10 replies to this topic

#1 Friedrich Baxter

Friedrich Baxter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 20 November 2001 - 12:49 AM

We now the references of 'The Spy Who Loved Me', 'For Your Eyes Only', 'and Licence To Kill'. But is 'The World Is Not Enough'also fitting in this role? I remember Elektra saying:"Tell me Mr. Bond, heve you ever lost a love one?". In the cinema I desperately hoped 007 saying something about his wife. It was not neccessary to call her name, but a slight reference to his dramatic enden marriage was wel suited! What we get is only a pause. It's...it's enough/not enough.

#2 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 23 November 2001 - 07:12 AM

James Page (20 Nov, 2001 08:42 p.m.):

7777 (20 Nov, 2001 04:13 a.m.):
I thought the pause was enough, it shows that he still remembers, Fleming would have been proud, although he probably is doing summersaults in his grave over Denise Richards!

As a wise man once said: nothing is often a wise thing to do, and a clever thing to say.

I thought MickeyG got it spot on when any mention of Tracy was removed from the script.

I agree. "MickeyG" got it right. References to Tracy Bond should be mild and infrequent in the movies. I wasn't completely satisfied with the scene in TWINE, but I guess it still worked. Not as good as Anya's 'prying' in TSWLM though.

#3 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 23 November 2001 - 11:43 PM

It was enough for me!

#4 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 20 November 2001 - 12:57 AM

Its enough I suppose, I guess they don't want to alienate those in the audience who haven't had the pleasure of seeing the other films. Really I don't think they should worry about that sort of thing.

#5 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 20 November 2001 - 01:45 AM

Friedrich Baxter (20 Nov, 2001 12:49 a.m.):
...I remember Elektra saying:"Tell me Mr. Bond, heve you ever lost a love one?". In the cinema I desperately hoped 007 saying something about his wife. It was not neccessary to call her name, but a slight reference to his dramatic enden marriage was wel suited! What we get is only a pause. It's...it's enough/not enough.

I thought the pause was very dramatic. That slight look of dread on Bond's face was the best thing they could have done. It was perfect. If Bond would have said anything about his wife than Elektra would have won that little mini-battle. We knew what he was thinking, that's what's important. But Elektra didn't know, if she had she could have used it against him.

And we also knew the time he spent with Tracy was on his mind. What's the first thing to emerge from Bond's lips when Elektra tells him she could have given him the world? 'The world is not enough', a phrase he learned during the time of his courtship of Tracy.

#6 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 20 November 2001 - 01:59 AM

To my mind, Bond's silence was the perfect response to Elektra's question. New viewers probably thought back to the death of Paris Carver in the previous film, while those in the know immediately remembered Tracy.
Besides, by both nature and training, Bond isn't one to open up about his personal life or past, so his reticence is completely in character.

#7 MDSmith

MDSmith

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 20 November 2001 - 04:13 AM

I thought the pause was enough, it shows that he still remembers, Fleming would have been proud, although he probably is doing summersaults in his grave over Denise Richards!

#8 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 20 November 2001 - 06:29 AM

White Persian (20 Nov, 2001 01:59 a.m.):
Besides, by both nature and training, Bond isn't one to open up about his personal life or past, so his reticence is completely in character.

In the 007 Magazine (the only issue I'm lucky enough to own!) Michael Apted mentions in the press junket all the rewrites that occured. From the interview I gathered that they had dialogue written with Bond mentioning Tracy in some way, however, it was cut as Michael G Wilson correctly told them, Bond would never say it.

#9 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 20 November 2001 - 08:42 PM

7777 (20 Nov, 2001 04:13 a.m.):

As a wise man once said: nothing is often a wise thing to do, and a clever thing to say.

I thought MickeyG got it spot on when any mention of Tracy was removed from the script.

#10 Friedrich Baxter

Friedrich Baxter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 28 January 2002 - 02:54 PM

That's true yes. Bond himself never said anything about his wife. Anya Amasova is explaining everything about his wife, and for 007 that's enough. He is saying that very clear. In For Your Eyes Only it's clear, because the grafestone is the one from Tracy. In Licence To Kill, Felix Leiter explains Della, that Bond was once married with a woman. But in The World Is Not Enough, it would be very appropriate if 007 showed a little bit more emotion. Sometimes Pierce Brosnan as 007 is a little bit too hard for himself. But that was the same with Sean Connery.

#11 LeiterCIA

LeiterCIA

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 December 2001 - 07:26 PM

I think they hit Bond's response right on the mark.

If you notice, Bond himself never speaks of Tracy. In TSWLM, Anya tries to get Bond to speak of it, but he doesnt let her. In fact, I think it's Moore's very first moment of playing Fleming's Bond. Equally, Bond speaks not a word in LTK, and Felix of forced to fill in the blanks.

So in TWINE, Bond would never speak of her. He's files the memory away and focuses on the mission. I thought it was perfect.

However.... I WOULD like very much to see a much more clear and obvious reference to Tracy, and possibly even to Blofeld and Spectre. I thought the reference to his "family motto" was excellent.