6 replies to this topic

#1 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 09:40 PM

This is'nt an anti-Bond post or anything, i was just wondering how long James Bond will last. It has been going for 40 years now, five actors have portrayed the man and the fifth one will be retiring soon. I'm guessing that Clive Owen will be after Pierce Brosnan and then there will be abother long gap. I'm not trying to scare you guys or anything, but it will be tough trying to find a new Bond. They must have had this problem after Connery quit, but there were loads of British actors back then and now we will have trouble trying to find a British actor let alone trying to convince him to play Bond. I just hope the Bond franchise will keep going for another 20 years, then they can have me to play Bond! :)

#2 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 02:11 PM

I want Bond to go out on a high note, before things get bad and then I still want the last words to be James Bond Will Return even though we would all know it's the last one....

#3 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 02:48 AM

As long as their are assine intelligence agencies out there that don't get the job done, movie goers will need the escapism of an Agent and his "firm" that does get it right and does get the job done.

So let's count on Bond being here for a long time to come.

-- Xenobia

#4 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 12:50 AM

I just saw a segment on the Fox News Channel about Pierce Brosnan in Cannes, and he said that he will definitely play Bond in a fifth film and that right now he has no plans to leave the role. . .so I don't think we need to worry about his leaving any time soon. At any rate, I think that the Bond films will last as long as audiences want to see them. They're still profitable for MGM and EON and they still generate media and fan interest (this site pretty well attests to that), so I don't see any end to the Bond films in the immediate future. I'm happy.

#5 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 02:40 AM

Cubby Broccoli used to get this question a lot when he was still alive. His answer summed it up best, saying he would make one a year (his words, not mine) as long as people wanted to see them.

They may have their up and down periods, but the series should go on for a while or as long as it makes money. With the many younger people on this forum, it sounds like it's on pretty sound ground as far as the next generation goes.

#6 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 09:26 AM

As they say - good things must come to an end - I fear Bond will be the same. But only when I die, evenm then, in the real world it will live on. After all, why do you think they put the words "James Bond Will Return" at the end of each and every film?

#7 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 09:50 PM

If the James Bond series ends: the Commonwealth and all Western civilisation will cease to exist. :)

The horror! The humanity!

But seriously: rather Bond ends than becomes a repeditive boring insult to everything it stood for when Fleming invented 'it'. Even some episodes of The Simpsons are quite annoying, so with that in mind, almost anything can lose it's charm. :)