing. I haven't seen GE since it first came out, but although it did deal some with Russian businessmen with mobster ties, it turned into a conventional Bond against a meglomaniac plot toward the end.

Edited by Stephen Spotswood, 06 January 2006 - 10:10 PM.

#10 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:24 PM

Whoa i did a similar thread like this before
I agree SMERSH it until SPECTRE is back

Edited by Colossus, 06 January 2006 - 10:25 PM.

#11 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:52 AM

[quote name='Mister Asterix' date='7 January 2006 - 02:31'][quote name='Stephen Spotswood' date='6 January 2006 - 11:58']My spelling might be a little off, but SMERSH is an acronym for Shmeriet Shpionam.  This was a real organization that looked for spies, both internationally and domestic, kind of like Bush's version of the NSA, but for the Soviet Union.  Rosa Krebbs was supposed to be formerly of SMERSH in "From Russia With Love."  That was clear in the book, but I can't remember in the movie, although in the latter she was then working for SPECTRE.  The bad guys in "The Living Daylights," tried to blame a reactivated SMERSH for their murders.

View Post

[/quote]

#12 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 04:59 PM

Beria was head of the KGB (or whatever it was called back then - MKVD or MVD?) at that time.

View Post

MGB.

SMERSH was real, but its powers and menace exaggerated in Fleming's CR - even more so in LALD.

I think it could be used well, if done carefully. I think for some people the word does signal James Bond, and as this is meant to be a key point in the character's career, it could be just right for it.

#13 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 07:46 PM

[quote name='Blofeld's Cat' date='7 January 2006 - 04:52'][quote name='Mister Asterix' date='7 January 2006 - 02:31'][quote name='Stephen Spotswood' date='6 January 2006 - 11:58']My spelling might be a little off, but SMERSH is an acronym for Shmeriet Shpionam.  This was a real organization that looked for spies, both internationally and domestic, kind of like Bush's version of the NSA, but for the Soviet Union.  Rosa Krebbs was supposed to be formerly of SMERSH in "From Russia With Love."  That was clear in the book, but I can't remember in the movie, although in the latter she was then working for SPECTRE.  The bad guys in "The Living Daylights," tried to blame a reactivated SMERSH for their murders.

View Post

[/quote]

#14 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 07:53 PM

It's clear from FRWL that SMERSH is Russian. In the exchange between Grant and Bond in the train, Grant mentions Klebb, and Bond is then surprised when Grant reveals SPECTRE was behind the plot, because he knows Klebb as someone from SMERSH. Earlier, we saw Klebb pretending to be a Russian officer when she interviewed Tatiana. Add those together and SMERSH is Russian.

They'd explain it again anyway. :tup:

#15 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 08:14 PM

..just let it die. Come up with something new and original. It's not that hard. Get a name, plant a few guys around a table, "how can we destroy the world today?", bada-bing-bada-boom ya got yourself a menacing organisation worthy of Bond and MI6's attention. They've done this a good number of times, however, this time around, don't kill the main guy.

#16 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 08:18 PM

Come up with something new and original.

Get a name, plant a few guys around a table, "how can we destroy the world today?", bada-bing-bada-boom ya got yourself a menacing organisation worthy of Bond and MI6's attention. They've done this a good number of times

View Post

How would it be new and original, then?

#17 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:24 PM

At least a revamped SMERSH would make the next couple of movies enjoyable.

#18 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 09 January 2006 - 06:20 AM

Beria was head of the KGB (or whatever it was called back then - MKVD or MVD?) at that time.

View Post

MGB.

View Post

Cool, my favourite sports car! :tup:

Cheers SNF

BC

#19 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 06:34 AM

...it until SPECTRE is back

View Post

If we ever see that happen...

#20 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 06:47 AM

yeah whenever that happens :tup:

#21 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 02:45 PM

SMERSH (Smiert Spionam) was a division within the MVB, or whatever the Soviet intelligence system was called then. That may have been why the movies replaced SMERSH with SPECTRE, if indeed its name may have changed since the Stalin years too.

#22 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 02:59 PM

Actually, I didn't flesh out the idea enough. I see the gangsterism of a reinvigorated SMERSH as sparking gang war between them and already existing gangs like the Union Corse, the Mafia etc. SMERSH then uses the profits to finance terrorism, and the terrorism is more down to earth, and less Sax Rohmer. In stories like these Bond is that faceless, nameless Brit who saves terrorized civilians. He's the gunslinger hired to fight other gunslingers. It's a dirtier, grittier, job that however much he despises it, to others he's a hero. I realize this could be compared to the Die Hard series, but that was based on Bond, but with too many one liners.

#23 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 04:32 AM

...it until SPECTRE is back

View Post

If we ever see that happen...

View Post

\