This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Real men don't eat quiche, don't wear berrets, and don't wear....

68 replies to this topic

#1 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 11 March 2002 - 09:11 PM

....And that is where you come in. I open this topic for a discussion of those fashion faux pas that the usually briliant costume designers made in various Bond films. What do you wish James Bond never wore? What Bond girl should have her licenced revoked by the Fashion police? Here is the place to share.

My votes go to Bond wearing a kilt in "OHMSS." Maybe it was the kilt, maybe it was the actor, but it was just BAD!

And Carey Lowell deserved a lot better than that funky green potato sack dress she was stuck in for parts of LTK. I could have lived with out Plenty O'Toole's attempts at a costume too.

Next?

-- Xen

#2 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 25 March 2002 - 02:00 AM

OK...right...I got us into this mess, and I will get us out! Real women solve their own problems.

OK...just to remind you all...this is a post about bad moments in Bond...where things just went horribly wrong. After my little seague into....one of the other necessary elements of a Bond movie *ahem*....it is time to get back to the problematic aspects of Bond movies.

Real men do not have themes written for themselves: Just how James Bond know what Vijay was playing in "Octopussy"?

-- Xen

#3 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 06 April 2002 - 08:31 PM

You see what happens to this thread when the conversation turns back to Bond? It dies! :-D

More "quiche" moments I'd like to bring up (no pun inteded)

- all of Rogers trousers, flares have dated sooo badly

- Bond in a kilt. Sorry, I know I am going against my half-Scot blood, but it doesn't work

- Dalton's casual clothes in LTK. Bond in Levi's? Almost!!!

#4 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 25 March 2002 - 08:16 PM

OK I promise to be good (Xen, behave yourself girl :) )...

I would like to add Connery's pink tie into this Room 101 of Bond.

#5 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 11 March 2002 - 09:37 PM

Don't mean to say anything bad about Moore, but I didn' really like the costumes he would wear in his films, all those grey and brown pullovers, nor did i enjoy the clothes Natalya wore, they could have bee a bit more erotic especially for a Bond girl!

#6 The Girl With The Golden Gun

The Girl With The Golden Gun

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Location:Deep inside my hollowed out volcano...in the South of England!

Posted 11 March 2002 - 09:49 PM

well, those NHS round specs in OHMSS and the incredibly 80's shades in TLD ok it was the mind 1980's but now its just looks plain sad!!

#7 ShockTroop22

ShockTroop22

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 11 March 2002 - 09:50 PM

Ethan Hunt (11 Mar, 2002 09:37 p.m.):
nor did i enjoy the clothes Natalya wore, they could have bee a bit more erotic especially for a Bond girl!

I thought the same thing - but after a while when i came to think about it, why in the hell would a computer programmer in the middle or Severnaya, a barren wasteland of snow, be dressed to impress? I mean, who would she be trying to impress Boris? When i read "behind the scenes with GoldenEye", the costume designer (i cant remember if it was Lindy Hemming or not). But they said that Natalya's costumes were deliberatley supposed to be plain, and not sexy. However, they tried to inject some sexiness, with her bikini, a tribute to Ursula Andress' bikini, from Dr. No.

#8 ShockTroop22

ShockTroop22

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 11 March 2002 - 09:54 PM

The Girl With The Golden Gun (11 Mar, 2002 09:49 p.m.):
well, those NHS round specs in OHMSS and the incredibly 80's shades in  TLD ok it was the mind 1980's but now its just looks plain sad!!

Yeah, the glasses MUST be the worst fashion accessorie from the Bond films. I like the CK's from The World is not Enough, but those shades, that the CIA agents used to wear, in the Connery films, looking back, i cant understand what people saw in them! I suppose in about 10 years time, people will be talking about "those cheap looking suits that Pierce use to wear". And his "snide watch". Oh, well, im gonna go buy myself a cheap suit, and snide watch. :)

#9 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 11 March 2002 - 10:15 PM

How about Q-Branch's umbrella?

'Stinging in the Rain?' ^_^

The frilly shirt in OHMSS was kind of goofy, but not as bad as that yellow ski suit Why, James, why? Yellow shows up against snow, use white!!

#10 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 11 March 2002 - 10:20 PM

Okay, the orange turtleneck sweater in OHMSS and, if henchmen's clothes count: Kanaga's guards in LALD all have those tight, red shirts, eughh. :)

Or how about Stromberg's sub captain? He had a silly look.
Or probably Blofeld's oil rig employees with their bright-orange gloves and boots, and the dark-blue cover-alls.

#11 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 05:57 AM

General Koskov (11 Mar, 2002 10:15 p.m.):
How about Q-Branch's umbrella?

'Stinging in the Rain?' ^_^

The frilly shirt in OHMSS was kind of goofy, but not as bad as that yellow ski suit Why, James, why? Yellow shows up against snow, use white!!

Yes but if he blended in....how could anyone see 007 to shoot at him? And what is the purpose of a ski chase scene if no one is shooting at Bond?

Oh wait....I remember why we have ski scenes...so they can play "California Girls."

-- Xen

#12 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 07:52 AM

The cravat and nice woolly jumper at the start of GoldenEye are pretty offensive. Did his mummy dress him?

Roger Moore's leather/suede jacket in AVTAK is nasty, albeit that it's useful for skin grafts.

The pink tie...let's not go there again

The towelling shirt thing we see Connery in at the start of DAF, with Marie. Quoting the wife here (a nurse, so she knows what she's on about) "That man has bitch tits".

The extremely loud check "sports" jacket at the end of TMWTGG. What sports, pray tell? Sending the enemy blind?

The golf get-up in OHMSS

Haven't picked one out for Timothy Dalton. On the whole, he's a scruffbag most of the way through Licence to Kill (and I'm not sitting through it again to check otherwise) but he's generally inoffensive. Like bland wallpaper. The magnolia paint of James Bond. Perhaps his bow ties are too thin, though (admittedly I'm clutching at straws here).

No-one could carry a safari suit off like Roger Moore. Except maybe for a bin man.

#13 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 08:32 AM

Just a question Xenobia, if real men don't do all that. What do they do?

#14 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 10:55 PM

Blue Eyes (12 Mar, 2002 08:32 a.m.):

Real men:

-- Fight the good fight, especially when no one else is looking.

-- Stand by their women and children, and aren't afraid to hug and kiss them in public.

-- Swear among themselves, but not in polite company.

-- Read the newspaper to keep up with the world and read poetry to keep up with their souls.

-- Appreciate chick flicks. They may not like them, but they appreciate them.

-- Honor their committments. All of them.

-- Cry.

-- Love James Bond, but know why it is not a good idea emmulate everything he does.

Is that enough for you Blue Eyes?

-- Xen

#15 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 11:06 PM

Yes that's great, thank you. I adhere to most of those so maybe I'm a real man ;D

#16 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 13 March 2002 - 01:39 AM

Xenobia (12 Mar, 2002 10:55 p.m.):

Real men:

Good list! One thing I would add..

--- Fulfill their promises

#17 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 13 March 2002 - 08:02 PM

Blue Eyes (12 Mar, 2002 11:06 p.m.):
Yes that's great, thank you. I adhere to most of those so maybe I'm a real man ;D

Well, isn't that big of you to say! Next time you are in NYC, let me know, and we will find out if that is true! ;-)

-- Xen

#18 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 13 March 2002 - 10:36 PM

I'll keep that offer in mind :)

#19 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 13 March 2002 - 10:46 PM

I don't think Bond applies to all of them, I don't think he even watches 'chik filks', only I remember in the precreds of TLD the woman on the boat told the man on the phone "if only I could find a real man" - then hey presto - bond appears, she is overwhelmed, a real man has appeared!! So you may need to change that list!

#20 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 14 March 2002 - 09:39 PM

James Page (13 Mar, 2002 01:39 a.m.):

Xenobia (12 Mar, 2002 10:55 p.m.):

Real men:

Good list! One thing I would add..

--- Fulfill their promises

Excellent addition...is that perhaps taken from a certain reading you have been given?

-- Xen

#21 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 14 March 2002 - 09:42 PM

Ethan Hunt (13 Mar, 2002 10:46 p.m.):
I don't think Bond applies to all of them, I don't think he even watches 'chik filks', only I remember in the precreds of TLD the woman on the boat told the man on the phone "if only I could find a real man" - then hey presto - bond appears, she is overwhelmed, a real man has appeared!!  So you may need to change that list!

I can't swear...but in the novels, I do think Bond has been known to watch a chick flick or two -- the means to justify his kind of ending. ;-)

-- Xen

#22 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 14 March 2002 - 11:38 PM

Xenobia (14 Mar, 2002 09:39 p.m.):
Excellent addition...is that perhaps taken from a certain reading you have been given?

-- Xen

Of course yeah! :) It also happens to be my rule number 8 :)

#23 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 15 March 2002 - 12:06 AM

James Page (14 Mar, 2002 11:38 p.m.):

-- Xen

Of course yeah! :) It also happens to be my rule number 8 :)

That low down the list, huh? ;)

#24 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 15 March 2002 - 06:15 AM

Blofeld's Cat (15 Mar, 2002 12:06 a.m.):

James Page (14 Mar, 2002 11:38 p.m.):

-- Xen

Of course yeah! ;) It also happens to be my rule number 8 :)

::Xen takes a whiplash hit:: DAMN! James, I think you have just been told! What are you going to do about that???

What have I started? :) Are we going to have a good little cat fight ala Elektra and Bond at the end of TWINE?

-- Xen
That low down the list, huh? :)

#25 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 16 April 2002 - 04:42 PM

Well, I was just going to say that I thought the Blue & Red outfits Blofeld's men wore in DAF were just dandy, but then I started reading.

I would like to say that on reading this thread I find it to be absoultely disgusting - that I missed it.

#26 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 15 March 2002 - 09:59 AM

[quote]Xenobia (15 Mar, 2002 06:15 a.m.):
::Xen takes a whiplash hit:: DAMN! James, I think you have just been told! What are you going to do about that???

What have I started? :) Are we going to have a good little cat fight ala Elektra and Bond at the end of TWINE?

-- Xen
That low down the list, huh? :)[/quote][/quote]

You don't know what my rules are for numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7 are yet ;)

#27 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 15 March 2002 - 10:58 PM

[quote]James Page (15 Mar, 2002 09:59 a.m.):
[quote]Xenobia (15 Mar, 2002 06:15 a.m.):

-- Xen
That low down the list, huh? :)[/quote][/quote]

You don't know what my rules are for numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7 are yet ;)[/quote]

I guess the real question is...what are your 007 rules! Come on Page -- you opened the door, walk through it!

-- Xen

#28 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 16 March 2002 - 12:51 AM

Xenobia (15 Mar, 2002 10:58 p.m.):
I guess the real question is...what are your 007 rules! Come on Page -- you opened the door, walk through it!

-- Xen

I couldn't possibly reveal such sensitive information on such an unsecure channel :)

#29 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 16 March 2002 - 02:10 AM

James Page (16 Mar, 2002 12:51 a.m.):

Xenobia (15 Mar, 2002 10:58 p.m.):

-- Xen

I couldn't possibly reveal such sensitive information on such an unsecure channel :)

Slamming the door in her face! :)

#30 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 16 March 2002 - 01:27 PM

Blofeld's Cat (16 Mar, 2002 02:10 a.m.):
Slamming the door in her face! :)

Not at all, just not going to broadcast them here :-)