This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Best overall Bond music of each Bond movie.

4 replies to this topic

#1 Friedrich Baxter

Friedrich Baxter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 09 March 2002 - 08:18 PM

1) The Living Daylights
2) On Her Majesty's Secret Service
3) Moonraker
4) The Spy Who Loved Me
5) From Russia With Love.

Next time I explain why. My mother says, that I should disconnect from the world wide web immediately (too expensive)

#2 Friedrich Baxter

Friedrich Baxter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 10 March 2002 - 03:53 PM

Well, the 007 theme was being used in Moonraker for the last time. I don't understand why David Arnold forgot to make a remake of the 007 theme on his album 'Shaken and Stirred'. I hope he caught his eyes gain on this particular theme, because I love it when I hear it again in Bond 20!

But now the reason why I have choesen for the particular top 5 of best overall Bond music

1) Soundtracks like Inflight Fight, Where Has Everybody Gone and Ice Chase are truly memorable. The James Bond theme actually gets for the first time a recovery. You can say it's a bloody good remix. Nothing of the instrumental part is lost, but he uses the electrical music very well; not too complicated like David Arnold. I was hoping that after TLD John Barry would do more Bond movies, but alas, he didn't
2) Why? Well it's hard to say. But with the arrival of a new 007, there's also the arrival of a totally new John Barry sound, if you ask me. Barry must had this in mind. When 007 is investigating Gumbolds office and when he is using Q's safecracker, we can hear some VERY thrilling music. It's a shame that it never appearred on the soundtrack album of OHMSS. But don't forget the memorable Ski Chase music. The love theme is also EXCELLENT!
3) This is the BEST orchestral music of John Barry in all the Bond movies. What about that stunning music during the laser fight?! But don't forget the excellent use of the 007 theme (last time though). And I like the music of Shirley Bassey, especially the disco version. He uses the Bond theme for the first time without guitar, and that works out very good!
4) Marvin Hamlisch is the only one, from who I can say that he deserves a place in my top 10. The music during the car chase is EXCELLENT! His remixed Bond '77 theme sounds excellent, a little bit jazzy. But what about the music during the openingsg scene? It's very good and (too ;-) original. I don't understand why he wasn't asked again for a Bond movie when John Barry was absent again for a Bond movie.
5) Well, this music is very diffrent from the previues ones in the top 5. But the music is some kind of spooky. You can feel the villainous atmosphere of SPECTRE very good. But even soundtracks like Girl Trouble and 007 Takes The Lektor are memorable too. Barry was without Monty Norman in this Bond movie, and I must say, a very good succes. Even the music during the main titles is very good, and so is his James Bond them. Don't forget the first use of the 007 theme!

Well, that's my top 5, now it's your turn.

David Arnold is still very good. I hope he can forget me of John Barry, but that still didn't happen. He must learn that every Bond movie needs his particular music. Let him be a bit more original, and let him not look to much to John Barry. Bill Conti and Marvin Hamlisch had there own style, maybe after Bond 20 this is also the case with Arnold. Right now KD Lang's Surrender is still MY favourite Bond soundtrack of David Arnold.

#3 Adam

Adam

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 335 posts

Posted 11 March 2002 - 05:58 PM

My favorites are:
1) For Your Eyes Only--definitely. I'm listening to Melina's Revenge right now and I can't get enough. Bill Conti was right on w/ this score. Runaway's also an awesome song.
2) Goldfinger--especially the instrumental version of "Goldfinger".
3) The Spy Who Loved Me--Ride to Atlantis and Bond '77--gold
4) Tomorrow Never Dies--sometimes a bit techno-y, but Arnold's Backseat Driver & Hamburg Break-Out are great to listen to with or without the movie
5) The Living Daylights--especially Inflight Fight

I would include A View to a Kill, but Barry overuses the main score from Snow Job way too much throughout the film.

#4 Alex

Alex

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 02:28 AM

1. Live and Let Die
2. A View To A Kill
3. The Living Daylights
4. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
5. Nobody Does It Better

#5 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 March 2002 - 04:14 AM

I've heard many negative coments about the music in GoldenEye, but I have to say that I think it is my favorite in the series. I just love the way it sounds and its very unique. Somehow I think it is very fitting and I love how it works with the film....

Also, it's always great to hear the 007 theme! Whenever it comes on I think to myself "THIS is why I love these movies!" because Bond is doing something simply amazing..