39 replies to this topic

#31 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 20 January 2002 - 02:36 PM

I actually think it's a tie between Licence to Kill and A View to a Kill, both are just cases of the original being better, Licence Revoked and From a View to a Kill, Tomorrow Never Dies is cooler than Tomorrow Never Lies, but isn't as nonsensical as some say, Carver's paper is tomorrow and while it may make more sense that it doesn't lie, it's cooler to use die because you can expand it to include carver, after all the paper is all him...
but really there are no bad titles, let's just hope 20 isn't called if looks could kill, it would make me vomit...

#32 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 05 December 2001 - 07:17 PM

DJ (04 Dec, 2001 10:11 p.m.):
but I am really upset at the lack of imagination they gave to it

Who's they? Ian Fleming titled the book when he wrote it! It seems unlikely that Broccoli and Saltzman would change the title, especially for the first film in the series. If anyone is to blame for the title being unimaginative, then its Ian Fleming himself. But, I for one, think all of Fleming's titles to be completely unchangeable. I mean could you imagine the likes of Diamonds Are Forever, From Russia With Love and Goldfinger with different titles?

#33 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 05 December 2001 - 11:34 PM

I'm sufficiently old to remember (just) when Dr. No came out, and can assure you that at the time the title was intriguing and provocative. I'm sure it was an influence on the BBC's Doctor Who, which aims for the same sort of mysterious flavour.

My vote for lamest title is "Licence To Kill". By 1989 it'd gone past "catch phrase" status to cliche. Even Bond ripoffs had used something almost the same.
And when you consider that it was almost the attention grabbing "Licence Revoked"...

I just hope Bond 20 is given an intriguing, poetic, Flemingesque title...if it ever gets one.

#34 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 05 December 2001 - 11:40 PM

macca_bond (13 Nov, 2001 03:51 p.m.):
For me the worst title is TMWTGG..! It's a little bit too obvious/descriptive and leaves nothing to the imagination!!

The Man With The Golden Gun, like a number of Fleming's titles is a twist on a familiar phrase, in this case the novel (and subsequent film) "The Man With The Golden Arm".
I'll grant you though that it isn't Fleming's most inspired title. Wonder if he'd have come up with something better if he'd lived.

#35 Adam

Adam

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 335 posts

Posted 18 January 2002 - 12:21 AM

that's what I was thinking about License Revoked--it sounds like a 1993 Jean-Claude Van Damme movie...but I still like it better than License to Kill.

#36 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 17 January 2002 - 10:44 AM

The problem with 'Licence Revoked' is that it sounds like its a car licence thats being revoked rather than a licence to kill. :)

Worst title sequence, Hmm, I guess things got a little unimaginitive from Octopussy to The Living Daylights, not alot in those preventing you from pushing the 'fast forward' button (or 'skip' button for those with DVD players), but its not like there bad or anything. TWINE, I didn't like that much, looks a bit yuck in some parts, I guess thats probably the worst one, but it did try to be different.

#37 Adam

Adam

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 335 posts

Posted 17 January 2002 - 07:59 AM

LICENSE REVOKED is such a better name than LICENSE TO KILL--you're right--LTK is such a cliche. I knew that phrase before I'd ever even heard of James Bond.

Now a new thought--which film had the worst title SEQUENCE? I'd have to vote for TND; and in second I'd say OP b/c I found it boring.

#38 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 02 November 2001 - 11:43 AM

Tomorrow Never Dies is the worst Bond title ever! What did they not stick with Tomorrow Never Lies or Aquator or even something like The Camera Never Lies?

#39 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 02 November 2001 - 09:30 PM

scaramanga (02 Nov, 2001 11:43 a.m.):
Tomorrow Never Dies is the worst Bond title ever! What did they not stick with Tomorrow Never Lies or Aquator or even something like The Camera Never Lies?

Agreed. I don't like Aquator but at least I have a clue about what it means.

#40 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 02 November 2001 - 10:03 PM

Mister Asterix (02 Nov, 2001 09:30 p.m.):

scaramanga (02 Nov, 2001 11:43 a.m.):

Agreed. I don't like Aquator but at least I have a clue about what it means.

Personally, I like the title Aquator, I think its a shame it wasn't the title. It could have been the name of Carver's stealth ship. 'Welcome to Aquator, Mister Bond'. If I could only re-write one Bond film, it would be TND.