This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Rate/Review: 'James Bond: From Russia With Love'

58 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate 'James Bond 007: From Russia With Love' (134 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate 'James Bond 007: From Russia With Love'

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Xenia Onatopps No 1 Fan

Xenia Onatopps No 1 Fan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 12:57 AM

its not as good as everything or nothing but it still a solid game....plus its cool playing as Connery!

3 stars definetly

Edited by Xenia Onatopps No 1 Fan, 03 January 2006 - 12:57 AM.

#32 commanderblond

commanderblond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 07:50 PM

From Russia With Love should have been a great return to form for EA after the disaster that was Rogue Agent. Instead of a great game along the lines of Everything or Nothing, they gave us an OK game that can be played through in a couple of days.

The likenesses are spot on and the voice acting is of a very high standard - except for Connery, who I maintain sounds more like a doddery old man rather than the world's greatest secret agent. His performance is extremely lazy compared to the tough, no-nonsense character he portrayed on the big screen.

Gameplay is limited, once you've got the upgrades to your various guns, the various henchmen seem to cease being a threat. The hand to hand combat is virtually non-existant as well, a real shame, as one of the trademarks of the Connery films were the often brutal fights between 007 and the bad guys.

I was also rather dissapointed - though looking back, hardly surprised - that EA chose to have a final bossfight between 007 and Red Grant in a huge killing machine (Oh look, its got multiple arms. Like an Octopus... ah, do you see what they did there?) Its something of a cliche in games and movies, but it's hardly a challenge when you can hide behind the wall and pop out every now and again to let off a few rounds.

I can't help but think that it would have been better to create an original Connery era adventure, giving EA carte blanche with the story, rather then shoehorning lots of disjointed feeling bits into what was a fairly straightforward plot. Its sad, but this game is not worth the best part of 40 quid.

:tup: :D

#33 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 06:04 PM

I gave it a 2 since it was so easy that it did not present any challenge at all. I got the game on Wednesday night and just beat it a couple of minutes ago on the "00 Agent" setting. Also, the way that they just cut everything important out of the storyline wasn't good either. While the story was good and would have probably made for a decent "original" Bond game, it just wasn't From Russia With Love. It was more like an original storyline featuring some of FRWL's characters.

#34 Blonde Bond

Blonde Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:58 PM

Ok, I finally gave into temptation, when I saw the game with 29.90

#35 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 06:38 PM

I have mixed feelings about the game. While I like it better than a lot of new games out on the market, it is fourth behind Goldeneye, EON and Nightfire IMO. It's still WORLDS and WORLDS better than the awful Agent Under Fire (with the slow speed big bullets and difficult controls) and the other previous generation console Bond games.

And why FRWL? Great movie. Terrible choice for a video game. I would have chosen almost any of Connery's movies before FRWL.

The driving levels are tiresome and repetitive - I hate having to just repeatedly machine gun other cars until they blow up - YAWN (as they are whenever they add driving in most shooters). Rarely does this come off well.

Finally, there's just not enough to do in this game, not enough creativity, not enough upgrades, not difficult enough (wow, this is an easy game - even at the 007 level), not enough bad guys, too linear - not enough freedom. Also, these kinds of games need to make you THINK more and stregize.

Now for the good part. It's great fun playing as Connery's Bond - although his age REALLY shows - heavy accent, and muffled. It just doesn't look quite right seeing an old guy's voice coming out of a 30 something Bond. He sounds much older than I think Moore would at this point. Still, it's fun Connery him back.

I like the targeting set up - although I liked EON a bit better. The controls are generally good - camera doesn't always pan like I would like - but oh well - the camera controls are easy enough. The bad guys are both too easy and too hard to kill at times. Some guys take MULTIPLE head shots to kill (DIE YOU BAD GUY, DIE ALREADY!), some guys, all you have to do is shoot their handgrenade and BOOM they're history. Fun, but too easy.

The remote helicopter is fun, but the spider is better in EON. Rapelling is OK, but not ANYTHING like EON where it's fun and a key part of the game.

The 60's era is cool, but the 70's (with Moore) would be more so for a game.

The music and title sequence was very well done. The multi-player is enjoyable as well as some of the video clips and extras.

Yet, this game is still fun and playable. All in all I enjoy it and am glad I bought it.

Regards.

#36 Blonde Bond

Blonde Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:14 PM

I was a bit disappointed, like I was expecting, when I bought a game that was based on an older,not so action oriented Bond movie. The end was a bit too pathetic. Sure, I liked the secret base, but the ending with another villain with a doom's day machine, was just too unoriginal. Also given that the character should have died in the trainstation. It was so EON, and they should have thought a better boss battle. Also I dont know what was the deal with two new bond girls,when they didnt add anything to the story or to the game. The first of the new girls was only in the first level and the bad girl wasnt even all tha convincing, like Heidi was in EON. There wasnt really any surprizes and it felt like EA had played it safe, adding nothing new after EON's success. It even felt like they had taken something out. The good thing was, that this time the game wasnt that frustrating in the end, like EON's few final levels were. Especially the one without continue points.

It had the bond feel to it, but sometimes that's not enough.

Edited by Blonde Bond, 09 May 2006 - 08:16 PM.

#37 mrsbonds_ppk

mrsbonds_ppk

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1297 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:19 PM

I finished this game last night and I thought it was fun. I liked the Inventory thingy a lot and how you got to change Bond's outfits. I thought the graphics were Grade A because of how they made Sean Connery look he and he was actually moving his face and all that. The only thing is I thought it was too short. Sean Connery's voice is much older sounding now, but still very cool hearing him talk like Bond. You could tell in one of the extras that he had a blast doing it.

4/5

Edited by mrsbonds_ppk, 10 July 2007 - 05:19 PM.

#38 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:10 PM

It's a great game. I've been playing it a lot again lately.

The missions are fun, the graphics are among the best on PS2, and the multiplayer is awesome.

I'll give it a four out of five.

#39 Blonde Bond

Blonde Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:34 AM

You could tell in one of the extras that he had a blast doing it.

And what extra was that? I'm sorry, but I cant remember any 'making of' type of extras in my copy of FRWL...

It would be interesting too see it.

#40 mrsbonds_ppk

mrsbonds_ppk

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1297 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 03:19 AM

You could tell in one of the extras that he had a blast doing it.

And what extra was that? I'm sorry, but I cant remember any 'making of' type of extras in my copy of FRWL...

It would be interesting too see it.

Do you still have the game? If so play a couple levels again and when you get so many points you can unlock many features. I'll look at the game again to let you know exactly what to do.

Edited by mrsbonds_ppk, 03 September 2007 - 03:19 AM.

#41 Blonde Bond

Blonde Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 05:33 AM

Yeah, I still have the game and have many points to spare.

I wonder if I need to first unlock the airport bonus level?

(With me, it'll take another year to unlock it)

#42 HH007

HH007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1833 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 07:20 PM

I got this game from Best Buy for about $10 a few months ago, and frankly I enjoy it a lot. It's really cool playing as Connery in a classic Bond setting.

#43 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 02:05 PM

Hmmmm, not very positive over this one, its a solid game,
but not as good as Everything or Nothing, NightFire or Agent Under Fire for that matter. Its cool playing Connery though and driving the classic DB5, Oh and I like the free roaming in MI6. :D :P

:D

#44 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:52 PM

I love this game.
I've had it for the better part of a year and while not playing it for a few months certainly slows down finishing it i was no where near finishing it to the point where i gave it to my gf to finish it for me.I'm not sure what level it is but i only got up to the level where you're trying to get to the boat/gondola.But from what i did/have played i give it a 5.I know alot of people would like to see films like OHMSS & TSWLM into games because of there story/action sequences/fantasy elements(TSWLM) But for some reason i'd like to see LALD turned into a game.

#45 David007

David007

Cadet

• Crew
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:45 PM

i personally enjoyed it. the game wasnt too tough but it definately wasnt easy and it had all sorts of missions to play i liked it a lot.

#46 BamesJond007

BamesJond007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 05:34 PM

I love the game, it was easy enough to where you didn't freak out, but it was still a challenge enough to where the game lasted.

#47 Shadow Syndicate

Shadow Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 04:05 AM

Just escaped with the lektor...A 3.5 would be best, but i'll have to settle with a 3. I loved the 60's enviorment, and i loved the briefing with M and flirting with Moneypenny, and seeing Q. That was great. I wanted that in a bond game forever(to be fair, "James Bond" for Gameboy had that, but...it doesn't count, even though it was very good, haha, to simulate M balding, they had a circle with verticle lines going across it. That was supposed to be the top of his head.) Graphics were great, I for one liked the driving. For controls tho, I think they should have made it more like Indiana Jones and the emperors tomb. For instance, while unarmed, A was right/left hook, and X was uppercut. With a gun in your hands A was shoot, and X was pistol whip. Then there was more advance moves like pressing X and A at the same time to grab a guy from behind, and using the thumb stick to throw him, anywhere from into a wall or off a 100ft ledge. oh, and after knocking a guy off his feet, you could kick him in the stomach with the X button. You could also 'interact' with your surroundings, by picking up lead pipes, chairs, wine bottles or even human skulls to use as weapons, by throwing or smacking. In my mind IJ&TET had the best 3rd person gameplay, and I wish FRWL had a similar set up, which would have kicked serious [censored]. I can only hope they utilize it in the next game. I also wish they would have done a totally original 60's set game, while still keeping Connery. That's all I have to say...sorry, this is probably my longest post so far

#48 agentjamesbond007

agentjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:24 AM

On a 1-5 scale, I would rate the first time playing it a 4 and replaying it a 2. I find not much interest in replaying it. I t just gets boring.

#49 Blonde Bond

Blonde Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:21 PM

When I think of this game, I will always remember those over-sized ape like Russians with a frikkin Miniguns and disappearing enemies.

I thought Everything or Nothing was more realistic. More realistically shaped foes, who don't disappear second after you've shot them.

But the hand-to-hand combat was done better in this game. Much more simplistic!

#50 007Bond007

007Bond007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 10:37 PM

I can say this with pride FRWL the game was the best james bond game yet.

#51 agent010

agent010

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:02 PM

For anyone who's interested, an ebay seller has listed an auction for 3 xbox games, 007 from russia with love, everything or nothing and agent under fire!

#52 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:27 AM

I've been playing this after a lengthy hiatus, and while it could have been better, I've still enjoyed it a great deal.

Playing in the 1960s with Connery is brilliant. They translated the costumes, vehicles and aura of the period quite well. I’m glad the way too cool shoot from the hip stance of Connery was integrated. Sure, I could criticize Connery’s voice-over work, but it’s Connery nonetheless. I’m glad the man took part in the project.

I love the references to the past Connery films, so far I've noted:

The strong plot of From Russia With Love, obviously.
The Aston Martin DB5 from Goldfinger.
The jetpack from Thunderball.
The lair assault finale reminiscent of You Only Live Twice.
A femme fatale of sorts.
The option to wear the white tuxedo from Goldfinger and the black ops gear.

#53 007FANATIC

007FANATIC

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:46 PM

I love it!
It's awesome to have Connery, my 2nd favorite Bond, doing the voicework.
The "Bond focus" aiming feature is just awesome!
5/5 all the way!

Edited by 007FANATIC, 01 May 2009 - 04:16 AM.

#54 007FANATIC

007FANATIC

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:47 AM

I now like Quantum of Solace. much better.

Edited by 007FANATIC, 05 May 2009 - 04:21 PM.

#55 Janus Assassin

Janus Assassin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1898 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 03:17 PM

Well after my Xbox 360 received the red rings of death the other day, I was forced to hook up my PS2 and I happened to find a copy of FRWL that I had never played and forgot I had. (it was hiding with my music cds in my car) Anyways, I got to playing it and its not half bad so far. I understand they had to inport more modern day action to it to make it appealing to younger gamers. But I'll have to finish playing before I make a final decision.

#56 Inspector Mathis

Inspector Mathis

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:05 AM

I'm rating this one a 5.

It controlled well, it looked well, it played well and I loved the mission design.

The only two complaints I have is that it didn't have a more retro soundtrack (Barry's score would have been great to play to, especially the "007 Takes the Lektor" piece, as a matter of fact they could have just played it during the entire game, I NEVER tire of that piece of music) and the last level was just plain silly and kind of out of place, but still it's pretty much everything I want in a James Bond game except maybe the John Barry score.

Edited by Inspector Mathis, 23 October 2010 - 04:06 AM.

#57 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:00 PM

I am rather new to the Bond video game world. I played the original Goldeneye a bit back in the day at a friend's home but never considered myself a gamer. I was recently given a used Gamecube and some games - among them...three Bond games! FRWL, Nightfire, and AUF. I have explored them all. I think FRWL is pretty darned neat. I am really enjoying it. The music is great. The car battles and q copter bit is a little much but the hand to hand and shooter elements are fun. The other two games pale in comparison in my opinion. Not having Brosnan voice those games hurts them as well. Really takes you out of the vibe. I am enjoying FRWL so much that I just might consider buying a Wii. I wish they would do another classic film adaptation. YOLT or MOONRAKER would be fun for sure.

#58 Lektor

Lektor

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

I think it's an enjoyable game. Not the best, but decent.

#59 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:53 PM

Killed a weekend a few years ago. OK. Nothing special.