6 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 18 October 2001 - 05:49 AM

I purposely didn't put this in the Pierce Brosnan section because personally I'd like to see Dame Judi Dench's interpretation of M move on into the next Bond's reign. That said, one day she'd have to retire from the role.

What I'd like to see (almost as we did with Q) is the fact that she is going to retire. I'd like her to mention it somewhere in the film say she's retireing.

Why? So we can speculate on who the new M will be.'

Star Wars fans get a lot of continuity and guessing and all sorts of behind the scenes that we as Bond fans aren't always treated to. It's about time we got something, I think this would be an interesting way :)

#2 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 19 October 2001 - 02:03 AM

Should Dame Judi decide well in advance that she wants to give up the role of M, I think that there would be a perfect opportunity for the scripters to plot her assassination in her last Bond movie.

The whole 00 section is assigned, after a tipoff of some sort, to find this mysterious would-be assassin before he/she gets to her.

Does she survive? Does she get killed?

Half way through the movie she IS assassinated! Shock value to the max.

MI6 is in disarray, Tanner steps in temporarily but is unsure of himself.

Time for Bond to kick :).

The hunt steps into warp speed mode to get the assassin.

As I'm not a huge follower of Bond fan fiction, I apologise if this scenario resembles an already existing premise. Someone can elaborate on this as I am also not very imaginative, literally speaking.

But, what an opportunity for the Bond series.

#3 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 20 October 2001 - 10:41 PM

Mister Asterix (19 Oct, 2001 06:11 p.m.):
This scenario would make the movie one cohesive hunt for the assassin and give the film makers the chance to introduce a new M.

I like Blofelds_cat's idea of having Tanner take over. That way he gets a nice dramatic role and to top it all off we get 2 years of speculating in the Bond ** Forums over who should take over!

#4 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 18 October 2001 - 10:34 PM

This is a nice idea from a fan point of view, and my nomination for new M would be Robert Hardy, but within Bond's world, I'm not sure that an "M" would allow it to be known that they were contemplating retirement, lest they be seen as a lame duck and lose authority - not within the service so much as with the politicians thatthey also have to deal with. I'd imagine that an heir apparent M would always be on standby in case of illness or death anyway.
Actually, I suppose the obvious replacement should be Tanner, but he's too much Bond's contemporary perhaps for this to work filmically.

#5 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 20 October 2001 - 10:26 AM

White Persian (20 Oct, 2001 11:01 a.m.):
But would Dame Judi sign up for a movie in which she dies before the movie even gets started?

The idea behind this whole line of thinking is that Dame J would have already decided well beforehand not to continue with the role.

Hopefully she would not mind spending a couple of days shooting (no pun intended) her scenes, and then gracefully fade into Bond folklore.

Nothing worse than a major recurring character suddenly disappearing with the excuse of retirement. At least this way there would be proper closure, however brutal and shocking.

That's why, I sure, everyone would rather prefer scenes relating to DL's Q in Bond 20 instead of just a passing comment in the middle of a conversation, e.g. the lame references to previous Ms.

Characters like that deserve more than just a footnote of their passing in Bond history.

#6 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 20 October 2001 - 10:01 AM

But would Dame Judi sign up for a movie in which she dies before the movie even gets started?

I do like Blofeld's Cat's idea, though. It'd give Dame J. a nice dramatic role before she bought the farm, and I'd really like to see 007 in an investigative role.

#7 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 19 October 2001 - 05:11 PM

blofelds_cat (19 Oct, 2001 03:03 a.m.):
...I think that there would be a perfect opportunity for the scripters to plot her assassination in her last Bond movie.

I like that idea my white furred friend. I would do the nasty deed in the pre-title sequence. Starting off the movie from the assassins point of view, the viewer would assume the assassin is after Bond. (The assassin could even be a left over from a previous movie. (Irma Bunt?)) Finally, we see the target is M. Then a bullet to the head and right in to the titles. No Bond in the pre-titles ala FRWL and LALD or maybe just enough to make the viewer believe he is the target.

This scenario would make the movie one cohesive hunt for the assassin and give the film makers the chance to introduce a new M.