9 replies to this topic

#1 Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 409 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 06:53 AM

Look. Seriously, for one minute put the joy joy feelings for Daniel Craig away for a moment and think this out CLEARLY.

Why do you all feel the need to compare Daniel Craig to Timothy Dalton? Not to mention Ian Fleming's Bond? Seriously you're all grasping at straws by making such outrageous claims as He'll be just as good as Connery and that Daniel is Fleming's Bond? Honestly, to compare Daniel Craig (Who truly ISN'T James Bond no matter how many times you squint your eyes) to Fleming's character is really sacreligious.

Stop it. Right this minute. I'm all for the chisled Bond look but to me, Craig doesn't deliver. Honestly he looks like some guy who could get mugged and shot on the corner of 4th and Pike, and yet he's the best Bond since Connery?

Sheesh.

#2 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 07:07 AM

There are several reasons that the comparison between Dalton and Craig is being made. First of all, both are truly gifted actors who are of the highest caliber. Of the previous five Bonds, one could easily make the argument that Dalton was the best ACTOR to take on the role. Now that Craig has stepped into the role with several critically acclaimed roles under his belt, I think that he could challenge Dalton as far as being the best ACTOR cast in the role of James Bond. Second of all, most fans agree that Craig's performance will probably be a very dark and realistic portrayal of James Bond, which would make it very similar to the Bond that Dalton portrayed in his two films.

As far as the comparison between Craig and Fleming's Bond, the fact that Craig very closely resembles Fleming's description (as told through Vesper Lynd). Granted, Craig does have blonde hair, but from looking at the promotional picture put out by EON and Columbia Pictures, it isn't that big of a deal. Also, Daniel Craig looks as though he could easily pass for a paid government agent or assassin, which is what Fleming's James Bond was. Fleming's Bond was not a male model in a tuxedo, but a government paid assassin and secret agent.

#3 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 07:21 AM

Do you people feel compelled to make a new thread about how much you don't like Craig every moment you think of it? I thought we established the Anti-Craig Brigade thread for just this reason. We even have a thread that discusses Craig and Dalton. I believe the title is Craig vs Dalton. I guess it wouldn't be that big of deal, but everyday.. it's same people over and over.

It's getting really tiring. To quote a piece of fanart by Gobi-1:

Daniel Craig IS Bond. Deal with it.

http://img215.images...hitfinal4qr.jpg

#4 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 07:30 AM

I can understand that comparsion between Craig and Dalton, but I actually think Craig's Bond is going to be a little more well rounded than Daltons. He'll have the darker, more hard-edged element (dare I say "gritty") down, he, as tdalton (nice sig by the way) said, can pass for a deadly assassin. But I also think he'll have that naturally "cool" element not seen since Connery.

#5 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 08:21 AM

It's mainly to do with the intensity they both bring to their roles. I actually think there's a small physical resemblance between them - or there can be. Clearly, Craig is nowhere near as good-looking as Dalton, so no need to slam me with a Putin-down - we've heard those comments already. But if you for one moment put the hate hate feelings away, perhaps you'll see what I mean. :) Sure, Craig has a pug nose and a craggy face and the rest of it. But check out the look and attitude of these two men. I think it's pretty similar. Look at their eyes.

Posted Image Posted Image

#6 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 08:28 AM

They are the only two Bond actors who can actually act. Lazenby, I think we can all agree, was no actor. Connery, Moore and Brosnan, while competent at reading their lines and looking cool and suave on screen, basically played themselves. I don't think anyone can slag Dalton's acting credentials - and by the looks of things DC is a pretty well respected actor. Other than that, I don't really go out of my way to compare Craig and Dalton - but if I had to pair Craig up with another Bond actor, it would be Dalton.

#7 Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 09:05 AM

Do you people feel compelled to make a new thread about how much you don't like Craig every moment you think of it? I thought we established the Anti-Craig Brigade thread for just this reason. We even have a thread that discusses Craig and Dalton. I believe the title is Craig vs Dalton.
http://img215.images...hitfinal4qr.jpg

View Post

That's right, I started the thread exactly because Dalton and Craig are now compared so often, as if they were basically the same type of actor, and I wanted to show how different they really are.

#8 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 09:56 AM

Look. Seriously, for one minute put the joy joy feelings for Daniel Craig away for a moment and think this out CLEARLY.

Why do you all feel the need to compare Daniel Craig to Timothy Dalton? Not to mention Ian Fleming's Bond? Seriously you're all grasping at straws by making such outrageous claims as He'll be just as good as Connery and that Daniel is Fleming's Bond? Honestly, to compare Daniel Craig (Who truly ISN'T James Bond no matter how many times you squint your eyes) to Fleming's character is really sacreligious.

Stop it. Right this minute. I'm all for the chisled Bond look but to me, Craig doesn't deliver. Honestly he looks like some guy who could get mugged and shot on the corner of 4th and Pike, and yet he's the best Bond since Connery?

Sheesh.

View Post

Isn

#9 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 03:39 AM

Also, Daniel Craig looks as though he could easily pass for a paid government agent or assassin,"

Agreed, Ya know when you see an actor play a real life person and then you see the real person the actor plays in a documentary the actor is always much better looking and charismatic? I see Craig being like the real James Bond and Brosnan/any other 007 being Hollywood's Bond.I'm going to take that attitude that Craig is a real world 007 and that's cool.Now, If he does some silly stuff than I'll be really dissapointed they didn't hire a prototypical movie star like Jackmam...To answer the thread topic: He has very little resemblence to Dalton except the expectation of being truer to Fleming's Bond.

#10 00-FAN008

00-FAN008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1907 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 03:54 AM

I can understand why people compare Daniel Craig to Timothy Dalton: because everyone compares every Bond candidate to Timothy Dalton. Look at Clive Owen. :)