This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

CBn Reviews 'Never Say Never Again'

56 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate 'Never Say Never Again'

Rate 'Never Say Never Again'

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 04:31 AM

From CBn's main page...

Posted Image
CBn Reviews 'Never Say Never Again'
Forum members review Sean Connery's rival James Bond film

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 04:32 AM

[Poll added as well]

#3 Sanjuro007

Sanjuro007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:13 AM

Interesting reading everyone's thoughts on the film. Never Say Never Again has been somewhat of a mixed bag for me, but IMHO I've always thought it definitely had a lot of cool "Bond Moments" that made it worthwhile, especially seeing Connery don the tux once again.

Part of me is curious what Never Say Never Again would be like if they put Connery's old gunbarrel sequence into the film, re-edited the beginning to be a proper pre-credit sequence, hired someone to create a main title sequence, and alowed someone to record a new "official Bond" soundtrack for the film. Would make for a great 2-Disc Ultimate Edition of the film (the original, unaltered version would be on disc 1). I know even if they had the right to do it, EON probably wouldn't allow it, but one can dream, right? :tup:

#4 Janus Assassin

Janus Assassin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1898 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:44 AM

Never say Never should have been remade

#5 triviachamp

triviachamp

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:46 AM

View Post

The Last Remake of Thunderball! :tup:

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:54 AM

View Post

Why do you say that, Janus?

#7 triviachamp

triviachamp

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:58 AM

View Post

Why do you say that, Janus?

View Post

Because Kevin McClory needs to eat and support his nurses doesn't he? :tup:

#8 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 06:03 AM

Never Say Never Again is by far the best movie in the series.

#9 Problem Eliminator

Problem Eliminator

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 07:03 AM

View Post

Not a chance. The only thing NSNA is "by far" is disappointingly bland. There is a world of difference between "the best" and "my favorite." The latter is the only phrase that can possibly apply to this film. A sloppily made rogue picture, it is not in any "series," certainly not that of James Bond. NSNA is a stand alone attempt at putting 007 on the silver screen that fails to distinguish itself in any positive way. When compared to the best (and even the worst) official EON Bonds, NSNA is deficient in every possible area.

While worth a watch because of its easy going 80's feel and Connery's "old pro" performance, NSNA doesn't come close to warranting mention alongside the REAL Bond films. Its drab look, terrible music and small-scale boringness make this film the antithesis of a great Bond movie.

#10 Streetworker

Streetworker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 460 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 09:49 AM

NSNA is a ghastly abomination that should never have been made and serves only one useful purpose - to remind us what a disaster it would have been had any of McClory's spurious claims to the series/character actually succeeded in the courts (he "won" the original plagiarism case in 1963 only by dint of a desperately ill Ian Fleming - whose condition was surely worsened by the stress of the case - throwing in the towel).

I'm afraid, for me, NSNA is the visual record of a group of people dancing on Ian Fleming's grave. And for that I will always loathe it.

#11 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 10:01 AM

Its a fine film. Especially the Nice scenes are great. I also like the music. However after Fatima's death the film begins to be boring.

#12 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 03 December 2005 - 10:05 AM

View Post

Yes, but it's in a series of one. :tup:

#13 Streetworker

Streetworker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 460 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 10:08 AM

View Post

Yes, but it's in a series of one. :tup:

View Post

Indeed. And that's one film too many...

#14 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 11:23 AM

I

#15 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 01:50 PM

Don't mince your words, Macca007!

Emotionally, I agree although I like Connery in it and think the music was an interesting, experimental failure.

#16 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 02:14 PM

View Post

I try not to. :tup:

Emotionally, I agree although I like Connery in it and think the music was an interesting, experimental failure.

I would have been more accurate in saying that Connery is somewhat uneven in his performance. In some scenes he is at ease and doing a fine job as Bond, but others it seems as if he's just going through the motions. I'll take 1983 Roger Moore over 1983 Sean Connery any day.

I do appreciate the musical experiment, but it fails miserably if you ask me. The music doesn't work in the film and it doesn't work on it's own -- it's just dreadful.

Ugh.

#17 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 02:18 PM

I would have been more accurate in saying that Connery is somewhat uneven in his performance.  In some scenes he is at ease and doing a fine job as Bond, but others it seems as if he's just going through the motions.  I'll take 1983 Roger Moore over 1983 Sean Connery any day.

View Post

I agree totally.

Imagine how much that goes against the orthodoxy. The Bond Police will be called to get us next!

ACE

#18 mtonline

mtonline

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 388 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:35 PM

Kevin McClory, thats the first thing i think of when i hear Never Say Never Again, and BOY does it put a smile on my face. The devilish power he seems to bring to the enemy, and the power he adds to the hero, add that to good actors and MAN am i happy. Thats exactly what this movie has done to me, if this was rereleased in theatres, i would be the first in line to see it.

The style of the 80s is very present in the movie, and for some reason, i like that about it. The "sex" scene was more daring than what EON would ever allow, and up till DAD things like this would have never been concievable. Its also a cool note to add that Felix in this movie is not the same Felix as in the EON films, and yet he is almost more believable (except if u think of Hedison).

I have been waiting for another remake, just so we could see a whole new franchise, and now that EON is part of the Sony family, that VERY well could happin, but im not gettin my hopes up, all i know is that when the times right, more will come.

So, its like this:

Music: 8
Looks:8
Sex:10 (Beats any other bond film hands down)
Cast:8
Post production effects:7
Script:9

if u havent seen it, SEE IT!!!

M_T

#19 mtonline

mtonline

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 388 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:41 PM

sorry wrong area to post that.

M_T

#20 Problem Eliminator

Problem Eliminator

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 07:28 PM

[quote name='mccartney007' date='3 December 2005 - 04:23']NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN ... manages to be exactly what Bond shouldn

#21 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 04 December 2005 - 02:18 AM

View Post

I try not to. :tup:

I would have been more accurate in saying that Connery is somewhat uneven in his performance. In some scenes he is at ease and doing a fine job as Bond, but others it seems as if he's just going through the motions. I'll take 1983 Roger Moore over 1983 Sean Connery any day.

I do appreciate the musical experiment, but it fails miserably if you ask me. The music doesn't work in the film and it doesn't work on it's own -- it's just dreadful.

Ugh.

View Post

The only disapointing thing about NSNA for me is the music.

I don't mind anything else about it, but Michel Legrand failed to portray Bond musically and coming from a composer who brought us such a lush score for "The Three Musketeers" and a Goldsmith-esqe one for "Ice Station Zebra", NSNA is terribly underwhelming.

#22 BlackFelix

BlackFelix

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 345 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 05:21 AM

My affection for "Never Say Never Again" should be documented, I think it a fun and far better send off for Connery (the only movie that had a "send-off" feel.) I don't see why there has to be constant battle between this movie and "Octopussy", I like them both though NSNA wins out for the Connery factor.

In terms of its authenticity as a Bond-film, I don't really regaurd that much. The fact of a screen filled with "007" intead of a gun-barrel or Bond driving around in a Bentley/Motorcycle instead of Lotus/Aston Martin was a bit refreshing, and original. NSNA had a unfair disadvantage, that being the official films were 13 deep and had a tradition, so it's big "traditional departure" can't be ignored.

All in all, I like it alot and would give it a 3 OF 4 stars. Its not the best of the bunch, but its as entertaining as any of the Bond-films, and it bookends Connery's bond-career nicely! But if your a stickler for "the official" series I would recomend viewing the recent re-edit of the film "Never Say McClory Again", it injects all the touches of the official series(Bond logo, music, gunbarrel, pre-title) into NSNA, it's woth a viewing!

#23 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 10:54 PM

NSNA is one I really enjoy when I'm in the mood for it. I love Barbara Carrera as Fatima, and Klaus is alright as Largo. However, I cannot stand Kim as Domino, but Valerie Leon's presence more than makes up for that!
The videogame is silly, and Sean looks a bit embarrassed, but oh, well. Still, it's my least fave Sean film.
For the record, I believe Timothy Dalton is NOT in the film (bad joke....sorry).

#24 Largo65

Largo65

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 12:09 AM

Please don

Edited by Largo65, 30 December 2005 - 05:24 AM.

#25 crheath

crheath

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 12:35 AM

Part of me is curious what Never Say Never Again would be like if they put Connery's old gunbarrel sequence into the film, re-edited the beginning to be a proper pre-credit sequence, hired someone to create a main title sequence, and alowed someone to record a new "official Bond" soundtrack for the film. Would make for a great 2-Disc Ultimate Edition of the film (the original, unaltered version would be on disc 1). I know even if they had the right to do it, EON probably wouldn't allow it, but one can dream, right?

Edited by crheath, 30 December 2005 - 12:36 AM.

#26 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 02:16 AM

[quote name='Largo65' date='30 December 2005 - 00:09']Please don

#27 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:25 AM

[quote name='Largo65' date='29 December 2005 - 19:09']
For it is my contention that NSNA

#28 Largo65

Largo65

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 05:07 AM

I apologize for the confusion concerning my numbered list, Turn. The list was supposed to encourage a direct correlation between THUNDERBALL and NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN. With that in mind, I

#29 triviachamp

triviachamp

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 06:30 AM

[quote] I feel that Connery

#30 Largo65

Largo65

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 06:39 AM

[quote name='triviachamp' date='30 December 2005 - 00:30'][quote] I feel that Connery