This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Will we ever have a Lazenby situation again?

8 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 10:45 PM

What I mean, is say Hugh Jackman makes a Bond film. He has second thoughts, so he decides he doesnt want to continue, and he steps down.

Not that I want that to happen, I want Jackman to do a lot, but my point is, could we get another actor who only does one film and quit? Or has Eon learned their lesson with George?

#2 Dmitri Mishkin

Dmitri Mishkin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 25 April 2002 - 05:46 AM

I am a little more optimistic. I do not think we'll see a one-movie actor again. Several reasons underly this optimism:

No 'Legacy' Obstacle: Sean Connery began the series. He was the one who first embodied "James Bond" on the big screen. He was the archetype. When Lazenby came to town, he had to deal with Connery's "legacy" as the one, and only, James Bond, and the public's reluctance to accept a new image of the hero. Today, four Bond actors later, it won't be as difficult for the viewing public to accept a new actor in the role because they've seen it before.

Current Trends: Evidence of today's films points to a greater public willingness to support new actors in accepted roles. Charlie Sheen over Michael J. Fox in Spincity. Val Kilmer was accepted as the new Batman in the hugely successful Batman Forever. To a lesser extent, George Clooney.

Benefit of Hindsight: With the enormous success of Pierce Brosnan's introduction into the role in GoldenEye, Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli now know how to market a new Bond in such a way that appeals to the younger demographic, how to make Bond "cool" and which buttons to push.

And finally, just plain confidence in Michael and Barbara to choose a highly-capable and competent new actor. 'Nough said.

#3 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 03:45 PM

I don't think it will happen again, although there still is that slight chance that it might. I, however, believe that it won't happen, well, not in my lifetime and I'm only 16 1/2.

#4 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 22 April 2002 - 08:43 PM

1. We dont know If Hugh will be Bond
2. Why do people think just cause Lazenby screwed up another Aussie will too?
3. Im not blowing anyone up, it just seems like a common thing among British and American chaps.

#5 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 22 April 2002 - 09:22 PM

It's called a 'three picture deal'. And Eon would never sign a Bond actor without one again. The only way I see having another Lazenby situation again is if a Bond actor get's fired.

#6 Three Blind Mice

Three Blind Mice

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 April 2002 - 09:01 PM

I sure as hell hope not!

you need an actor to do more than one film so the audience can get a feel for him.

But i guess only time will tell.

#7 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 02:30 AM

Will we ever have a Lazenby situation again?

You mean the situation where an unknown actor gets the part and does a fantastic job, but some viewers can't take a little drama so they blame it all on 'the new guy' and then his one-shot film is ruined until we all realise it's the best ever?

No I hope not.

#8 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 12:17 PM

While the above certainly encapsulates the majority of my thinking, there has been so much learnt since the 60s in looking for the Bond actor that I doubt it will happen again.

The actor will have to be tested for so many variable factors that it will be totally nailed before they commence.

Certainly for Lazenby and Dalton, public mood swayed decisions. Maybe that one will forever remain an unknown.

Lazenby and Dalton weren't totally towing the marketing line with their associations with the press - Lazenby obviously to a greater extent. But since then the world has become a far more accountable arena with far more market testing going on than before.

All of which will now be considered for the next guy. And the only people that can break the 3 film contract, will be the producers.

#9 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 03:34 PM

Trevelyan (22 Apr, 2002 09:43 p.m.):
1. We dont know If Hugh will be Bond
2. Why do people think just cause Lazenby screwed up another Aussie will too?
3. Im not blowing anyone up, it just seems like a common thing among British and American chaps.

I was in no way raggin on Jackman, or Aussies for that matter. I was merely using him as an example. And as you guys pointed out, Eon would be dumb not to sign each actor with a 3 picture deal.

I want everyone to know, I am a proud supporter for Hugh Jackman as Bond #6