17 replies to this topic

#1 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 08:02 PM

I'm currently working with a local theater here in Michigan in an attempt to arrange a private screening of one of the classic Bond films for myself and a group of my friends.

I'm still just in the planning stages, so I don't have any details yet. It will probably be a Connery film from the 60's. It will probably be in April or May of 2006. It will be in Michigan (probably Birmingham which is about 30 minutes north of Detroit).

Just wondering if there are any CBn members that would be interested in attending something like this. If you are interested you can post a reply here or email or PM me.

#2 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 06:30 AM

Oh man! I would LOVE that! Birmingham isn't too far from me, either...

Do Thunderball or YOLT, those would be sweet on the big screen.

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 06:42 AM

Would most likely not be able to attend. However, to throw my suggestion in: You Only Live Twice.

Films like Goldfinger and Thunderball so often get the screenings and are very well known in the Connery era, but a You Only Live Twice screening would be something!

Nonetheless, any film is a good choice here. :tup:

#4 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 06:53 PM

Oh man! I would LOVE that! Birmingham isn't too far from me, either...

Do Thunderball or YOLT, those would be sweet on the big screen.

View Post

Hi Flash1087,

Thanks for the interest.

Are you in Michigan? (If you don't want to post your location, feel free to PM or email me).

We're currently trying to nail down a couple of potential dates in April and/or May. Let me know if you have any preferences for dates/ day of the week.

Thanks!

#5 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 02:13 PM

Many thanks to those who have already emailed or posted comments!

I'm putting together an email list so I can send out more details as they become available. If anyone would like to get on the list, please send me your name and email address (posting, email, and PM are all fine).

You can also send me any input you have on your preferences for dates, days of the week, films, etc.

#6 Quartermaster007

Quartermaster007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1123 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 07:22 PM

I think I'd be able to make it.

I live in Illinois so Michigan wouldn't be too far away for me.

I'll wait for more details to fill in (date, movie, etc...) :tup:

#7 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 09:23 PM

I have a sharp scope print of Thunderball on 16mm that I was planning on selling but I can hold onto it if you need it. Where's Birmingham, MI?

Oh yeah, 30 miles N of Detroit.

I also have a somewhat faded print of Diamonds, also scope, if you want to do a double feature.

Edited by Donovan, 18 December 2005 - 09:25 PM.

#8 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 05:53 PM

I have a sharp scope print of Thunderball on 16mm that I was planning on selling but I can hold onto it if you need it. Where's Birmingham, MI?

Oh yeah, 30 miles N of Detroit.

I also have a somewhat faded print of Diamonds, also scope, if you want to do a double feature.

View Post

Hi Donovan,
I really appreciate the offer. But I'm probably going for one I haven't seen on the big screen (which rules Thunderball out). I might consider buying it if it's available though.
Thanks again!

#9 IndyB007

IndyB007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 06:22 PM

I grew up in MI and now live in Chicago... wouldn't mind coming over there though for FRWL perhaps....

#10 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:39 PM

I grew up in MI and now live in Chicago... wouldn't mind coming over there though for FRWL perhaps....

View Post

Hi IndyB007,
I'll put that down as a vote for FRWL.
So far Dr. No, FRWL, and OHMSS have been suggested the most (and I haven't seen any of them on the big screen so all would suit me just fine). Final choice will probably come down to what has the highest quality print available at the time.
I'm hoping that I can get enough interest to justify the extra cost of one of the larger theaters (i.e. bigger screen).

Thanks for your interest, I'll post/email updates as I get more details figured out.

Thanks!

#11 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 03:59 PM

Better make sure you're getting a scope print if it's one of the wide-screen Bonds, and make sure the theater can accommodate the print (i.e. anamorphic lens). Dr. No and FRWL are safer choices since you don't have to worry about the extra lens.

#12 Quartermaster007

Quartermaster007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1123 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 12:34 AM

I'd say either show From Russia With Love or On Her Majesty’s Secret Service. : )

#13 blofeldblows

blofeldblows

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 01:04 AM

Draco first off Oxford is close to where i live ironically, so im definitely in on the private screening in the metro detroit area. As far as what movie if DN and FRWL are best captured on the wide screen than those would be golden. If just trying to capture a Bond that captures what a Bond movie is, TSWLM would be your best bet.

#14 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 10:02 PM

So it's just me voting for Thunderball, eh? Oh drats!

#15 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 10:10 PM

Draco first off Oxford is close to where i live ironically, so im definitely in on the private screening in the metro detroit area. As far as what movie if DN and FRWL are best captured on the wide screen than those would be golden. If just trying to capture a Bond that captures what a Bond movie is, TSWLM would be your best bet.

View Post

Cool, Grand Blanc is practically around the corner. I'll post more details as things develop.

#16 BlackFelix

BlackFelix

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 345 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 03:35 PM

Hey, sign me up! I live just in Ann Arbor. So it's not terribly far, actually there is a great movie theatre in town that is thinking of screening either Goldfinger or Never Say Never Again in March or April.

#17 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:12 PM

Hey, sign me up! I live just in Ann Arbor. So it's not terribly far, actually there is a great movie theatre in town that is thinking of screening either Goldfinger or Never Say Never Again in March or April.

View Post

Please keep me posted on that, I'd go in a heartbeat!!

Mine might be getting pushed back until the summer, not sure yet. I'll post more info when I can.

#18 BlackFelix

BlackFelix

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 345 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 04:46 AM

I will keep you up to date! It's called the "State St. Theatre", It's this really classic looking building and every so often they'll screen older films like Superman or Rocky. I've been pressuring them to screen some older Bond films, and they told me that they have access to some of the older films(DN, GF, NSNA, LALD). They seemed to be really keen on showing the Connery films, but of course it's a buisness so they want to make money, so they'll be choosy about which one they'll show, if at all!