21 replies to this topic

#1 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 09 April 2002 - 09:11 PM

Which Bond movie do you feel has gained a lot of critical acclaim, and the majority of people enjoy, but that you feel is disappointing?

I'll nominate Thunderball.

It is often said that the first 4 bonds are the classics and set the benchmark, but for me TB falls flat in the middle portion, and the underwater scenes are technically impressive but slow the pace of the movie down too much for my liking.

#2 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 09 April 2002 - 10:28 PM

It has to be The World Is Not Enough.
When it first came out, it was all hyped up. There were critics and fans alike, saying that it was ''spectacular'' and ''the best one yet!''.
Personally, the first time I saw it, I though it was a load os [cuss]. It definitely did not live up to the hype.
Even now, my friends (who are only 'occassional' Bond fans) still claim that its the best one. But, most of them haven't even seen them all!
Also, whenever you start a Bond conversation it always ends up going into either Goldfinger or The World Is Not Enough. Most people saying "I hope Die Another Day is better than The World is not Enough"
Of course it will be, but why not say the name of another Bond film. ie. An acclaimed one!

#3 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 11:06 PM

[quote]Jim (11 Apr, 2002 07:44 a.m.):
[quote]zencat (10 Apr, 2002 07:02 p.m.):

[quote] Dr. No is a pain in my :).[/quote]

I understand there are creams for this. [/quote]

ROTF! Jim! For Heaven't sake! Make sure no one is drinking when you come out with a line like that!

[quote] [b]For what it's worth, although I'm so, so tempted to venture that anyone even saying that Licence to Kill is "okay, I s'pose" is overrating it, [/quote]

Oh God! I am really starting to fear my weekend now!

[quote] [b]the most overrated film in me humblest of humble opinions is probably The World is not Enough. Don't get the fuss.[/quote]

I liked it a lot...but what fuss do people make about it?

-- Xenobia

#4 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 01:58 PM

The World is Not Enough

Loved it the first time, but soon wised up. Its intentions were good, but its definalty not up their with the best.

PS. Goldfinger rocks, great characters, great scenes, great quotes. :)

#5 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 04:26 PM

Leave TWINE alone! Soft spot Bond movie for me... love it to bits but I know it can be improved on and I'm sure it will with DAD. It's in my top 3.

Over rated? Goldfinger a little but my pet peeve is Goldeneye... that is so over rated by morons who think they know what a Bond movie should be. Not enough sensible action all a bit too silly and my God as a thriller it's stupid! People think it's great well I think it's just plain stupid! Some characters are **** the only saving grace for me is Onnatopp and Moneypenny. It marked the beginning of a new silly era... not silly comedy but silly action. And you know how much I hate the action. At least TWINE has some thriller elements and as people have said... it's intentions were good.

#6 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 09 April 2002 - 10:15 PM

I'll probably annoy some people :) but in my opinion, GF is overrated. I wouldn't say it's the most overrated, nor do I despise it. In fact I like it, I just don't think it's as enjoyable as everyone makes it out. In my opinion.

I know people say it's the Bond movie that a lot of the others copied, I'm not denying that. I'm saying that I don't find it extremely enjoyable.

#7 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 06:11 AM

RossMan (10 Apr, 2002 03:13 a.m.):

Xenobia (10 Apr, 2002 02:54 a.m.):
Maybe it worked better in the novel, but certainly not in this movie.

-- Xenobia

Curious, do you mean that little fight with Klebb, becuase if so, that's COMPLETELY different in the novel, whose ending I would have liked to have seen in the film.

Curious? I thought my name was Xenobia? Hmm...gotta check that.

But yes...I am refering to the difference between the novel ending of FRWL, (which is the only part of the novel that I have read) and the movie ending. I, too, wish they had stayed closer to the novel in that case.

-- Xenobia

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 06:02 PM

Easily Dr. No is the most overrated Bond film. I've noticed when celebrities or casual Bond fans are asked to name their favorite Bond film is they will inevitably say Dr. No, "Because the first movie is still the best!" Well, that may be true of most movie franchises (Indy Jones, Superman, Batman, etc.) but it's certainly not true of the Bond series. One wonders when was the last time they actually watched Dr. No. It's pretty darn dated.

I also hate it when people criticize the more outrageous Bond films of the '70s by saying the series deviated too far from the "classic" style of Dr. No. Hello! Villain with metal hands living in an underground lair and throwing off rocket trajectories from his massive control room?

Dr. No is a pain in my :).

#9 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 09 April 2002 - 11:22 PM

[b]Definitely Goldfinger[b]

The first part is good, the Fort Knox fight is okay (lack of blood=bad ;D), but the hood's congress/laser scene are very dissapointing. Why not have Bond pass out under the laser? ???

In my humble opinion, A View to a Kill is much better at being Goldfinger than Goldfinger is!

#10 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 06:34 AM

I think both GoldenEye and Goldfinger are a little overrated.............but leave The World is not Enough alone...

#11 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 06:44 AM

zencat (10 Apr, 2002 07:02 p.m.):
Easily Dr. No is the most overrated Bond film. I've noticed when celebrities or casual Bond fans are asked to name their favorite Bond film is they will inevitably say Dr. No, "Because the first movie is still the best!" Well, that may be true of most movie franchises (Indy Jones, Superman, Batman, etc.) but it's certainly not true of the Bond series. One wonders when was the last time they actually watched Dr. No. It's pretty darn dated.

I'm not sure I agree. Watch it in black and white and/or in comparison to the staid old rubbish the British film industry was chucking out at the time. Its place as a revolutionary piece is not undeserved. "Dated" can be read as "vintage".

I also hate it when people criticize the more outrageous Bond films of the '70s by saying the series deviated too far from the "classic" style of Dr. No. Hello! Villain with metal hands living in an underground lair and throwing off rocket trajectories from his massive control room?

I agree that folks seem to analyse the initial quartet too favourably against the rest. Too often an indolent reviewer will trumpet that the latest Bond recaptures the style of (say) Dr. No or From Russia With Love. Stuff that; if they went about trying to recapture the style of The Spy Who Loved Me, that'd be fine by me.

Dr. No is a pain in my :).

I understand there are creams for this.

For what it's worth, although I'm so, so tempted to venture that anyone even saying that Licence to Kill is "okay, I s'pose" is overrating it, the most overrated film in me humblest of humble opinions is probably The World is not Enough. Don't get the fuss.

#12 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 11 April 2002 - 06:59 AM

I respect anyone's views on anything, but I please myself.

I Love ALL the Bond movies without worrying about anyone else's criticism or hype over any one of them.

#13 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 01:56 AM

Sorry!

#14 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 01:54 AM

I am sorry to say it because I figure I will be creamed for it...

From Russia With Love.

For me, Irma Blunt falls flat, Romanova isn't *that* terrific, I don't see that much of a bond (excuse the pun) between James and Kerim Bey, and the ending was a let down.

-- Xenobia

#15 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 09 April 2002 - 11:20 PM

[b]Definitely Goldfinger[b]

The first part is good, the Fort Knox fight is okay (lack of blood=bad ;D), but the hood's congress/laser scene are very dissapointing. Why not have Bond pass out under the laser? ???

In my humble opinion, A View to a Kill is much better at being Goldfinger than Goldfinger is!

#16 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 09 April 2002 - 11:50 PM

Do you think you've posted that enough times?
I take it you're having the same problem as me. I.e posts take ages to post and whilst waiting, simply clicking the mouse can cause it to be posted a second time. It's terrible problem I know.

#17 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 09 April 2002 - 11:23 PM

Definitely Goldfinger

#18 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 02:24 AM

I'll go with Goldfinger also. My parents and several people who saw the films on their first release tend to go for it. I've watched it several times over the years to try and capture why for myself but still don't appreciate it the way they do.

Probably few if any of us on the forum were around to appreciate how important Goldfinger was when it came out. So, in retrospect, it's harder to see why it's so great, although the villains are among the best IMO. Maybe if I'd seen it more when I was younger, but it wasn't shown on TV as often as the others.

Also a bit overrated, as covered in another thread, For Your Eyes Only, and later GoldenEye.

#19 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 09 April 2002 - 10:27 PM

I'm with ya Tynan. I dont hate it, I think people just praise it too much. I wont go into why, I believe I posted about it before on the Connery board though.

#20 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 09 April 2002 - 10:31 PM

JimmyBond (09 Apr, 2002 11:27 p.m.) (Edited): I'm with ya Tynan.

#21 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 02:11 AM

I have to say GoldenEye for reasons that I sated already, not even too long ago, somewhere in the Brosnan forums.

Goldfinger is actually probably my fav. Connery movie! But I agree, a lot of peple do praise a bit much, most of who I wonder if actually seen it or just recall other people saying it's the best. :)

#22 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 02:13 AM

Xenobia (10 Apr, 2002 02:54 a.m.):

-- Xenobia

Curious, do you mean that little fight with Klebb, becuase if so, that's COMPLETELY different in the novel, whose ending I would have liked to have seen in the film.