5 replies to this topic

#1 Adam

Adam

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 335 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 07:33 PM

OK this is just for fun, no one get heated, but are there any sets you find extremely fake or obvious or just plain ugly? I'm really into art/set decoration so fill me in on what you all think...

If I had to chose, I'd say
Fakeness:
--Goldeneye--plane crash site/Xenia's death--so obviously a set
--You Only Live Twice--all volcano scenes, whether interior or exterior---I know it's Ken Adam, but it's still fake as hell

Ugliness--
--License to Kill--drug/gas laboratory

I would've made a beautiful/good set decoration post, but there's obviously way too many to mention

#2 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 02:55 AM

I never really thought of this one until somebody brought it up in a Bond book. Check out Bond's apartment's kitchen wallpaper when he makes coffee for M in Live and Let Die.

And you thought the fashions and soundtrack screamed 1970s. Have a nice day, James.

#3 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 03:34 AM

Turn (05 May, 2002 03:55 a.m.):
I never really thought of this one until somebody brought it up in a Bond book. Check out Bond's apartment's kitchen wallpaper when he makes coffee for M in Live and Let Die.

And you thought the fashions and soundtrack screamed 1970s. Have a nice day, James.

Yes. So contrasting to the 'old' look of the lounge and bedroom. I once modeled a The Sims house as Bond's flat--I watched the entire scene in slow-motion! :)

#4 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 03:36 AM

For fakeness, the jungle scene with Rosie and Bond in Live and Let Die. The plants looked very silky! Ironically, the cover plants for the heroin were quite realistic.

#5 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 04 May 2002 - 03:37 AM

Adam (03 May, 2002 08:33 p.m.):
Ugliness--
--License to Kill--drug/gas laboratory

Actually 'ugliness' was extensively used in Fleming's books. I can't seem to recall the particulars of the coke-lab, but if you cannot recall, here are some Fleming 'ugly-moments':

1. Le Chiffre's villa: Peeling whitewash. Minimus furnishings which include an orange sofa, a washstand, and a 'throne' of some sort for Le Chiffre. Not to mention the torture chair with no seat...

2. Goldfinger's New York 'warehouse': Compared to AuricStud, it's a corrugated-metal piece of #@$%! Plain interiors, apparently at the water-level of the docks serving as some sort of a trucking cache.

3. Scaramanga's Thunderbird Hotel: Unfinished. Large construction equipment scattered around. Negril point and Sav La Mar seem to be very much shanty-towns with beautiful scenery, but rather bad construction. (Relics of a colonial era?)

4. The motel in The Spy Who Loved Me. Not ugly, but it seemed to be the standard North American motel with the minimum refinements. Also by the end it was burnt to the ground!

I can't think of any more at the moment, but I was just making a point of how Fleming only glamourised to a point, whereas Ken Adam et al have gone and glamourised everything.

#6 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 04 May 2002 - 03:40 AM

I agree 100% with the volcano. Peter Hunt (who had some role in inventing the volcano as a hideout) said that Piz Gloria was, '...much better than a blooming volcano!'. This comment is in an interview at: http://www.secretint...ures/hunt1.html

This is one hell of an interview! :)