#1 Friedrich Baxter

Friedrich Baxter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 14 April 2002 - 11:41 PM

Here's my top 5 for the best hotel room:

1) The hotel room in Octopussy: It was truly amazing and with that typical Indian atmosphere it's my nr. 1 favourite. Does the 'Shrivnivas' hotel really excist?
2) Thunderball; I would like to be there in the summer. All those wooden panels give the room a very tropical atmosphere. And........it was large.
3) The Spy Who Loved Me; And was one of the most simple hotel rooms with all that white and beige in it. It was very relaxing to look at.
4) The Man With The Golden Gun; Well, I really liked this one. That blue suited the room very nice. There were also some nice Asian drawings on the wall.
5) Moonraker; A bit the same atmosphere as in TSWLM. It's more some sort of bungalow with that large windows. But I liked the grey blocks.
-

#2 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 14 April 2002 - 11:57 PM

Jeez I can't believe you listed MR and not TND!!

Although I'm not a fan of hatcher in TND (it wasn't all her fault, most of her dialog was left on the cuttng room floor when they were squeezing it into the 2 hour slot), Brosnan plays the scene very well (considering Fierstein's script).

Brosnan commented that "God that scene needed a cigarette, but you can't, for the kids" (etc), and it would have *made* that scene Bond. But it's pretty good all the same.

When I saw the premier for TND, nearly all the blokes in the audience whooped when he drops Paris' skirt to reveal her suspenders. Tsk tsk :-P

#3 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 16 April 2002 - 12:18 AM

The hotels in the novels--aside from the Kristal Palas in From Russia With Love--always seem so nice. The Thunderbirl hotel takes the cake though, as it is the residence of Scaramanga.

In the films however, hotels are merely a backdrop for perhaps sex or Bond fitting ties while Leiter explains the destructive path of James Bond in America!

Of course Thunderball ranks highest in hotel scenes, very good. The '60s were a golden era for Bond staying in hotels! ;D

#4 Friedrich Baxter

Friedrich Baxter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 15 April 2002 - 02:17 PM

You are so right. I forgot the suite in the White House. What about the residence of 007 in the castle of Chantilly in AVTAK?

#5 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 18 April 2002 - 07:19 PM

I always chuckle at the thought of Bond in the presidential suite in Rio Moonraker.
"If I get lost, I'll hail a cab." :)

#6 Friedrich Baxter

Friedrich Baxter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 15 April 2002 - 12:06 AM

I ONLY was talking about the looks of the hotel room. The job were Peter Lamont and Ken Adam are involved in. So, I'm NOT talking about the whole scen with all the acting skills, just the hotel room.......!

#7 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 15 April 2002 - 02:20 AM

You guys haven't mentioned the best hotel room by far, the bridal suite of the Whyte House. What better spot to form a more perfect union?

It has everything, an upstairs, place to catch an elevator up to the penthouse (one-way, of course) and that bed with the tropical fish. Bond luxury, courtesy of Ken Adam, at its finest here.

#8 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 15 April 2002 - 12:12 AM

Sorry.

But I'd still rank TND up there. It had luxurious space, tall antique doors, relaxed lighting, and of course was filmed at Stoke Poges golf club, infamous from it's appearence in Goldfinger.