This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Bring Back Timothy Dalton.

11 replies to this topic

#1 Civilian_La Shef_*

Civilian_La Shef_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2001 - 09:44 AM

He is far superior to Pierce Brosnan and should never have passed up the role of Bond in 1992. Any thoughs on this don't hesitate to shoot this topic down in flames.

#2 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 18 September 2001 - 09:15 PM

Is it better though than the GoldenEye that we all know and love?

I read a first draft of TND once and it was just terrible, very un-Bond like. Thankfully the higher powers changed it considerably.

#3 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 23 September 2001 - 05:18 AM

It's a shame about the large gap isn't it? Dalton's third film (especially if it had been as good as Zencat describes France's GoldenEye) could have really been something.

Has anyone ever read the third Dalton film which has been named by fans as Property Of A Lady? It's got all sorts of elements. I just wonder about it's quality. I'd love to run an article on it sometime.

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 September 2001 - 08:04 PM

RossMan (18 Sep, 2001 10:15 p.m.):
Is it better though than the GoldenEye that we all know and love?

I LOVE GoldenEye (my fav PB film) so I can't say it's better, just different. The philosophy behind the script is totally different. It's very much a continuation of the Dalton Bond series. We have an intense, hard-edged and very serious Bond, but France gives the film scale and the highly imaginative action sequences that were missing from LTK. In my opinion, they got it just right and it would have been the best of the Dalton films by far.

The GoldenEye we know and love is very much about re-discovering the classic James Bond. It's a story which, at its core, is about James Bond finding his place in the modern world. "For England James." "No, for me." Like I said, a different philosophy.

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 September 2001 - 04:24 PM

Blue Eyes (18 Sep, 2001 10:58 a.m.):
Can you explain why Zencat? I've never had the pleasure or reading the draft or a treatment or anything so I have no idea about the scripts elements.

It's a little hard to explain, but when you read it you just picture Dalton in your head. Bond is very serious and intense... He's somewhere between TLD and LTK. Very little humor or one-liners which you don't miss. I also think Pushkin is a major character. It's a VERY good script, much different from what GoldenEye became.

#6 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 18 September 2001 - 09:58 AM

Can you explain why Zencat? I've never had the pleasure or reading the draft or a treatment or anything so I have no idea about the scripts elements.

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 September 2001 - 10:40 PM

You can tell when you read Michael France's first draft of GOLDENEYE that it was written with Timothy Dalton in mind. It would have made a heck of good Dalton Bond film.

#8 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 22 September 2001 - 11:41 PM

Just to be the odd one out, I would have to say I'm glad Dalton did'nt come back. Yes it would be quite interesting to see what angle he would put on the role, but I'm happy enough with Brosnan. After all he is called the best Bond since Connery.
But Dalton did also give a gritty realisim to OO7, which is a good change sometimes.

#9 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 17 September 2001 - 11:28 AM

I also agree about Dalton, though Brosnan has turned out better than I ever expected (and what I expected was another Roger Moore). I think if Dalton had the benefit of scripts as sharp as Brosnan's, he'd have overcome the setback of LTK's disappointing US take (though it did well elsewhere in the world).
I'd love to have seen him film Kingsley Amis's "Colonel Sun" as his third movie.

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 September 2001 - 12:13 AM

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad PB became Bond when he did and I do think he's the better Bond. What I think I'm saying is I would have liked to have seen a 3rd Dalton Bond film during the six year gap (89-95) instaed of nothing. I felt Dalton didn't really get a chance and #3 could have been it.

#11 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 17 September 2001 - 10:34 PM

White Persian (17 Sep, 2001 12:28 p.m.):
I also agree about Dalton, though Brosnan has turned out better than I ever expected (and what I expected was another Roger Moore). I think if Dalton had the benefit of scripts as sharp as Brosnan's...

I agree.
The way I understand it, the script for TLD was already written with Moore in mind, before it was announced that Dalton was to take over.
A few minor changes would have been rewritten to accommodate Dalton's style, but it was much better that LTK, which would have been written purely with Dalton in mind.

#12 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 12 September 2001 - 08:47 PM

I would have liked to see Timothy Dalton play in the role again myself. In my mind, he is one of the best James Bond actors. He played it perfectly. He was also the closest to the Bond that was created by Ian Fleming.