17 replies to this topic

#1 Friedrich Baxter

Friedrich Baxter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 17 November 2001 - 09:52 PM

I have just watched the falling of the henchmen from planes in Moonraker, Octopussy and The Living Daylights, and they all scream the SAME! Both the man from Moonraker, Necros and the fellow from Octopussy (what was his name!). And that's not all. Also little sounds from machines and other mechanism's from Bond movies have been re-used time to time. Listen to TND when Bond opens the hatch at Carver's partycenter. We can hear the same sound again in TWINE. Also the funny sounds in the boat of Felix Leiter in TLD remeber me of past Bond movies! Do you know any more of those recycled sounds?

#2 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 21 January 2002 - 08:39 PM

Dr. Shatterhand (21 Jan, 2002 03:37 p.m.): (edited)
02. The space station twisting apart in MR and the elevator cables breaking in AVTAK

I forgot about those ones.

#3 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 31 December 2001 - 02:56 AM

This is a very good topic. My friend and I used to notice these all the time.

I don't think this has been mentioned, but the man who falls out of Max Zorin's zeppelin, yells the same as Gobinda, Necros and the man in the pre-title sequence of Moonraker ("This is where we leave you Mr. Bond.").

#4 Dmitri Mishkin

Dmitri Mishkin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 17 December 2001 - 01:23 AM

scaramanga (23 Nov, 2001 07:15 a.m.):

James Page (20 Nov, 2001 08:47 p.m.):
Can anyone pin it down to a scene in TWINE?

Do tell. Is it the lift Renard escapes in in the bunker, just before the bomb goes off?

It's when Renard escapes in the bunker. In the background, behind the sounds of gunfire between Bond and Renard firing at each other, we get the sound. Apparently, it must be some sort of door or hatch closing.

I noticed this sound immediately when watching TWINE (must've been because I'd watched TND right prior to it :)), and I knew there was something about that sound that was eerily familiar. Arnold truly did recycle it! Interesting.

This begs in the inevitable question, did Arnold feel this sound fit the scene well, or simply ran out of useful effects? :)

#5 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 31 December 2001 - 04:22 AM

I've just listened to those yells again. I don't think they're as similar as I thought.

Maybe someone else could have a listen.

#6 Friedrich Baxter

Friedrich Baxter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 17 December 2001 - 09:56 AM

Another example! Compare A View To A Kill with The Spy Who Loved Me.

When there is a meeting of industrialists at Zorin's zeppelin, there is one Chinese man who doesn't want to take part in Zorin's crazy project. MayDay takes the man out of the room, and then you hear a very particualr sound of an opening door. A sound that is exactly the same as the opening lift doors of Stromberg's Atlantis!

THAT'S a good example of recycling!

#7 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 20 November 2001 - 08:45 PM

I watched TND the other day, after watching TWINE ony last week (not on TV mind!) and the hatch door on Gupta's roof lab did sound *very* familiar!

I also noticed a lot of the BMW gadget sound effects were also reused in TWINE.

Maybe we could all pitch in and buy EON a new Foley CD for Christmas :)

#8 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 31 December 2001 - 03:17 AM

Also listen to the man who gets a massive shot of electric through his temples in the pre-title sequence of For Your Eyes Only (Well, it's something like that) and then listen to one of the men who gets shot with a laser gun near the end of Moonraker.

I mean one of the men who come running out of one of the space station corridors, just before Bond goes into the same corridor to get Drax.

#9 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 17 December 2001 - 10:20 PM

lol - this is a great topic - I'll have to look out for these more often.

With Necros and the man in Moonraker screaming, I had already noticed that, but where in Octopussy do you hear it?

#10 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 17 December 2001 - 11:13 PM

Dave (17 Dec, 2001 10:20 p.m.):
lol - this is a great topic - I'll have to look out for these more often.

With Necros and the man in Moonraker screaming, I had already noticed that, but where in Octopussy do you hear it?

Probably, when Gobinda falls from the plane - he screams then.

#11 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 23 November 2001 - 07:25 AM

Was it when Bond and Christmas were escaping from the submarine using the torpedeo launcher, and the hatch closed?

#12 Friedrich Baxter

Friedrich Baxter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 20 November 2001 - 12:40 AM

And, already spotted some of these recycled sounds?

#13 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 23 November 2001 - 07:15 AM

James Page (20 Nov, 2001 08:47 p.m.):

Do tell. Is it the lift Renard escapes in in the bunker, just before the bomb goes off?

#14 Dr. Shatterhand

Dr. Shatterhand

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 January 2002 - 07:51 PM

I think so. I am not near my video collection to verify, but the same sound effect is used at the beginning of the laser table scene in GF. Listen to both scenes and you'll know for sure.

#15 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 21 January 2002 - 04:48 PM

Is the sound you're refering to in Dr. No the part where we see a man operating some mechanical arms enclosed in a room?

#16 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 23 January 2002 - 02:03 AM

Dr. Tynan (31 Dec, 2001 02:56 a.m.): I don't think this has been mentioned, but the man who falls out of Max Zorin's zeppelin, yells the same as Gobinda, Necros and the man in the pre-title sequence of Moonraker ("This is where we leave you Mr. Bond.").

Actually, I aint sure if I'm right about this. Doesn't the "Zeppelin guy" yell the same as Necros and Gobinda, after we see Mayday putting on her glasses? Maybe I'm wrong.

#17 Dr. Shatterhand

Dr. Shatterhand

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 January 2002 - 03:37 PM

Many sound effects were repeated throughout the Bond films. As pointed out the screams of Gobinda and Necros are the same.

As for other films here is a short list:

01. Dr. No's laboratory sound effect and Goldfinger's laser table scene. Both happen at the beginning of the scene.

02. The space station twisting apart in MR and the elevator cables breaking in AVTAK

03. The bobsled fight in OHMSS and the elevator falling down the shaft in AVTAK.

Just a few - more to come.

#18 Friedrich Baxter

Friedrich Baxter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 21 January 2002 - 01:54 PM

What about the funny background sound when 007 is almost being killed by Auric Goldfinger with a laser? I think that sound also had a 'role' in another 007 movie. Does anyone know which one?