7 replies to this topic

#1 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 20 September 2001 - 01:29 PM

The promotion of films really hasn't been looked at.

Out of GE, TND and TWINE, what one had the better promotion, before the release and after.

When Goldeneye came out, I was so unaware! I didn't become a true true fanatic of Bond until the upcoming weeks before TND. After that, I bought all the videos etc. Because of this, I don't really know what promotion was used etc.

I'm going to have to rely on you "oldens" :) to let me know.

Out of TND and TWINE, I prefered TND. This is for before it was released. For TWINE, I prefered afterwards, with the release of the games etc.

What do other people think? Which films of the Brosnan era had the better promotion?

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 September 2001 - 05:48 PM

Good topic, Dave. Promotion is one of my favorite aspects of the bi-tri-yearly Bond experience and I'm a bit of an "olden" so I'm happy to chime in here.

Of course, promotion varies from country to country so mine is the U.S. perspective, and even within the U.S. I'm sure it varies state to state. While all the PB movies have been well and aggressively promoted, I think the best was GOLDENEYE. The pitch was very much towards a "classy" and "classical" Bond, but with a modern edge. The poster and trailers where great (best of PB era), and there wasn't a lot of tie-in's which I prefer. Black and gold was the color of GE.

TND was AGGRESSIVE. The poster was aggressive, the trailer was aggressive, the tie-in's where massive. The primary color of TND was RED. It was a good campaign, but there was a certain dumbing down to the lowest common action fan denominator that made it less of Bond film and more of an action film w/ James Bond in it. Still, the exposure was incredible. Guess it had to be as it came out the same day as a little film called TITANIC.

Not many people know this, but the promotional campaigns for GE and TND where handled by a firm outside MGM. MGM then took over promotional duties for TWINE. Many people bash the U.S. poster for TWINE but I like it. It nicely separates the movie from GE and TND in a way th UK poster didn't. WHITE and BLUE were the colors of TWINE. Seemed the emphasis on TWINE was quality. Good actors in a good movie, which happened to be a Bond film. I noticed TWINE had much more billboard and bus adverts exposure than the other films. Again, a little too much cross-promotion for my taste (I didn't think TWINE and MTV were a match made in heaven), but it got the job done.

What will the "color" of BOND 20 be I wonder?

#3 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 20 September 2001 - 06:11 PM

Of the two PB films I saw at the cinema (TND and TWINE), I prefered TND and thought that is was promoted a lot more before it was released. I'm not sure about anywhere else, but one of the teasers had a couple of shots from the films, and then "Tomorrow Never Dies - Shooting Around The World..." or something along those lines. When I saw it, I thought, "Yes, this is it! - Bond is back forever!".

#4 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 20 September 2001 - 09:07 PM

The main thing I remember about GE is that it was BIG. Everyone was talking about it, which made me very happy. Whether this is good or bad I don't know but goldeneye to me (especially) the poster was very stereotypically bond, if you know what I mean, the 3 faces the explosion the car the plane etc etc. I liked it for that reason and I think that is what appealed to the general public, looking at the promo material they will have thought bond is back, and he hasn't changed. If EON had made the mistake of taking him in a different direction (which I'm positive they will never do) it wouldn't have worked. I can't remember too much promo material other than the poster.
At the time of GE's release I was 11 and I was so so excited as I had watched bond since I was 3 but never imagined seeing it on the big screen. I had all the vids but some were official and others were recorded off the TV. When I went to see GE one of the first trailers was advertising the new official release of all the films, I couldn't contain myself.

By the time TND came around I was more excited than ever. I was on the net all day at school checking all the sites for info, and promotional gear, screensavers etc. When it was released I went to the preview there were 100's of postcards and posters all for free, I literally took every one, my pockets were bulging, I made my dad put posters inside his jacket, and my grandad, It was great. In my opinion it was most definately the most promoted. In fact I remeber it being criticised for overuse of product placement i.e. the ericsson. And correct me If I'm wrong but I'm positive TND won an award for best promotion (and apparently the unheard of sum of

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 September 2001 - 09:13 PM

mrmoon (20 Sep, 2001 10:07 p.m.):
And correct me If I'm wrong but I'm positive TND won an award for best promotion

Yes, both GE and TND won some sort of "best movie promotion of the year" award.

#6 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 20 September 2001 - 09:57 PM

Did you say

#7 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 20 September 2001 - 11:03 PM

I'd have to say that GE had the best promotion going in Australia. It was huge! Every show mentioned Bond, posters were everywhere. But you know what? I still couldn't get my hands on anything.

I'm so jealous of all you guys who can pick up promo material and stuff. We get sweet f.a. in Australia :'( I'm going to have to buy stuff for Bond 20 of a lot of you :)

#8 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 21 September 2001 - 11:12 AM

Goldeneye. I remember everyone talking about it. Everywhere I went, bond, bond, bond. I wasent relly a bond fan back then, but when I saw Goldeneye (my first bond film) I went ballistic. But I was Still loyal to George Lucas.

You could'nt watch television without bond popping on every 5 minutes! And the different Traliers they have, Amazing!