25 replies to this topic

#1 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 03:19 AM

I went to Best Buy tonight and purchased these DVDs...
  • Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001)
  • Road to Perdition (2002)
  • The Jacket (2005)
And on Thursday night I rented...
  • Layer Cake (2004)
I didn't really like Layer Cake but hopefully the rest are good. Have any of you bought any Daniel Craig films recently? If so, list them and tell us what you think of them.

#2 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 03:30 AM

Yes I bought 'Layer Cake' today but it was an exchange from something I didn't need so it was like a freebie.I wanted to see this film before his Bond signing became a reality so yesterday's announcement made it a deal maker, naturally.I'll rent "Road to perdition" since I never saw it but I don't expect to buy it....

I went on a similiar binge in '94 renting Brosnan films. Didn't buy any but I watched most of his stuff...Pierce was such an obvious choice for 007 though. This guy will be far different from any previous Bonds-and that is exciting. :)

Edited by Tarl_Cabot, 16 October 2005 - 03:42 AM.

#3 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 03:33 AM

I recently bought LAYER CAKE and THE JACKET. Both fo which were Sundance Film Festival films if I remember correctly. I actually bumped into Daniel Craig when I was there, but didn't think anything more of it until I got THE JACKET on DVD and remembered it was at Sundance.

#4 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 03:37 AM

I've had Road to Perdition on DVD since it came out.

None of his other films look all that good to me. Layer Cake, while a good role for Craig, was merely "ok". Overrated.

#5 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 04:35 AM

I've already got Layer Cake and The Jacket. Layer Cake was a mediocre film at best, but Daniel Craig's superb performance in the film was enough to save the film and make it worth watching all the way through. I was ready to accept Craig as Bond before seeing that film, but after seeing it, it totally convinced me and put aside any reservations that I had about him taking the role.

He was also quite good in The Jacket, although he was in a supporting role.

Those are the only two of his films that I actually own, but I have seen some others. I saw Road to Perdition and Tomb Raider, but didn't know who Craig was and that he was in the films at the time that I saw them, so I might have to go back and watch them again.

#6 hartley_bond

hartley_bond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 04:37 AM

I have LC and RTP. They're both great. I've rented The Jacket, which I liked and I've stayed the hell away from Lara Croft.

#7 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 06:32 AM

I would recommend Love is the Devil (as opposed to Craig is the Devil):-

to all the anti-Craigers, because he is taken up the poo-chute by Derek Jacobi AND THAT'S SOMETHING BOND WOULD NEVER DO and Craig has to play James Bond in every moment of his private and professional life because he does he does he does and anyway that's what Pierce Brosnan did and there's nothing remotely tragic about that.

to all others because it's a jolly good film

#8 avl

avl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 11:34 AM

to all the anti-Craigers, because he is taken up the poo-chute by Derek Jacobi AND THAT'S SOMETHING BOND WOULD NEVER DO and Craig has to play James Bond in every moment of his private and professional life because he does he does he does and anyway that's what Pierce Brosnan did and there's nothing remotely tragic about that.

to all others because it's a jolly good film

View Post

LOL :)

#9 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 11:46 AM

I think he got the point. :)

#10 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 12:42 PM

to all the anti-Craigers, because he is taken up the poo-chute by Derek Jacobi AND THAT'S SOMETHING BOND WOULD NEVER DO

View Post

Indeed, no. Bond would always give rather than receive, surely?

#11 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 12:47 PM

he is taken up the poo-chute by Derek Jacobi AND THAT'S SOMETHING BOND WOULD NEVER DO

View Post

Not entirely sure - with the wind in the hair on the beach "its what keeps me alive" in Goldeneye, I,m not sure whether Brozza-Bond managed to keep the bigger lads off him in the dorm...

#12 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 12:57 PM

he is taken up the poo-chute by Derek Jacobi AND THAT'S SOMETHING BOND WOULD NEVER DO

View Post

Not entirely sure - with the wind in the hair on the beach "its what keeps me alive" in Goldeneye, I,m not sure whether Brozza-Bond managed to keep the bigger lads off him in the dorm...

View Post

One awaits Blood Fever with some trepidation.

#13 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 12:59 PM

View Post

View Post

One awaits Blood Fever with some trepidation.

View Post

Bond: "Couldn't be arsed with him"

#14 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 01:03 PM

Keeping Up the British End.

etc.

You make think this is puerile, and indeed it is - but is it any worse that "Daniel Craig looks like he's been smashed in the face with razor wire and then gnawed at by something with a hell of a hunger on it"?

#15 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 01:11 PM

to all the anti-Craigers, because he is taken up the poo-chute by Derek Jacobi

View Post

The way I remember Love Is the Devil, it was most certainly the other way round!

It was on TV the same night part 1 of Archangel was on, quite a Craig night on the BBC.

And Craig

#16 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 01:18 PM

Rented Layer Cake and I have a friend who loves Tomb Raider so I'll borrow it from her.

#17 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 01:19 PM

View Post

The way I remember Love Is the Devil, it was most certainly the other way round!

View Post

Yes, you're quite right.

Sorry about that, SM art film fans.

#18 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 01:21 PM

etc.

You make think this is puerile, and indeed it is - but is it any worse that "Daniel Craig looks like he's been smashed in the face with razor wire and then gnawed at by something with a hell of a hunger on it"?

View Post

or, alternatively, suggesting Daniel Craig will be the worst Bond ever BEFORE he's even made a film!!!

#19 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 01:21 PM

"Daniel Craig looks like he's been smashed in the face with razor wire and then gnawed at by something with a hell of a hunger on it"

View Post

Which is, of course, very Fleming's Bond - or perhaps a bit closer to Stewart's. You may have given yourself a fanfic idea there. :)

So, Bond buggered Jacobi, then, and not the other way around? Splendid. All's right with the world.

#20 Marquis

Marquis

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 456 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 01:27 PM

etc.

View Post

or, alternatively, suggesting Daniel Craig will be the worst Bond ever BEFORE he's even made a film!!!

View Post

or, alternatively, suggesting Daniel Craig will be one of the best Bonds BEFORE he's even made a film!!!

#21 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 01:33 PM

Digitally ordered Layer Cake on Friday. It was very good.

I don't plan on buying or watching Lara Croft again, it's just too bad to watch.

#22 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 01:49 PM

View Post

View Post

Yes, you're quite right.

Sorry about that, SM art film fans.

View Post

I am certain they will find it in themselves to forgive you, but then again they may have enjoyed the slight.

#23 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 02:35 PM

I wonder how much money Bond has made for Layer Cake DVD sales in the last three days? I noticed two copies left...

#24 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 02:39 PM

etc.

View Post

View Post

or, alternatively, suggesting Daniel Craig will be one of the best Bonds BEFORE he's even made a film!!!

View Post

Touche... but then I've already seen YOLT, DAF, a bunch of bad films with Rog, Brozza...

#25 rdh007

rdh007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 02:44 PM

I'd never sleep with Derek Jacobi. One more strike against him. :) :)

#26 Dalton's Wendy

Dalton's Wendy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 08:51 PM

I really clicked on this topic, because I thought it was a topic to suggest what purchases Daniel Craig should make to improve his wardrobe!

Now, don't all jump on me at once, guys . . .

A Craig film I would highly recommend is 2003's Sylvia. It is the story of the tragic life of the iconic poet, Sylvia Plath, and her suicide after the desertion of her philandering husband, played by Craig.

It is an excellent movie, albeit one which is highly depressing, and possibly one of the saddest movies I have ever seen.

Definitely worth watching, however, on many counts.