13 replies to this topic

#1 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 08:02 AM

Continuing on in CommanderBond.net's celebration of the 10 year anniversary of GoldenEye...

Posted Image
Looking Back: GoldenEye

John Gardner's novelization of the 1995 James Bond

#2 J J

J J

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 331 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 09:15 AM

Here's an almost 1st edition for sale on eBay; though it is 3rd state it's a bit cheaper than a 'true' 1st they sold there a while ago.
http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem
Not sure yet though if I want/can to spend this much money :tup:

Edited by J J, 19 November 2005 - 09:16 AM.

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 05:02 AM

Cool UK proof!! Never saw that one before.

#4 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 06:35 AM

Does Goldeneye's incoherent script come across more intelligently in the book? The Alec apparently was killed but he was faking and Bond blew him up so he's mad even though Bond thought he was dead and did what he had to do to escape issue really haunts the movie for me. It's just piss poor logic. Does anyone know how they handle this in the book??

#5 Gri007

Gri007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:29 PM

Here's an almost 1st edition for sale on eBay; though it is 3rd state it's a bit cheaper than a 'true' 1st they sold there a while ago.
Not sure yet though if I want/can to spend this much money  :tup:

View Post

I have actaully got a copy very similar to that one. Weather or not it is first edition, I don't know. But it is a UK hardback. And I'am selling it.

So if interested please PM. I'll only sell to Uk residence though.

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 03:55 PM

[quote name='Gri007' date='20 November 2005 - 09:29'][quote name='J J' date='19 November 2005 - 09:15']Here's an almost 1st edition for sale on eBay; though it is 3rd state it's a bit cheaper than a 'true' 1st they sold there a while ago.
Not sure yet though if I want/can to spend this much money

#7 Gri007

Gri007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 05:09 PM

It's BCA

#8 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 07:50 PM

It's BCA

View Post

:tup:

#9 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 01:32 AM

I gotta ask, and perhaps it's not a question for this thread, but it's basically on-topic since this particular article is what I'm talking about.

I was wondering how it is that CBn's forum guidelines can prohibit the posting of images that happen to have the trademarked 007 logo and images, but your articles can.

#10 darthbond

darthbond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:14 PM

I serously liked the book when i was reaing it last summer. Like many, it was the first garener book I have read. The detail of the pre-credits was stunning, made it a lot eaiser to watch the film with an understanding of what the scene was about. Yet, everything has its lows. Scenes with Jack Wade in the car were a bit disapointing, long times without action made me want to skip some pages. Overall, 8/10 for me.

darthbond

#11 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:19 PM

Here's a 1st BCA up on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

#12 manfromjapan

manfromjapan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 428 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 07:46 PM

I read up to Scorpius when i was in my teens, but hadn't read any Gardner until I read Goldeneye over the last few weeks.
I know it was his penultimate book, and it seems like he didn't like the script he was working from very much - how many times do characters say 'Don't be so bloody melodramatic'? The extra scenes are interesting (and Bond's deep feelings for Natalya), but the dialogue in the finished film is much better. The book seems very by the numbers, and only hits home the point that the film-makers did an amazing job with the film since the plot makes no sense. So I guess he was hampered. Bond, though, doesn't come across as a real character at all, and his bon mots are unfunny. I much prefer the Benson novelisations.
A 3/ 5.
Gonna finish up the Bensons (HTTK, DS, NDOD) next and then start with Gardner from the beginning. I hope his books are better than this one for the most part!!!

Edited by manfromjapan, 19 October 2006 - 07:47 PM.

#13 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 02:45 AM

Interesting review, manfromjapan. I actually thought this was one of the better books in the later Gardner era.

Will be interested to hear what you think of his other novelization, Licence to Kill.

#14 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:21 AM

As for me, I absolutely loved John Gardner's Licence To Kill. It's easily in my top five of all Bond novels, which I suppose shouldn't be too surprising since the film is my favorite of all the 007 films. (Although I did read the novelization first.) Everything clicks in this book. In fact, it probably rivals Gardner's Nobody Lives Forever as my favorite novel. I can't praise this book enough. :) :P

Regarding GoldenEye, I liked it. I particularly liked the beginning with Bond's sneaking onto the dam which goes into way more detail than the film. However, the novelization is not as solid as Licence To Kill.