#1 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 01:55 AM

Oh. My. God.

WHAT a cliffhanger for series 5. Did anyone watch it? Good reactions, etc?

I hope what may happen doesn't happen. I really do. (I do understand this is TV fluff, but it is rather good)

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 05:02 AM

Oh. My. God.

I hope what may happen doesn't happen. I really do. (I do understand this is TV fluff, but it is rather good)

View Post

God, I'm still waiting for the DVD release of season three! :tup:

#3 Lazenby880

Lazenby880

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 09:46 AM

Oh. My. God.

View Post

Excellently executed cliffhanger: What a shock. It all happens in the last few minutes incredibly quickly and I could scarcely believe it. I shan't spoil it for people who have not seen the episode yet, but the whole thing was great.

Indeed, although I enjoyed the third season very much, with the fourth Spooks really found its niche again. Exciting, intelligent and fast-paced; hopefully the fifth will be as good.

#4 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 10:16 AM

I'll make a new thread.

#5 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 10:34 AM

I just didn't think it was that shocking. After seeing main cast members apparently blown up, commit suicide, get shot at point blank range with a shotgun etc. in previous series cliffhangers and then reappear wearing their arm in a sling the next series, I'm not buying that either Adam or Harry will be harmed. We've been a bit spoiled by Spooks, shock-wise.

Good episode, though. Nice twist.

#6 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 03:09 PM

The wait over here is driving me nuts.

#7 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 08:16 PM

I just didn't think it was that shocking. After seeing main cast members apparently blown up, commit suicide, get shot at point blank range with a shotgun etc. in previous series cliffhangers and then reappear wearing their arm in a sling the next series, I'm not buying that either Adam or Harry will be harmed. We've been a bit spoiled by Spooks, shock-wise.

Good episode, though. Nice twist.

View Post

Ah, Mark, don't you see? They're getting inside....They're getting inside your brainmind and making you believe things, you think you're in the comfort zone and they could pull the rug out from under you come October 2006. Saying that though, I wouldn't be displeased if both of them survived. I enjoy Peter Firth's embellished style of character, and although Penry-Jones is no McFadyen, he's a solid replacement.

That aside, surely you're not telling me you found the twist-on-twist cliffhanger pedestrian? I was on the edge of my seat, but maybe I'm easily pleased. Good final shot though, wouldn't you say? Nice digital zoomery.

Maybe the resolution of a cliffhanger, no matter how shocking, is itself a disappointment? I suppose time will tell.

#8 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 09:26 PM

Series Five Spoilers.

Harry and Ruth marry and raise Adam and Fiona's orphaned son Wesley. Uncles Malcolm and Colin kit him out with some cool (not to mention deadly) toys, and he's spun off in to his own franchise as a teen-agent.

Alex Ryder? Never heard of him.

#9 Bond Bombshell

Bond Bombshell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 02:19 AM

I felt a tad let down by this season's finale, which is a shame because I think that the series as a whole has been terrific. Perhaps, its because the season 3 finale was just about the most dramatic and intense thing I'd seen on TV, and they were never going to be able to match that. The whole episode never really came alive for me until the last few minutes, during which I got the uncomfortable impression that they suddenly realised that time was running out for a cliffhanger, so they better shoot someone.

Spooks is still the best show on British TV IMO. This opinion is shared by Tory leadership contender David Cameron, who when asked to choose between Come Dancing and The X Factor replied, "neither, Spooks". Good for him, although I wonder what he thought of the episode in which some Tory MPs crossed over to a racist party!

#10 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 08:06 AM

Finally came around to watching the final three episodes, and I do have to agree that it appeared in the end that the writers seemed to realise that there were five minutes left in the season and they had to pick someone to shoot this year, and yet...

watching Adam cough up that blood was very disturbing. Effective stuff, especially when seen from Harry's perspective at street level. Kudos all around, and now the long wait begins :tup: .

Edited by clinkeroo, 19 November 2005 - 08:06 AM.

#11 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 03:57 AM

Is the bbc/spooks site down?

#12 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 06:07 AM

View Post

Just logged on, seems to be fine :tup: .

#13 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 06:30 AM

View Post

Just logged on, seems to be fine :D .

View Post

Damn, still down. :tup:

#14 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 09:22 AM

Kudos all around, and now the long wait begins  :tup: .

View Post

You know that's the name of the production company who make Spooks, of course! Nice pun!

#15 manfromjapan

manfromjapan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 428 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:44 PM

Since I have been in Japan since 1999, I had never seen Spooks. Until the first three seasons came on rental a few months ago. I thought the show was a bit 'Mickey Mouse' at first, but it's getting better. I just watched the 11th and 12th episodes, perhaps the best thus far. The latter is the one where Bush visits the UK, the former a really great one where the MI5 office has an exercise that may or may not be real. After I have finished season 3, I may have to get my brother in the UK to send me his season 4 DVD set for a little while!!

#16 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:27 PM

I don't get how you could ever accuse the early seasons of Spooks of being a bit 'mickey mouse'. The later seasons, perhaps, when the plots can get a bit fantastical - but the early ones seem fairly realistic and the constantly changing main cast certainly give the series something different to traditional shows where the cast can be static for years.

We're now onto our third lead character in seven seasons and the seasons themselves are always oddly prescient in their choice of plot.

#17 Capt Britain

Capt Britain

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:53 PM

Kudos all around, and now the long wait begins  :( .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know that's the name of the production company who make Spooks, of course! Nice pun!

Spooks Season 7 Ep 1 & 2 on Stage force one Now!!!http://thejedi.ning....spooksseasonvii
divx player required , free membership . So just register and enjoy.
cb.

Edited by Capt Britain, 29 October 2008 - 05:54 PM.

#18 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:51 PM

I've only just discovered this series last week when I ordered the first season DVDs. Spooks currently isn't aired on free-tv in Germany, only on Fox pay-tv, which I wanted to avoid ordering. I've watched the first four episodes and frankly enjoyed them far, far more than season six of 24 (which I watched the previous week).

Truly a great show so far and I feel I'm in for a treat here as I have six more seasons to track down. Very interesting cast and characters, far from the bland stereotypes that usually feature in this genre. There is a decidedly murkier side to almost all of them and one isn't too inclined to envy them for their jobs and career. Spying, whether abroad or at home, is difficult business and seems to complicate the lives of its protagonists beyond the mere physical dangers that accompain their missions.

And those missions surely feature their fair share of physical dangers. Action aplenty without stuffing every episode with a zillion handguns and an estimated number of 8000+ shots from these items. Unlike 24, definitely not a one-hour tv-spot for the products of Heckler&Koch, Smith&Wesson and the like. At the moment it would seem to me, MI5's Section D operatives mainly are armed with their false documents. And truly, little else is needed; there's no lack of excitement, suspense and thrills. Or of pure old physical hairraising danger. The second episode, while starting out as a fairly straight undercover probe, really can scare the living daylights out of audiences. Excellent!

Which brings up the missions themselves. Being merely a humble novice to Spooks, I'm still way from judging the series as a whole right at the moment. But what I can testify to is that it really doesn't need

-an attempt on the life of a candidate for a major politic position

-an attempt on the life of a holder of said major politic position

-a single nuclear device set on detonation within the next [insert-any-number-up-to-
24] hours

-a single biological device set on detonation within the next [insert-any-number-up-
to-24] hours

-several devices of nuclear/biological/chemical nature set on detonation within the
next [insert-any-number-up-to-24] hours

-a military Coup d'état in combination with one or any number of the aforementioned

to produce a stunningly well made tv show. Drama, thrills and suspense are possible even if not everything is at stake on every single episode. There is a larger picture, there is a bigger scale, there are consequences that can potentially alter the fate of nations, peoples, maybe even my own bank account. But all of these are hidden behind innumerable layers of red tape, newspaper pages and classified files. We (that is we, the audiences) can make a, sometimes educated, guess. But that's really all we can ever make. We never get the impression we're shown the whole picture.

That's splendid, just what I was looking for.

And, apart from all of that, I've got a deadly crush for Jenny Agutter since about 1975 and if (big IF) I ever marry again it's got to be her and nobody else!!!

#19 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:02 PM

Thanks for sharing that video site, excellent quality!

#20 Capt Britain

Capt Britain

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 02:08 PM

You're welcome .The next episodes will be up and running in a week .http://thejedi.ning....spooksseasonvii

Edited by Capt Britain, 03 November 2008 - 02:09 PM.

#21 manfromjapan

manfromjapan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 428 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 12:55 AM

I am hooked!! I just ordered all the DVD sets from amazon.co.uk.

#22 Capt Britain

Capt Britain

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 03:13 PM

You're welcome .The next episodes will be up and running in a week .http://thejedi.ning....spooksseasonvii

Episode 4 now available to view.

#23 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:14 AM

Wanted to bring this one back, but does anyone watch this great show? It blows my mind every week. Thoughts on Series 9?

#24 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:13 AM

It's been a little off this series, but last night's was a cracker.

#25 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:31 PM

I feel cheated that
Spoiler
and has just sort of become a damsel in distress. That being said, I am looking forward to the
Spoiler
and the confrontation with Harry to follow.

(Just thought I'd throw some tags on to be safe.)

#26 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:38 PM

Wanted to bring this one back, but does anyone watch this great show? It blows my mind every week. Thoughts on Series 9?

Absolutely.
I love the pace of the action.
This series has the added twist that Lucas is not what he appears to be.
I'm looking forward to understanding the plot on this thread.

Last night was superb; Malcolm, back in the action was a solid relief; until the furniture disappeared.
Lucas allowing the Hacker (maybe a little too "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo") to die was chilling

#27 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:30 AM

I'm looking forward to understanding the plot on this thread.

I'm relying on you for that.

In all seriousness though, they seemed to have hit the climax early. Episode 7 is next week when the preview had a Episode 8 finale feel to it. Terribly exciting all around though. Can't wait as always.

#28 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:11 AM

Wow. Anybody just watch episode 7? Heart pounding.

#29 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 12:31 AM

Wow. Anybody just watch episode 7? Heart pounding.

Great episode, despite a few rather questionable accents going on! Nice to see Wandsworth Town Hall doubling for an African embassy; not the most obvious choice I'd have thought.

#30 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 12:49 PM

Wow, they are really going balls out this year! :tup: