4 replies to this topic

#1 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:46 AM

Ok so they can't use SPECTRE, but then why not use the original name from the book that was changed to SPECTRE for the film, SMERSH? I know it's the actual Russian counter-intelligence organization, but i really don't think they'd get the heeby jeebies and get offended over this with the book and movie being out over 40 years now with everyone knowing already, and a new government now with Communism over with, why couldn't SMERSH be used for the game?

#2 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:59 AM

Because you might as well call them the 'KGB'. It's a Soviet Government thing and wouldn't make sense. Not very friendly either.

Or perhaps we could call them the Nazis. Nothing to do with the unpopular, infamous evil political movement of the same name, naturally.

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 03:11 PM

[mra]I wish they

#4 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 01:37 AM

The irony about re-naming SPECTRE OCTOPUS in the video game is that the insignia looks alot like the HYDRA insignia, the evil organization that Nick Fury & SHIELD fights in Marvel Comics. Without SPECTRE, there would be no HYDRA.

#5 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 03:50 AM

I'm guessing the inspiration (if that's the right word) for calling it Octopus was the SPECTRE logo from the films, which looks a bit like an octopus. Just a tweak here and there, and you have an "original" logo.