Richard Maibaum

3 replies to this topic

#1 alexgilbert

alexgilbert

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 November 2001 - 10:19 AM

Anyone knows any info on the early Richard Maibaum treatment that was supposed to feature a prequel to the Bond series?
And about the early draft for Octopussy, by the way, where she wanted revenge against Blofeld?

#2 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 05 December 2001 - 11:54 PM

alexgilbert (11 Nov, 2001 10:19 a.m.):
Anyone knows any info on the early Richard Maibaum treatment that was supposed to feature a prequel to the Bond series?
And about the early draft for Octopussy, by the way, where she wanted revenge against Blofeld?

There was a propsal in the eighties that the next Bond film should be flashback to Bond's first case, how he was awarded a "Licence to Kill" etc.
Michael Praed (Robin of Sherwood), then in his mid twenties, was mentioned.
Michael G. Wilson discusses it on one of the Special Edition videos (L.D.?), but says Cubby nixed the idea, though Wilson still seems kinda keen on the notion.
As for the early Octopussy idea, that's mentioned in an edition of Jim Steranko's Mediascene magazine, with Sybil Danning on the cover (she was supposedly playing Octopussy). Hard to say how much was speculation, especially since "Blofeld" had been killed off in FYEO, and McClory was claiming rights to the character.

#3 alexgilbert

alexgilbert

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 November 2001 - 05:05 PM

Thinks for the info, Daniel. Is could you please, please, please give me as much information as possible on other "what if"s of Goldeneye? Please.
By the way, will you post RossMan Bond fic on this site?

#4 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 12 November 2001 - 10:35 PM

An early treatment by Maibaum that featured a prequel? I know nothing sadly. But God it sounds interesting. I do know that Michael France's first draft of GE had a flashback where Bond was on a mission to do with Trevelyan (who had been 'captured' by the Russians) with 002 and 005, the latter was a woman. I guess that's more of a prequel/flashback to GE but in the end it gets dealt with in the pre-titles sequence of GE.

As for Octopussy, I know very little. But I have heard about this before. For a reason that escapes me now Octopussy wants revenge upon Blofeld - he obviously crossed her somehow. Knowing that Bond also has a vendetta with Blofeld, Octopussy draws 007 into the caper to do her dirtywork.

It would be great to get a pile of information on these two topics. They'd make for great reading and a great article.