7 replies to this topic

#1 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 17 December 2001 - 11:04 PM

Well, would you believe it. Sean Connery was fake! It was Bob Simmons who did the first three gunbarrel openings, not Connery! He now though is unfortunately dead with his last film being in my birth year, 1985, AVTAK. George Leech played as Q's assistant who got shot wearing the bullet proof jacket in GF, while BJ Worth perfomed the HALO jump in TND. The best stunts being more recently, TND, where the planes are just feet away, ny light movement could have sent either or both off corse. Goldeneye's dam bunjeejump could have sent the stunt man crashing into the wall! Credit goes out to all the stunt men for their wok and may it live long, an like Bond......Never Die

#2 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 18 December 2001 - 12:02 PM

Hear hear! I really miss the Bob Simmons choreographed fight scene. For all their technical expertise, none of his successors have quite had his dramatic flair for constructing a great punch-up.

#3 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 05 January 2002 - 10:11 AM

Mister Asterix (27 Dec, 2001 02:48 p.m.):
Who was the stuntman that performed the Eifel Tower jump in A View To A Kill?

And is it true that he died in a cliff jumping accident?
I had heard that the stuntman who performed the Eifel Tower jump parachuted off a cliff and then crashed in to the side of the cliff breaking his leg. He was then stuck on the side of the cliff and when no help came after several hours he decided to jump with his back-up parachute. Unfortunately, he was to close to the ground and died when he hit bottom. Does anyone else know this story? And if it is true?

I think I remember hearing something about this, but I can't remember where I heard it from.

#4 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 05 January 2002 - 11:14 AM

Has anyone read Bob Simmons' book "Nobody Does It Better: My 25 Years Of Stunts For James Bond And Other Stars"?

I'm thinking of ordering a copy, but it's about US$30 for a decent conditioned secondhand paperback.

Just wondered if it's worth it.

PS: I'll most likely get it anyway. :)

#5 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 24 December 2001 - 01:09 AM

You don't hear much about Martin Grace or Rick Sylvester. What's happened to them?

#6 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 27 December 2001 - 08:05 AM

I think Rick Sylvester was basically hired to do his ski/parachute jump for the film, rather than be part of the general stunt team. Martin Grace was used largely for his resemblance to Roger Moore.

#7 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 27 December 2001 - 02:48 PM

Who was the stuntman that performed the Eifel Tower jump in A View To A Kill?

And is it true that he died in a cliff jumping accident?
I had heard that the stuntman who performed the Eifel Tower jump parachuted off a cliff and then crashed in to the side of the cliff breaking his leg. He was then stuck on the side of the cliff and when no help came after several hours he decided to jump with his back-up parachute. Unfortunately, he was to close to the ground and died when he hit bottom. Does anyone else know this story? And if it is true?

#8 ShockTroop22

ShockTroop22

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 05 January 2002 - 11:50 AM

Did anyone see: "Holywood's Greatest Stunts" on UK TV this morning (1:35am)?
It had a huge feature on Simon Crane, and how he planned the Tank Chase in GE, When he doubled for Timothy Dalton in TLD, and a few other things like when he had to switch between the 2 planes in Cliffhanger.
NE1 see it?