Does Connery sound too old?

19 replies to this topic

#1 commanderblond

commanderblond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 07:59 PM

Having watched the trailers on the EA website, I was impressed at the detail that's gone into the character model of Connery as Bond. It looks incredibly realistic. But when it got to the bit where 007 was talking to Q, I couldn't help but notice that to my ears, Connery's voice sounded a bit thin and reedy compared to how it was in the 60's.

Don't get me wrong - it's great that you'll be able to play as Connery's 007 - look like him and sound like him - and I'm sure it won't hurt sales - but it was rather disconcerting to see a 'young' 007 who sounds a bit old and knackered.

What do others think?

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:04 PM

I think he sounds fine for it. I'm thrilled.

#3 commanderblond

commanderblond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:30 PM

I'm absolutely thrilled for it, but I still reckon he sounds a bit thin and reedy in the trailers. Compare Connery's voice in the Q Labs or Sniper trailer to how he sounded in Dr No, for example. Mind you, 40-odd years have passed since Connery first played Bond, and everyone's voice changes over the years, so if it is thinner, thats only to be expected. (Then again, it could be the tiny speakers on my old iMac :) )

The motion capture animation looks fantastic though - the hand to hand combat looks exactly like the stle they used in the 60's movies.

#4 Gri007

Gri007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:46 PM

I think he does sound a lot older. I can tell imensley that his voice and the way he says things at got worst since he was Bond in the 60's

If you listen very carefully to all of the Connery Bond films, you will find that it is 'Never Say Never Again' where her anounces his name as being 'Bond..Jameshh Bond'

Any one else agree and notice

#5 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:51 PM

Yeah, playing the demo it kinda threw me off to hear League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Connery's voice coming out of FRWL Connery's face. I'll get used to it, and besides, shouldn't we be grateful Connery actually agreed to do it?

#6 commanderblond

commanderblond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 12:42 PM

Yeah, playing the demo it kinda threw me off to hear League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Connery's voice coming out of FRWL Connery's face. I'll get used to it, and besides, shouldn't we be grateful Connery actually agreed to do it?

View Post

Absolutely. It's great that you can play as Connery and it's actually him speaking. I also like the fact that they're revisiting some of the older movies for games - something I've been waiting for since Goldeneye on the N64.

Maybe Sir Sean is branching out his career with voice over work on games based on his old movies. Coming next year... Darby O'Gill and the Little People Racing

#7 Operation Grandslam

Operation Grandslam

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 01:15 PM

the voice doesn't sound right. BUT hey, having Connery back is still something to celebrate!

#8 cvheady007

cvheady007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 02:14 PM

From your mouth to God's ears!!! :)

I think this is the most exciting facet of this game. Honestly, I look forward to the game if it is going to be in the vein of Everything or Nothing, and the fact that the greatest man to be called Bond is gracing it with its presence makes it even better. I don't care how old he sounds - it's Connery.

Edited by cvheady007, 29 October 2005 - 02:15 PM.

#9 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 02:30 PM

shouldn't we be grateful Connery actually agreed to do it?

View Post

:) :)

#10 00-FAN008

00-FAN008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1907 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 07:48 PM

Yeah, Connery sounds a bit too old... but it's Sean Connery. I'm fine with it. :)

Besides, I think his digital prescence makes up for whatever is lacking in his voice. There's more of a thrill when you're fighting like Sean Connery and moving like Sean Connery than there is when you hear Sean Connery speak.

shouldn't we be grateful Connery actually agreed to do it?

View Post

:) :)

View Post

Yeah, it's so much better to have him do the voice than it is to have an impersonater do the voice, anyway. Better use his talents while the man is still alive. :) Makes things much more exciting.

#11 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 07:51 PM

Hey, isn't Brosnan the too old guy? :)

#12 00-FAN008

00-FAN008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1907 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 07:53 PM

[quote name='killkenny kid' date='30 October 2005 - 19:51']Hey, isn't Brosnan the too old guy?

#13 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 07:54 PM

[quote name='00-FAN008' date='30 October 2005 - 14:53'][quote name='killkenny kid' date='30 October 2005 - 19:51']Hey, isn't Brosnan the too old guy?

#14 Quartermaster007

Quartermaster007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1123 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 08:19 PM

Well, Connery's voice has changed a bit over time.

But Sean Connery still sounds like Sean Connery as I see it.

#15 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 08:34 PM

Yeah, it's so much better to have him do the voice than it is to have an impersonater do the voice, anyway.

View Post

Quite.

#16 British Chap

British Chap

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 10:50 PM

Its Sean Connery, Returning as James Bond, and you get to play as him, and its actually HIM!

What else could you need??

#17 commanderblond

commanderblond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 01:31 AM

[/quote]... it's so much better to have him do the voice than it is to have an impersonater do the voice, anyway. Better use his talents while the man is still alive. :) Makes things much more exciting.

View Post

[/quote]

You're not suggesting that the Brosnan soundalikes they used in TWINE and Nightfire weren't that good are you? :)

Overall, I do like the fact that Connery is returning to the world of 007. I mean, it's not as if he needs the work. Nor did EA have to employ his services. They could have just done the a game with a generic Bond, like that awful menswear catalogue regect in Agent Under Fire. I'll be happily shelling out for FRWL when its released- even if the central character sounds like he might have a Q-Branch issue zimmer frame in the boot of the DB5 :)

#18 00-FAN008

00-FAN008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1907 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 04:53 AM

... it's so much better to have him do the voice than it is to have an impersonater do the voice, anyway. Better use his talents while the man is still alive. :) Makes things much more exciting.

View Post

You're not suggesting that the Brosnan soundalikes they used in TWINE and Nightfire weren't that good are you? :)

View Post

Not at all. The impersonators did a good job, but it's just a whole lot better when they have the real stuff. :)

#19 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 04:39 AM

Sean Connery doesn't sound like he did in '63 but it's still a fantastic game!

#20 rogermoore007

rogermoore007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 01:01 PM

Yeah, it's so much better to have him do the voice than it is to have an impersonater do the voice, anyway.

View Post

Quite.

View Post

Exactly. It's a privilege to have Connery do the voice (especially for those who weren't around to see his Bonds in the theater). It's an experience unrivaled in Bond gaming and in gaming in general to play as a character with his original voice with a plot from 40 years ago that still rocks today. Of course Sir Sean sounds older, it's been 40+ years since FRWL, but it doesn't bother me one bit.