27 replies to this topic

#1 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 12:48 PM

what's the best? what's the worst?..what's the lamest?
Best:
Thunderball-great art
The World is not Enough-the international version, fantastic, the best photo poster yet
The Spy Who Loved Me-very cool, it's Bond and beyond
Goldfinger-very cool as well, good composition

worst:
Licence to Kill-most of these are just bad, but one version with the two girls in smaller boxes and flames behind Bond is just lame
For Your Eyes Only-interesting idea, just very boring and the first photo only poster after so many good pieces of art

any thoughts? opinions?

#2 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 14 April 2002 - 10:45 PM

I want to kill you over both Zencat :) When are we seeing a picture of this Italian beauty? You're killing us here!

#3 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 14 April 2002 - 03:23 AM

Yes I did mean Zencat. Look at those posters! They're amazing! I want scans of them. When I come to the US Zencat I'm borrowing your scanner and doing them inch at a time believe me!

They're just so well made. I love the far left one just cause of the blue. But really, they rock compared to what we got.

#4 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 14 April 2002 - 01:56 AM

I thought this thread meant something else.

Remember no offense.

#5 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 01:36 PM

man that's a great On Her Majesty’s Secret Service poster mister asterix and thanks for posting those The World is not Enough ones zencat, they're fantastic, above I was referring the the The World is not Enough poster with the black background, not the white US one sheet or the teaser, here's what it looks like...

#6 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 08:22 PM

Hey, that TWINE poster is up in my room. I've never given any thought to which one's the best, but I suppose the GE one was pretty good. The only thing that they could have included was Alec Trevelyan in the background as he appeared in Statue Park. I also really like Moonraker, Thunderball, Goldfinger and You Only Live Twice. Many of these are at allposters.com, if anyone cares. Those concept posters are great, Zencat. I am quite fond of the orange one in the middle. Can I ask where you got them?

#7 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 30 April 2002 - 08:29 AM

zencat (13 Apr, 2002 03:35 p.m.):

Blue Eyes (13 Apr, 2002 08:37 a.m.):
That said, I am a real sucker for some of the concept The World is not Enough posters. They're great! I've only seen the ones at The Art Of James Bond and I know that someone here has some more (won't say who just in case people nag them for pictures and they don't have time), which I've seen one of, I want to see the rest of them. The concepts are great!

I wonder who that person could be, Blue Eyes? :)

They're too big to scan, but here's a pic.

The left and the right posters,i have don't see it in the Netherlands,but it's very nice.
The poster in the midle is in the Netherlands...(look the picture)

Posted Image

My 3 favorietes are:

http://jamesbondretu...twinepstr_5.jpg

The next poster i have don't see it in The Netherlands,but it's one of my favorietes.

http://jamesbondretu...twinepstr_2.jpg

http://jamesbondretu.../tmndpstr_3.jpg

#8 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 12:45 AM

Favs: A View to a Kill - Bond and Stacey on Golden Gate Bridge

The Living Daylights - This is probably nearly every Bond fans favourite. One of the best.

The World is not Enough - Reminiscent of The Living Daylights

I have the Bond poster Book. I'll look through it tomorrow and then report back here with a ranking.

#9 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 12:59 AM

I find it rather strange that no one thought of the A View to a Kill phrase: 'Has James Bond Met His Match?' for The Man with the Golden Gun, where it would have been more appropriate. I suppose May Day was James Bond's match in some things, but...

Well, I like the 'L[007]k Up! L[007]k Down! L[007]k Out!' poster for Thunderball.

On Her Majesty’s Secret Service' 'Far Up! Far Out! Far More! James Bond [007] is Back!'; and The Spy Who Loved Me's 'It's the biggest It's the Best. It's Bond. And B-E-Y-O-N-D.' are on the same string and I like them both.

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 08:34 PM

Double-Oh-Zero (17 Apr, 2002 09:22 p.m.):
Those concept posters are great, Zencat. I am quite fond of the orange one in the middle. Can I ask where you got them?

A close friend of mine runs one of the big movie memorabilia shops in Hollywood. One day he called me and said he had something to show me. Did he ever.

He had dozens of different TWINE concept posters (and this was before the TWINE poster was released so I never know how close these concepts were going to be). I picked out the best 3 and turned a fellow Bond fan onto the rest. He bought them and most appeared in the TWINE issue of "007".

#11 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 02:05 AM

I'll pick two favorites and two least favorite:
FAVORITE:
http://www.artofjame...es/dn/dnsp1.jpg
The girls are simply gorgeous and I like the unusual pose of Bond silencing the guard.

http://www.artofjame...op_thailand.jpg
They took a great piece of art and made it better with the Octopus and added scenes. Beautiful.

LEAST:
http://www.artofjame...w/avtak_us2.jpg
I know she was marketable, but why does Grace Jones feature so prominently? And why does Bond look like a hybrid of William Shatner and Patrick Macnee in a white tux?

http://www.artofjame...f/dafteaser.jpg
I can only pray that that teaser poster wasn't used for very long. It's so damn ugly.

#12 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 10:47 PM

zencat (17 Apr, 2002 09:34 p.m.):
A close friend of mine runs one of the big movie memorabilia shops in Hollywood. One day he called me and said he had something to show me. Did he ever.

And when it comes time for thet Die Another Day phone call I'm sending Zencat a cheque and he's going shopping for me ;p

#13 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 11:39 PM

Blue Eyes (17 Apr, 2002 11:47 p.m.):

zencat (17 Apr, 2002 09:34 p.m.):

And when it comes time for thet Die Another Day phone call I'm sending Zencat a cheque and he's going shopping for me ;p

No, we could have an auction and the highest bidder gets the prize, or prizes, and the money would go to CBN. How does that sound?

#14 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 18 April 2002 - 10:23 PM

Favorites:
The Man With The Golden Gun
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
The Living Daylights
A View To A Kill
The Spy Who Loved Me

#15 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 11:52 PM

I have a soft spot for the advance A style MOONRAKER (Bond alone in space), the US one-sheet for OCTOPUSSY (the actual production art for this hangs over my desk), and the advance A style AVTAK with Bond on the Effile Tower (below). I also like the advance TLD (with full Dalton face).

The worst poster, foreign and domestic, was LTK. What were they thinking?

#16 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 18 April 2002 - 11:46 PM

Mister Asterix (12 Apr, 2002 02:56 p.m.):
Best:
[unorder][#]On Her Majesty’s Secret Service Japanese poster (See attached from The Art Of James Bond) I can hear the John Berry theme just looking at this poster.[#]For Your Eyes Only US Teaser[/unorder]

That's a great OHMSS poster. I've always thought that is was a blatant attempt, in a stylised way, at trying to hide the fact that it's not Connery in this one.

#17 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 12:37 AM

Another good AVTAK one...

Posted Image

Kidding, actually, I prefer the one with Bond and Stacey on the Golden Gate bridge. :)

#18 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 07:37 AM

While I don't have an overall favourite (I must admit I've never thought about it) I will say I by far like the older hand drawn posters compared to the modern photographic ones.

That said, I am a real sucker for some of the concept The World is not Enough posters. They're great! I've only seen the ones at The Art Of James Bond and I know that someone here has some more (won't say who just in case people nag them for pictures and they don't have time), which I've seen one of, I want to see the rest of them. The concepts are great!

#19 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 11:18 AM

PaulZ108 (13 Apr, 2002 03:05 a.m.):
http://www.artofjame...f/dafteaser.jpg
I can only pray that that teaser poster wasn't used for very long.  It's so damn ugly.

I could be wrong but DAF didn't have a teaser poster. This looks more like one poster from the Marler Haley range that were specific designs for the Odeon cinema chain in the UK. This display took the form of the UK Quad, a same sized poster of two tone type quality and four DC posters. The whole ensemble was then framed in the form of the two quad posters, one on top of the the other, then the four DCs - two on either side.

These are mentioned in the Bond poster books.

#20 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 11:23 AM

Seem to have lost a post.

#21 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 01:16 PM

Favorites...

Diamonds Are Forever - Girls, diamonds, moon buggys, Bond, has everything.

Thunderball - Connery in the tux with the Jet Pack, enough said.

Octopussy - The whole six arm thing was done really well, classic.

Live and Let Die - Suits the movei well, the cards and the Voodoo style theme.

Most of the old ones are real good actually.

Least favorites...

TWINE - I don't know which one you're taking about, but most of the ones I saw were really drab and drerry.

LTK - I concur here though, not thought or effort at all went into the LTK posters.

#22 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 01:56 PM

Best:
[unorder][#]On Her Majesty’s Secret Service Japanese poster (See attached from The Art Of James Bond) I can hear the John Berry theme just looking at this poster.[#]For Your Eyes Only US Teaser[/unorder]

Worst:
[unorder][#]Licence to Kill UK[/unorder]

#23 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 02:27 PM

That can happen sometimes. :)

General Koskov wrote of how the AVTAK taglien suited TMWTGG better and it made me think of the Bond back to back with May Day poster. I think a TMWTGG poster with Bond and Scaramanga standing back to back holding up their guns ready for the duel would have been classic.

From my best list before, I forgot Moonraker, one in particular that I thought went into great detail with Bond in his spcae suit were you can see he has the tux on undernreath, in the space station and with Jaws floating behind him and Drax in the background.

#24 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 02:35 PM

Blue Eyes (13 Apr, 2002 08:37 a.m.):

I wonder who that person could be, Blue Eyes? :)

They're too big to scan, but here's a pic.

#25 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 03:47 PM

It might be worthmaking the distinction between UK and US artwork as the Thunderball UK was utterly boring (especially considering they had that perspective explosive design that Spyguise re-released) but the US artwork was great.

For me, they've all been pretty good;

The worst, Gf-UK, Th-UK, LTK-US, TND-UK
The best, FRWL-UK, OHMSS, AVTAK-US Eiffel Tower, TND-US Teaser

#26 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 03:53 PM

I don't know how many of you do, but there is a book available showing ALL (well, 99% - guess) of Bond posters. The book is quite thick and long/wide. If I remember rightly, it was about

#27 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 April 2002 - 07:06 PM

PaulZ108 (14 Apr, 2002 04:43 a.m.):
Zencat, I'm going to murder you and steal your collection.  I'm so damn jealous!  And I'm taking that italian chick too!

LOL! :)

Hey, PaulZ108, were you the guy standing outside The Gaslight the other night who said to me, "You don't know how many guys in here wanna kill you, man!" Of course, this was over my Italian friend, not my Roger Moore action figure. :)

#28 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 14 April 2002 - 03:43 AM

Zencat, I'm going to murder you and steal your collection. I'm so damn jealous! And I'm taking that italian chick too!