This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

FRWL demo discs available from Best Buy!

18 replies to this topic

#1 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 06:31 AM

I just got an EA demo disc from Best Buy that has FRWL on it. They're giving them out for free, the discs also have a Need for Speed game (what, another one?) and an SSX snowboarding type game. The disc is for PS2, I don't know if its available for other systems.

The demo is pretty good, unfortunately its only on "easy" mode so most people will just plow through it very quickly without much of a challenge. They really did a good job on the Sean Connery model, when he shoots, he stands in the classic half-turned way that Connery did in the movies.
The demo consists of the opening level of the game where you fight terrorists (SPECTRE/Octopus?) in the Houses of Parliament and then use the jetpack to fly around Big Ben. My favorite part was when terrorists rappel from the ceiling, you can actually shoot the ropes they're holding on to, so they fall off. You can also just smash up random display cases and vases etc, if you want to play it Roger Moore style! The 'Bond focus' bit is done differently from Everything or Nothing, you can zoom in really close and adjust your aim for headshots, but you only have a limited window of opportunity to do this.
Presentation is top-notch, I believe they use the exact gunbarrel from FRWL. So basically, from this angle, it's shaping up nicely...

Edited by dinovelvet, 10 October 2005 - 06:31 AM.

#2 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:27 PM

I hate to be a party pooper, but I mentioned this a few threads down.

http://debrief.comma...showtopic=25610

Still, it's nice to know at least SOMEONE else has one...

#3 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:30 PM

A buddy of mine told me the first level is just amazing.

#4 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 08:25 PM

View Post

Yeah I know, I read your post, I just wanted to get the word out that you can get the demo at Best Buy.

#5 mtonline

mtonline

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 388 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 08:36 PM

I SHALL GO GET ONE TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M_T

#6 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 10:26 PM

View Post

Yeah I know, I read your post, I just wanted to get the word out that you can get the demo at Best Buy.

View Post

Oh! All's well, then!

Man, isn't this gonna be a great freaking game?! I've been looking forward to this all year...

#7 J.B.

J.B.

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 297 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 11:11 PM

If someone is able to get one of these in XBox format would you let me know? I just went to BestBuy from your fyi and they didnt have it...not even in PS2 yet...

If anyone gets on for XBox please post it so I will know they have it...thanks. :)

#8 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 03:26 AM

If someone is able to get one of these in XBox format would you let me know? I just went to BestBuy from your fyi and they didnt have it...not even in PS2 yet...

If anyone gets on for XBox please post it so I will know they have it...thanks. :)

View Post

Hate to be a party pooper, but knowing EA if they haven't released a non-PS2 demo already they likely won't...

#9 Agent007.5

Agent007.5

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 07:18 PM

Does anyone know if the demo disc are avalible at Best Buy's Canadian stores (yes, they now have stores here in Canada), or is it just for their American stores, maybe when I go to get my copy of Batman Begins on Tuesday, I'll see if they are giving them out. They are free right? and you don't have to buy another game to get them?

#10 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 07:51 PM

They are free right? and you don't have to buy another game to get them?

View Post

In my experience, they're usually free or come with the purchase of something like a magazine for instance.

#11 mtonline

mtonline

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 388 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 11:59 PM

if uve played the demo, u should have a rough grasp so far, wut r ur thoughts?

personally i think itll be awsome, the only thing i noticed was u can tell connery is gettin a lil old, other than that, hearin him say "bond, james bond" made me feel so special :)

M_T

#12 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 12:37 AM

They are free right? and you don't have to buy another game to get them?

View Post

In my experience, they're usually free or come with the purchase of something like a magazine for instance.

View Post

Yes they're free, you don't have to buy anything else to get one. They don't have barcodes on them, so even if they wanted to charge you, there's no way of ringing them up!

#13 MI-6 Director

MI-6 Director

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 03:50 AM

Some Best Buy stores are giving away From Russia With Love demo discs for free. I picked one up the other day. The demo doesn't show off anything really big but it lets you play the London mission and fly around the Clock Tower in a jetpack. The demo lets the player use a silenced Walther PPK and a Kronen machine gun. The goal of the mission featured in the demo is to rescue the Prime Minister's daughter. It seems like the developers just wanted to open the game differently than the movie.

#14 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 03:56 AM

Yep, there's a thread around here covering it. Seems like a couple fans are finding these now. :)

[Mods note: Threads merged]

#15 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 05:13 AM

The demo doesn't show off anything really big but it lets you play the London mission and fly around the Clock Tower in a jetpack.

View Post

This is one of the levels that was available to "test drive" during the E3 Expo. I got to have a go at it there and thought wow... this really has an awesome feel about it. I don't know what it was but it really sucked me into the Bond world. I was amused by the fact that Bond can walk on chandeliers. :)

#16 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 03:52 AM

The demo doesn't show off anything really big but it lets you play the London mission and fly around the Clock Tower in a jetpack.

View Post

This is one of the levels that was available to "test drive" during the E3 Expo. I got to have a go at it there and thought wow... this really has an awesome feel about it. I don't know what it was but it really sucked me into the Bond world. I was amused by the fact that Bond can walk on chandeliers. :)

View Post

Exactly my feeling. For some reason this one seems more 'immersive' than any of the Bond FPSes.

#17 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 04:00 AM

There's always going to be the comparisons to GE64...

#18 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 04:22 AM

Unfortunate but inevitable. I was merely referring to the notion that first-person shooters are suppose to 'immerse' the player more in the game than another genre...but honestly, when I was first playing the demo, I found myself comparing it favorably to Goldeneye.

When so many people have enough good memories of a game, it's going to set a standard for a lot of other titles. Many times to it's detriment.

#19 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 04:24 AM

Unfortunate but inevitable. I was merely referring to the notion that first-person shooters are suppose to 'immerse' the player more in the game than another genre...but honestly, when I was first playing the demo, I found myself comparing it favorably to Goldeneye.

When so many people have enough good memories of a game, it's going to set a standard for a lot of other titles. Many times to it's detriment.

View Post

Quite. They've set this one up to succeed. The praise from fans for this one seems to be un-ending.