14 replies to this topic

#1 DJ

DJ

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 25 April 2002 - 10:46 PM

I have noticed that in the movies there a lot of henchman who only have one name. Some of these may be wrong, as I am thinking off the top of my head, while there may be more than I have said. Some may include Tee Hee, but I have not usw. I have not included titles such as Professor as a name.

Professor Dent (Dr. No)

Oddjob (Goldfinger)

Vargas (Thunderball)

Jaws (The Spy Who Loved Me; Moonraker)

Gobinda (Octopussy)

Mischka & Grishka (Octopussy)

Necros (The Living Daylights)

Dario (Can't Remember...)

Stamper (Tomorrow Never Dies)

Renard (The World is Not Enough)

Jinx??? (Die Another Day)

If anyone disagrees and can point out where I am wrong or believes these people to be Villains, not Henchmen, let the arguing commence now.

DJ

PS Can anyone tell me what movie Dario was in because I am going to bed now and don't have time to check.

#2 DJ

DJ

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 April 2002 - 04:24 PM

General Koskov (26 Apr, 2002 05:32 a.m.):
But why is this thread titled 'Curse of the One-name Henchmen'? What curse is there?

Out of the 19 Bond movies already releasesd, it seems that 13 of them include one-name Henchmen, so far. BTW, I put the question marks next to Jinx because I wasn't sure if she would be a henchman/woman.

#3 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 26 April 2002 - 04:32 AM

Dario is Sanchez' henchman from Licence to Kill. But why is this thread titled 'Curse of the One-name Henchmen'? What curse is there?

#4 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 26 April 2002 - 07:58 PM

What about footballers? Commentators usually go by theoir last name? Is that a curse? e.g. "BECKHAM" So what if he is injured, everyone gets an injury of some sort in their life and you know it DJ! You have seen my pains, you look at one in the mirror each day!
Besides, there is nearly always a one-named henchman in each Bond film, it is part of Bond, having a person with one name, after all, who would have a henchman called 'Colin Smith'? It would be better calling him something else.
Dr No - Dent
FRWL - Kronsteen, Krilencu, Morzeny
GF - Oddjob, Kisch, Capungo, Bonita
TB - Vargas, Quist
YOLT - Blofeld? Osato
OHMSS - Grunther
DAF - Kidd, Wint, Bambi, Thumper
LALD - Mr Big, Tee Hee, Whisper
TMWTGG - Nick Nack, Hai Fat, Chula
TSWLM - Jaws, Sandor, Naomi, Fekkesh
MR - Jaws, Chang
FYEO - Kriegler
OP - Gobinda, Mischka, Grischka
AVTAK - May Day, Scarpine
TLD - Necros
LTK - Killifer, Dario, Heller, Truman-Lodge
GE - Xenia, Boris
TND - Stamper, Me
TWINE - Renard, Bullion, Gabor, Davidov

#5 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 26 April 2002 - 04:29 AM

Technically, Jinx isnt a henchman. Theres also (From LALD) Whisper and Adam.

#6 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 25 April 2002 - 11:01 PM

Scarpine A View to a Kill

Heller Licence to Kill

Morezeny From Russia With Love

Wint & Kidd Diamonds Are Forever

#7 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 27 April 2002 - 03:56 PM

Dr Kaufmann (27 Apr, 2002 04:48 p.m.):
I know, sorry Tanger, only I was and still am in a slightly over zealous mode.  I usually mock people "just for jolly".  I'm pretty sure this will be the only time.  PLEASE FORGIVE ME!

Don't worry about it. I forgive you.
I'm sure tha 99% of the world are guilty of it and I know I can frequently be over zealoused. It can be a terrible thing my friend and it could lead to man destroying itself. May God have mercy on us all....

Sorry about that, drifted off into a 'what if' mode. :)

#8 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 27 April 2002 - 03:48 PM

I know, sorry Tanger, only I was and still am in a slightly over zealous mode. I usually mock people "just for jolly". I'm pretty sure this will be the only time. PLEASE FORGIVE ME!

#9 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 27 April 2002 - 03:42 PM

Dr Kaufmann (27 Apr, 2002 04:18 p.m.):

Tanger (27 Apr, 2002 03:20 p.m.):
I feel I should point out that 'Truman-Lodge' is actually 'Truman Lodge'. 'Truman' being his first name and 'Lodge' being his surname. They are not joined by a hyphen and so he his therefore not one of the cursed. I also don't think he count as much;

Well, I'm sorry to disapoint you Tanger but, you fail. Heard of Lee Pfeiffer and Dave Worral? They have written many Bond books, including the one I have right here on my lap, "The Essesntial Bond". Turning to page 162 I see a picture of Sanchez shooting at something/one. On that page it says, and I quote...
"TRUMAN-LODGE (Anthony Starke) Truman-Lodge is a yuppie financial wizard who oversees Sanchez's investments with microscopic precision..."
I rest my case, unless of course you are calling these two liers, after all they did get help from people associated with the Bond franchise!

I'm a Bond fan, how could I not have heard of them?! I also have that book although it is packed away somwhere as I had to clear out some stuff from my room. You are quite right though, it's also listed as 'Truman-Lodge' in th DVD booklet, but I'm led to believe, not on some prints of the film (?). Anyway, it was in my mind from a reference book I skimmed through during the week, they had it as 'Truman Lodge' and it made sense to me that it was his whole name. Which leads to: what is 'Truman-Lodge' his surname? A mother surnamed Truman and a Father surnamed Lodge? Anyway, the name doesn't make any obvious sense just on its own. I also don't take hyphenated names as a whole. So I still don't think it counts, not like Jaws or Sandor for instance.

One last thing, there is a way to politely correct somebody. I suggest you do this next time otherwise you're going to end up with a few enemies on this site.

#10 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 27 April 2002 - 03:39 PM

I know many of them had two names, but Truman-Lodge is one, with a hyphen, I was only pointing out some of those, who might not be henchmeen, but also some of those who are not the first villians people will point out if someone told them a certain film, after all, if I said to someone FYEO, who would you think of straight away who is a villian? The main one, Kristatos (sp?) Aris being his first name, or something along those lines.

#11 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 27 April 2002 - 03:23 PM

Dr Kaufmann (26 Apr, 2002 08:58 p.m.):(edited)
...YOLT - Blofeld?...
...LALD - Mr Big...

Blofeld a hench? Mr. Big a hench? I don't think so.

In fact, I don't consider the likes of Prof. Dent and Scarpine henchs either. I would chaulk them down as lackies.

Dr Kaufmann (26 Apr, 2002 08:58 p.m.):(edited)
...TMWTGG - ...Hai Fat...

And how would Hai Fat be a hench, Scaramanga worked for him?

Plus Hai Fat is two names. As is Xenia Onnatop, Boris Grishenko (lacky), Sasha Davidov, Erik Kriegler, etc.

#12 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 27 April 2002 - 03:18 PM

Tanger (27 Apr, 2002 03:20 p.m.):
I feel I should point out that 'Truman-Lodge' is actually 'Truman Lodge'. 'Truman' being his first name and 'Lodge' being his surname. They are not joined by a hyphen and so he his therefore not one of the cursed. I also don't think he count as much;

Well, I'm sorry to disapoint you Tanger but, you fail. Heard of Lee Pfeiffer and Dave Worral? They have written many Bond books, including the one I have right here on my lap, "The Essesntial Bond". Turning to page 162 I see a picture of Sanchez shooting at something/one. On that page it says, and I quote...
"TRUMAN-LODGE (Anthony Starke) Truman-Lodge is a yuppie financial wizard who oversees Sanchez's investments with microscopic precision..."
I rest my case, unless of course you are calling these two liers, after all they did get help from people associated with the Bond franchise!

#13 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 27 April 2002 - 02:19 PM

I feel I should point out that 'Truman-Lodge' is actually 'Truman Lodge'. 'Truman' being his first name and 'Lodge' being his surname. They are not joined by a hyphen and so he his therefore not one of the cursed. I also don't think he count as much; Dario was much more of a henchman.

#14 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 27 April 2002 - 02:04 PM

I suppose I only added Truman-Lodge because they name had a '-' there, although you caould disregard him from this as all he does is help Sanchez with the trading, financially, of his drugs. He then gets shot as you may know by Sanchez's Uzi, nice.

#15 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 27 April 2002 - 06:13 AM

Is Truman-Lodge one name? ???

By the way, did everyone know that Draco's henchman, Che Che, was the one Bond fought in Tracy's room (or was it Bond's own room?) and who Bond called: 'Gate crasher'

I totally forgot the names of Draco's henchmen, but when I read Never Dream of Dying Benson describes Che Che as having pockmarked cheeks. So I associated (without having read or watched On Her Majesty’s Secret Service since!) Che Che with Geoffrey Cheshire, who plays Toussaint.

I know no one cares, but I hope that helps others who are confused. I didn't even know Virginia North's character (Olympe) until my fourth or fifth viewing or On Her Majesty’s Secret Service!