This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

'On Her Majesty's Secret Service': Movie vs. Novel

7 replies to this topic

Poll: 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service': Movie vs. Novel

'On Her Majesty's Secret Service': Movie vs. Novel

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 10:07 PM

I imagine some interesting answers this time since these two are fairly close to eachother in terms of actual content. Which do you prefer: the film or the novel, and why?

I'll be adding in my own reply soon.

#2 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 10:10 PM

SPOILERS!!! I HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK YET!!! STILL WORKING ON DR. NO!!!

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 10:11 PM

:) Ehm...then it might not be a good idea for you to go into this thread, Judo Chop.

#4 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 10:18 PM

This is really tight. I think I have to go with the book...it's more concise than the movie...plus the watch as knuckle dusters, possibly the coolest use of a Bond watch ever.

The movie has some really high points. The scene after the ski chase where Tracy skates up to Bond. The battle at the end, which you don't see any of in the book. And who could forget the score...

I think I still have to go with the book though.

#5 trumanlodge89

trumanlodge89

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 10:46 PM

i love the movie. i believe george lazenby is really close to perfect as bond in this one. not the doomsday machine like connery or the womanizer like moore. diana rigg is perfect as well.

i love the book as well... since they are so similar its hard to decide. i like the way it "unfolds" in the novel, as opposed to bond stumbling upon this girl in the movie.

but mainly becuase on the music im going with the movie.

#6 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 05:03 AM

I really like both, but if I have to choose, I'll take the movie.

I saw the movie for the first time when I was just 7 and the ending shook me so much I looked at my uncle's novel the next day to see if that's what happened in the book, which was probably the first time I ever read any Fleming. Of course, my reading was mostly limited to comic books at that age, so I only read a very little of that ending.

The one part of the novel I'd have liked to have seen make it to film was the scene of the SPECTRE operative being killed on the bobsled run for doing something to annoy Blofeld. I think that would have been a great scene to have when Sir Hillary/Bond arrives at Piz Gloria.

Strangely, OHMSS stopped the trend of SPECTRE killing off its operatives that occurred in FRWL, TB and YOLT.

#7 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 05:11 AM

This is incredibly hard since both are really good and both are very similar. I'm honestly not sure. At first I was going to say the novel then blame the lack of continuity with the other films (e.g. Meeting between Blofeld and Bond - YOLT) as a minor fault, but as far as James Bond films go, OHMSS is one of the best. Rigg plays one of the best Bond girls, Lazenby nails the role, the editing and the pace of the film are just superb.

It's really a toss up.

#8 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 09:42 PM

Added in a small poll.