Fleming in a Bond movie?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 21 September 2001 - 09:16 AM

I was just speaking to my father in Sydney by phone, and when I happen to mention aboutCBN, he responded by making a curious comment I have never heard before.
He claimed he read somewhere that Fleming actually made a cameo appearance in a Bond movie. He couldn't remember where he read it or in which Bond he was in.
Now, if this is true, and as he died in 1964, he had to have been in either of the first 3 Bonds.
The problem is, I don't remember seeing him in any of them.
Can anyone corroborate my father's comments?

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 September 2001 - 10:33 PM

blofelds_cat (21 Sep, 2001 11:25 p.m.):
Zencat, I myself recently discovered that you can only post an image to the Bond 20 forum, which is the reason why I posted the pic of Blofeld with Patrick Stewart's head there instead of elsewhere.

Ahhhhhhhh...THAT'S what's going on. I hadn't noticed that myself. Thank you, blofelds_cat.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 September 2001 - 04:18 PM

Blue Eyes (21 Sep, 2001 11:22 a.m.):
Well this is a tricky one. Most people are 100% sure it's Fleming in the film and there's a stack of proof. No doubt someone like Zencat will have a photo or two, I'll try and dig my own up from wherever they are.

Afraid I don't have anything that proves Fleming was that guy standing there in FRWL, but I have seen several photos of Fleming visiting the Orient Express set and he does appear to be dressed in the same thing that man is wearing. And in one pic he's sitting on one of those cane/fold out seats and the man in the film appears to be leaning on a cane. Don't know if I've listened to the DVD commentary at that point, but certainly John Cork must mention it. When I do, I'll report my findings.

For some reason I can't attach a pic to this post (why is it I can do this with some posts and not with others?). I'm going to email you a nice pic of Fleming on the FRWL set, Blue Eyes.

#4 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 22 September 2001 - 02:09 AM

zencat (21 Sep, 2001 05:18 p.m.):
For some reason I can't attach a pic to this post (why is it I can do this with some posts and not with others?). I'm going to email you a nice pic of Fleming on the FRWL set, Blue Eyes.

So there is still no decisive verdict? I must hear what the commentry says, unfortunately I don't own the DVD yet otherwise I'd go listen myself. But I will get there with my collection. Don't worry :)

I'll attach the pic here. I explained in another thread somewhere that only certain boards allow for attachments. Due to popular demands, this one now does allow for it as well :)

It's all rather interesting isn't it? Someone like Fleming could very well be in a Bond movie and we dont' really have a definitive answer for it! Darn shame really!

#5 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 23 September 2001 - 01:27 AM

These particular train scenes were filmed in Scotland, weren't they?
If so, then the local newspaper, or some residents may have known about it.
Surely, someone this famous couldn't be hidden from a small community, especially one besieged by a Bond film production.

#6 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 22 September 2001 - 03:59 AM

Ever since hearing about this so-called Fleming cameo appearance from my father, I've being hunting the Net in search of answers.
I found something which talks about this very subject here: http://www.marciniak...ameo/cameo.html .
In the photo on the left the gentleman's hair does not appear to look like that of The Man, but it's damn hard to tell conclusively.

#7 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 22 September 2001 - 04:00 AM

Ever since hearing about this so-called Fleming cameo appearance from my father, I've being hunting the Net in search of answers.
I found something which talks about this very subject here: http://www.marciniak...ameo/cameo.html .
In the photo on the left the gentleman's hair does not appear to look like that of The Man, but it's damn hard to tell conclusively.
Come on guys, someone must have something on this!

#8 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 23 September 2001 - 12:14 AM

Well they both appear to be wearing identical clothes. The image is too small to tell really.

I wonder if director Terence Young was ever asked about it? Sadly he passed away in 94 so it's impossible to ask him now. I wonder if anyone else would be able to give a definitive answer. Surely someones still alive who was around.

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 September 2001 - 05:15 PM

I'm sorry to report that there is only SILENCE on the DVD commentary during the "Fleming" scene.

#10 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 21 September 2001 - 10:22 AM

Well thanks for plugging the site :)

Well this is a tricky one. Most people are 100% sure it's Fleming in the film and there's a stack of proof. No doubt someone like Zencat will have a photo or two, I'll try and dig my own up from wherever they are.

It's From Russia With Love. Bond's on the Orient Express... an outside shot shows a man with a walking stick standing in the middle of nowhere not even looking at the train. He's wearing the same clothes as Fleming who did visit that set.

We can get all the info here and write this into a nice article for the main site :)

So let's discuss!

#11 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 21 September 2001 - 10:33 AM

Blue Eyes (21 Sep, 2001 11:22 a.m.):
It's From Russia With Love. Bond's on the Orient Express... an outside shot shows a man with a walking stick standing in the middle of nowhere not even looking at the train. He's wearing the same clothes as Fleming who did visit that set.

I actually know the scene you are referring to!
I always wondered who and why that person was just standing there as the train passes. I thought he was a shepherd, but couldn't see any live stock around.

#12 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 21 September 2001 - 10:25 PM

zencat (21 Sep, 2001 05:18 p.m.):

Zencat, I myself recently discovered that you can only post an image to the Bond 20 forum, which is the reason why I posted the pic of Blofeld with Patrick Stewart's head there instead of elsewhere.