15 replies to this topic

#1 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 02:43 AM

Let's say that James Bond was something of a movie buff. Which actor do you think Bond would like the best in terms of his acting skill: Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton or Brosnan?

And which actor would Bond like the best as a person...say as someone to have a drink with at Blades: Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, or Brosnan.

-- Xenobia

#2 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 03:10 AM

I can see Bond admiring the acting of Connery, Dalton, and Brosnan the most. I am, of course, omitting Bond films because Bond watching Bond films causes a paradox which willl eventually cause the universe to collapse on itself! ^_^

As for drinking at Blades, I see Lazenby or Moore drinking with James Bond. Don't ask why, they just strike me as people who drink a lot! ;D

#3 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 27 May 2002 - 02:06 AM

General Koskov (27 May, 2002 01:03 a.m.):
Happy 300, 000! :)

Regarding a 'real Bond' watching the films: since my previous post, I've read James Bond: The Authorised Biography of 007 by John Pearson...never before have so many, hated so much, written by so few.

El General...care to explain that? Does this mean you did not like the Authorized bio?

-- Xenobia

#4 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 13 April 2002 - 05:50 PM

After I posted that, I remembered that you don't like Dalton.

I wasn't trying to wind you up.

#5 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 09:29 PM

I like Dalton, and I'm sure that he would be Fleming's choice.

As for James Bond, he'd choose Connery. Bond was the kind who'd look in the mirror and not like what he'd see sometimes, so he'd shy away from Dalton.

#6 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 08:22 PM

MicroGlobe One (13 Apr, 2002 07:03 p.m.):
Putting all that aside, I'll just answer the question.  When I think of that character which is essentially James Bond I always find myself going back to Fleming's literary Bond.  Which actor would he prefer?  Timothy Dalton, definitely.

Exactly, I have to agree with you.

#7 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 26 May 2002 - 10:07 PM

I think that Bond would probably enjoy watching Brosnan or Dalton's films, and probably have a drink with Connery. Don't ask me why, those particular names just spring to mind. I guess it's because Brosnan and Dalton are the most true to Fleming's Bonds (sorry Carver), and Connery just seems like the type you'd want to have a drink with, then play a round of golf. Wasn't he the one who consumed the most alcohol throughout the films? This is my 300th post, BTW.

#8 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 08:35 PM

MicroGlobe One (13 Apr, 2002 07:03 p.m.) (Edited): Which actor would he prefer?  Timothy Dalton, definitely.

Glad to have another Dalton fan :)

#9 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 04:27 PM

General Koskov (13 Apr, 2002 04:10 a.m.):
I can see Bond admiring the acting of Connery, Dalton, and Brosnan the most. I am, of course, omitting Bond films because Bond watching Bond films causes a paradox which willl eventually cause the universe to collapse on itself! ^_^

It's funny you mention that General, because in the Pearson book, "The Biography of 007" Bond says he has watched the 007 movies with Connery and thinks they are ridiculous!

Of course....James Bond could watch movies made by Connery, Moore and Brosnan and say, "Gods! What a horrible spy!"

-- Xenobia

#10 MicroGlobe One

MicroGlobe One

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 06:03 PM

Here we have a question which cannot be answered for each of the actors to fill the role were able to create a unique and separate take on the character. There has not been one onscreen James Bond. Ian Fleming's literary Bond was one solid character and is quite separate and distinct from Connery's Bond, Lazenby's Bond, Moore's Bond, Dalton's Bond, and Brosnan's Bond.

If Dalton's Bond and Moore's Bond were to be in the same room I'm sure they wouldn't be able to stand one another! Therefor, how can we begin to guess which interpretation they would prefer?

Putting all that aside, I'll just answer the question. When I think of that character which is essentially James Bond I always find myself going back to Fleming's literary Bond. Which actor would he prefer? Timothy Dalton, definitely.

#11 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 26 May 2002 - 08:07 PM

RossMan (13 Apr, 2002 09:22 p.m.):

MicroGlobe One (13 Apr, 2002 07:03 p.m.):
Putting all that aside, I'll just answer the question.  When I think of that character which is essentially James Bond I always find myself going back to Fleming's literary Bond.  Which actor would he prefer?  Timothy Dalton, definitely.

Exactly, I have to agree with you.

Why does everyone love Dalton? He was NOT Bond. Sure, he might have brought out Flemings Bond, but he was too wimpish and too wierd. Anyway, before I start ranting and raving, I think that James Bond would prefer Connery and Fleming would prefer Brosnan. Fleming did'nt want Connery to play Bond as he thought he was 'too uncouth'.

#12 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 14 April 2002 - 02:37 AM

Victor Zokas (13 Apr, 2002 10:29 p.m.):
I like Dalton, and I'm sure that he would be Fleming's choice.

As for James Bond, he'd choose Connery. Bond was the kind who'd look in the mirror and not like what he'd see sometimes, so he'd shy away from Dalton.

I can't agree more. (Or should I say Moore?)

The Literary Bond is Dalton. I won't argue that. I will also agree that Bond looks in the mirror every morning and some mornings doesn't like the man looking back, so he would probably go with Connery, because I think he would find Moore to dandy-ish for his liking, and (God help me) would probably think Brosnan is a wimp!

-- Xenobia

#13 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 27 May 2002 - 12:03 AM

Happy 300, 000! :)

Regarding a 'real Bond' watching the films: since my previous post, I've read James Bond: The Authorised Biography of 007 by John Pearson...never before have so many, hated so much, written by so few.

#14 WillieGarvin

WillieGarvin

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 May 2002 - 06:08 PM

I think James Bond would like Timothy Dalton(and his movies) very much.He'd also enjoy Sean Connery's company as well and might even appreciate some of the early Connery films,especially the more realistic ones:Dr.No,From Russia With Love and Thunderball. He'd probably get along with George Lazenby,too--but he'd certainly avoid seeing OHMSS(not because it's a bad film but because it renacts the murder of his wife).Ian Fleming's James Bond is a shy man and would probably be hard pressed to spend any extended time with the more outgoing Moore and Brosnan.

However,Simon Templar would probably be more enthusiatic about talking with Roger and Pierce....

#15 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 05:45 PM

Excellent Question Xen :)

Possibly Dalton?

#16 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 26 May 2002 - 09:34 PM

Fleming doesn't say too much about movies in the Bond novels, but since Fleming put most of his ideas, opinions, and tastes into Bond, we can make some guesses. Fleming admired Alfred Hitchcock (although he complained about the use of humor in North by Northwest--God knows what he would have said about the films they made after he died!) and he thought Clouzout's The Wages of Fear was one of the best suspense films ever made. So, I think that Bond/Fleming would have prefered tense, white-knuckle action as opposed to fantastic escapism. I think Bond would have liked the first two films and the two Dalton films (and perhaps OHMSS), but he'd dismiss the rest of the series.

Oh, Carver, Fleming initially thought Sean Connery was totally wrong for the part, but once he saw Dr. No and saw Connery in action, he was so impressed that he gave the literary Bond a Scottish heritage.