Experiments leave scientists shaken not stirred

6 replies to this topic

#1 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 17 April 2002 - 09:13 AM

This from Ananova:

Scientists are trying to find out how to make the perfect martini as enjoyed by James Bond.

They are researching why martinis which are shaken not stirred are colder and have a different taste.

The Royal Society of Chemistry decided to investigate after a member of the public asked for an explanation of the science behind the Bond cocktail.

Scientists have scoured the books of Bond creator Ian Fleming for tips on how 007 liked his dry martini - shaken, not stirred, served ice cold in a deep champagne goblet with a large thin slice of lemon peel.

The Royal Society commissioned Quest International, a fragrance and flavour company with expertise in the chemical and physical make up of drinks, to research the Bond martini.

Dr Francis Scanlan, from Quest, told the Daily Mail: "We are drinking lots of martinis for sensory evaluation in our beverage laboratory and it is clear from our experiments that the way the drink is prepared is very important.

"The version that Mr Bond particularly appreciates is where the ice is shaken in the mixer, then poured. Our experiments show that it is colder. The surface area of the ice in contact with the alcohol is much greater.

"Chemically it is the same drink as one that has been stirred. But it gives an entirely different sensation in the mouth."

Brian Emsley of the Royal Society of Chemistry, based in Piccadilly, London, said: "Our headquarters are at the heart of James Bond territory - we are opposite Ian Fleming's old clubs Boodle's and White's - so it seemed particularly appropriate."

They believe they've come up with the definitive 007 martini. It consists of three measures of Gordon's Gin, one measure of vodka and half a measure of Lillet, a French aperitif originally known as Kina Lillet dating back to 1887.

Ah, the scientists of today. First, a serious study of paint suffocation a-la Goldfinger, now a study of Bond's favourite tipple. :)

#2 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 11 May 2002 - 07:38 PM

Blofeld's Cat (18 Apr, 2002 02:53 a.m.):
I'm actually a non-drinker, but I would have thought that shaking instead of stirring would blend and melt the ice quicker, thus diluting the martini.

Ya, this is what the president of the US on The West Wing says (why do I watch a show on foreign politics ??? ) and it serves as a funny joke for the first ten times...then it gets to be annoying to probably even a non-Bond fan. I suppose it would water the vodka down, but then doesn't every drink that includes non-alcoholic liquids? If Bond wants to have an undiluted drink, he'd take straight vodka. When I'm old enough, I shall be doing many an experiment on this subject. :)

#3 Arrant

Arrant

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 266 posts

Posted 18 April 2002 - 01:22 AM

Sorry to be a bore, but

#4 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 18 April 2002 - 01:53 AM

I'm actually a non-drinker, but I would have thought that shaking instead of stirring would blend and melt the ice quicker, thus diluting the martini.

Maybe Bond can enjoy his drink and still keep his wits about him.

#5 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 08:39 PM

I believe shaking the martini prevents the vermouth from being bruised, or so I have heard. I also think shaking it allows the vermouth and vodka to mix better.

However, I think the bottom line as to why Maritinis taste better shaken not stirred is a little studied phenomenon in Science:

The Power of Suggestion.

James Bond is cool ----> What he drinks is cool ----> Whatever he drinks will taste good = You will be cool if you do what he does
----->The Vodka Martini tastes better shaken not stirred.

So submitted to this great scientific gathering by Dr. Xenobia St. James on the 17th of April 2002.

#6 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 05:53 PM

American scientist have performed similar experiments into why beer taste better after a quarter is bounced off of a table into the beer. Or was that just a frat party? ;D

#7 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 08:01 PM

I think those scientists just wanted an excuse to drink all those martinis. Who pays them to do that? So we've got people figuring out a cure for cancer, Alzheimers, and then these guys are trying to find out what's in a character's drink. Unbelievable. :)