18 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 21 February 2002 - 08:35 AM

The latest edition of Empire magazine in Australia has indicated that Bond 20 has a December release date? What's going on?? Hope they have their wires crossed.

#2 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 21 February 2002 - 09:41 AM

I'd say its wrong, my thinking would be that the Oz releasedate would be the Thursday after the UK and US date, so maybe November 28th.

#3 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 17 April 2002 - 04:29 AM

As an editor of a web site, which has international coverage, Blue Eyes needs to be informed in "up-to-the-minute" time.

If watching Die Another Day in VCD format is the only available way to do his job, so be it.

Either way, December 12 sucks. :)

#4 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 09:57 AM

December 12 ? No way, what are they doing to us ? And I'm not going to VCD it and you all would have seen it three or four times before I get too. sigh. :)

#5 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 11:11 AM

Life's a b*tch! :-P

Blue Eyes (17 Apr, 2002 01:50 a.m.):
Release Dates:

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - Australia 28 November 2002

Lord of the Rings: The The Two Towers - The Australia 26 December 2002

I'm sure worldwide Bond fans would welcome this decision as it will help maximise the boxoffice for DAD.

For The World Is Not Enough the release dates were as such
Australia: November 25
United Kingdom: November 26

Looks like we (UK) are going to have our turn in having it first. And about time too. Bond is British and it's only fitting for the 40th Anniversary that we should get to see it first, no?

#6 Rolex

Rolex

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 448 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 01:46 PM

Pretty tough for you Aussies. Does this also mean that the SE DVD of DAD will be released later there than North America and Europe?

#7 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 10:08 PM

We always get the DVD later anyway. The US had the DVD well before Australia, and I'm talking months!

I'm goign to starta a boycott Harry Potthead campaign :)

#8 Rolex

Rolex

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 448 posts

Posted 18 April 2002 - 06:25 AM

Hey Daniel why don't you apply for press screening tickets we is normally a couple of weeks before general release.
I am sure that some of the members will know the process to get a press ticket.

#9 mattbowyer

mattbowyer

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 11 May 2002 - 10:00 AM

I just wanted to remind everyone that in Australia we get advance screenings a week before so its really December 5, maybe earlier.

NONETHELESS...

As Australias biggest Bond fan this depresses me and I'm seriously considering flying to england. And don't watch it on VCD, thats blasphemy.

Contact me blue eyes, i think we have work to do...
[email protected] for msn
or [email protected]

#10 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 11 May 2002 - 10:33 AM

Just added you to my MSN list Matt. Will talk to you when you come online :) Cheers. Let's hope we can work something out :)

#11 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 11 May 2002 - 11:41 AM

Oooh, oooh, I wanna be on your MSN list too.

[email protected]

#12 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 11 May 2002 - 06:00 PM

James Page (17 Apr, 2002 12:11 p.m.):

For The World Is Not Enough the release dates were as such
Australia: November 25
United Kingdom: November 26

Looks like we (UK) are going to have our turn in having it first. And about time too. Bond is British and it's only fitting for the 40th Anniversary that we should get to see it first, no?

Well, Australia (and Canada for that matter) is just as British as Britain. They should get the film first to make them feel 'more British', and then this republicanism will be put down! :)

Maybe not. Well, as long as the US and Communist China don't get it before us, I don't care which of these three gets it first. (Obviously Canada is not going to get it first--Harry Saltzman screwed us out of that in '74. :) )

#13 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 12:15 AM

Okay I'm here to have a whinge!!

Am I being biased? Well probably, as I live in Australia I'm feeling pretty personal about this one. So what can I say, put your filter caps on if you like!

Moving on. The French James Bond Club, who have pretty strong ties with Eon Productions, have listed on their website that the Australian Release date of Die Another Day is Australie : 12 d

#14 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 12:24 AM

I've just been to the Fox website.

http://www.foxmovies...=3&TitleID=1045

That's it for Die Another Day

And yes, the release date IS December 12.

Bloody disappointing day I must say! :'(

#15 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 12:36 AM

Ah but when are LOTR:TTT and Harry Potter 2 being released iin OZ? What other films are being released on or around that date? There might not be enough screens available earlier for a film the size of DAD to open, or there might be too much direct competition. Or maybe they might want to roll it out a bit to build up word of mouth if they felt that they didn't do enough box office in OZ or certain other countries the last time. Didn't they open TWINE in Asia early to try and combat piracy? There are many factors besides number of prints and dubbing to take into consideration in distribution.

Even so, my sympathies to those down under. :-(

#16 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 12:50 AM

Point taken :)

Release Dates:

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - Australia 28 November 2002

Lord of the Rings: The The Two Towers - The Australia 26 December 2002

So there you go. It could be Harry Potter their worried about. But to me, that's being weak. They're taking the easy road and hitting Harry Potter after three weeks, when they themselves will be hit after three weeks by LOTR. So why not open a week before Harry Potter and try and flood the box office with Bond? Is that possible? Maybe not as the younger generation controls the box office. But I'm sure we could get some of the kids into see Die Another Day. The problem with Harry Potthead at the box office is that for every two kids you can bet there is at least one parent (who probably doens't want to see it anyway).

Personally I think December 12 is hitting one audience: Ages 17 to 25.

That's the stage when universities and year 12 students have all finished. However, most will have finished two or three weeks before.

I think Fox are scared of Harry Potter. Personally, I think the kid is easy game.

#17 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 01:15 AM

I think they're being sensible. 3 weeks is actually an optimum time hitting just in between the two behomoths. A film pulls most of it's money in the first 1-2 weeks and by the 3rd loses a bit fo steam. If it has legs great, that goes to the quality of the film, or rather, which might be different how much the film is liked and how much repeat viewing there is.

I think that if MGM didn't want the lucrative Thanksgviing weekend in the U.S. so much they'd rather be more than one week after HP. But any more than that and the'd also run into TTT.

Look at Star Trek; Nemisis, they were to open the same week as Bond, knew they'd be killed and moved, but jumped right into the path of TTT. Will that be any better?

It's just one big chess match.

#18 Dmitri Mishkin

Dmitri Mishkin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 01:27 AM

That is very odd. I certainly feel for you, freemo, and anyone esle in "Oz".

Are you sure you'll want to watch on VCD? It's a terrible medium for movies, in my opinion. The quality is just

this

far

down

from DVDs. However, given the choice between watch or not-watch, I'd settle for anything as well.

#19 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 01:38 AM

Yes, VCD's are a poorer quality, by far! But I look at it like this. The chances are I'll have the VCD around the release of Die Another Day in the UK and the US, I may even get it before! I already have it organised so that it is shipped to me as soon as it comes on the market in Asia. Now we all know that will be damn quick because of the lapsed copyright laws in some Asian countries

And it bascially comes down to two things:

1) To watch or not to watch.
2) I've been reported on Die Another Day since July 1999 and I think I deserve to see it asap!! ;d
3) I have a duty to get a review online. Maybe in that review I'll exclude technical aspects as I can't really review their quality from such a poor quality medium. But I owe it to the readers to get a review online asap.