6 replies to this topic

#1 Skin 17

Skin 17

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 11:48 PM

I was just wondering what everyone in here thought about the 2006 midterm election. After the indictments of Tom Delay and the investigation of Bill Frist, not to mention the CIA leak probe, the Republican's prospects aren't looking so good. However it is 13 months until the election and that is forever in the political realm.

#2 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 01:02 PM

The more I read about DeLay, the more I read about the prosecutor of the case, who is a Democrat, has tried to get him a few times before, as well as Kay Bailey Hutchison on similar charges, and failed, but had a little help from the foreman of the grand jury who was a friend of someone who lost to DeLay in a recent election. It just seems politically motivated here, but if there is wrongdoing, he should pay the price. I have to read up on Frist's situation before commenting on him. Heck, Democrats have gotten a former KKK member (Robert Byrd), a man who lets a woman just drown (Ted Kennedy), and Representatives who use the national guard as personal chauffers and home security (William Jefferson). As for the CIA leak, I think there is some substance to that, but time will tell.

#3 vosne

vosne

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 01:15 PM

In fact from what I've read this prosecutor has been gunning for corruption on both political sides. Back when the dems were in power he went after democrats. The appearance that he's 'witchhunting' Reps now seems to be due to the fact that they, the republicans, happen to be in power now.
I'm prepared to let the man do his job.

#4 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 03:54 PM

In fact from what I've read this prosecutor has been gunning for corruption on both political sides. Back when the dems were in power he went after democrats. The appearance that he's 'witchhunting' Reps now seems to be due to the fact that they, the republicans,  happen to be in power now.
I'm prepared to let the man do his job.

View Post

Ronnie Earle is free to do his job. I will reiterate, if DeLay did something wrong, he should be punished. I have done some checking on Earle, and have seen where he has gone after some Dems, but he loses credibility on the fact that the foreman of the grand jury has an ax to grind (See my previous post), and letting this case be documented by documentry film makers, taking them inside the process of indicting DeLay. I am sorry, but this sounds like a witch hunt on his part. Add this to the fact that Earle has dropped charges against four companies responsible- retail giant Sears, the restaurant chain Cracker Barrel, the Internet company Questerra, and the collection company Diversified Collection Services, after the companies pledged to contribute to a program designed to publicize Earle's belief that corporate involvement in politics is harmful to American democracy. Very unusual indeed. Couple that with a Sept 12 appearance by Earle at a Democrat fundraiser discussing DeLay in a public forum. If you are interested in where I am getting my facts, please e-mail me and I will send you the link to the websites.

Now to Sen Frist-If a Democratic Senator sold his/her stock in a company and the stock price lowered, it would not be mentioned. According to Thomson Financial, a reporting service, seven senior HCA executives sold 574,882 shares worth $19,942,610 between May 17 and June 10. A company spokesman, Jeff Prescott, said the executives are entitled "like other stockholders to make personal decisions, about when to sell." He said the executives complied with "blackout restrictions" imposed by the SEC to prevent dealing within a certain period prior to restatements of earnings. Now if this applies to Frist, he is off the hook. But if Frist had done some "wrangling"-talk to insiders, etc. He should be prosecuted.

Back to the topic at hand, I think for LA, there will be a few tight elections for some House Seats, but no body new. I can't speak for the rest of the country, however. Some states like Ohio, Florida, Massachussetts, Conneticutt will be interesting to watch, though.

#5 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 03:57 AM

If voters are upset with elected Republicans, that's one thing. But then when they are faced with choices like the prospect of Rep. Nancy Pelosi becoming Speaker of the House, that might cause second guessing as to whom to support. The Democrats' problems stem from lack of a central message or theme other than trying to be obstructionist for the sake of partisan politics. I clearly remember voters being angry at Clinton during the 1994 midterm elections because 1.) he raised taxes and 2.) the failed health care reform bill made his administration look ineffective. The Republicans, led by Newt Gingrich, capitalized on a weakened Democratic party and engineered a nation-wide "Republican revolution" to take control of the House and Senate. They did this by campaigning with a streamlined set of promises, called the "Contract with America".

But the Republican party right now is experiencing some serious inner conflict. There is a rift between the real conservatives (who are furious at the runaway spending) and the majority of elected GOP who have aquired a taste for pork projects.

Also, a significant part of the Republican base, pro-life Christians, are not pleased with the President's nomination of Harriet Miers. She may be pro-life, or not. Who knows? When you're a one-issue voter, you don't forget things like that.

#6 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 12:21 PM

If voters are upset with elected Republicans, that's one thing. But then when they are faced with choices like the prospect of Rep. Nancy Pelosi becoming Speaker of the House, that might cause second guessing as to whom to support. The Democrats' problems stem from lack of a central message or theme other than trying to be obstructionist for the sake of partisan politics. I clearly remember voters being angry at Clinton during the 1994 midterm elections because 1.) he raised taxes and 2.) the failed health care reform bill made his administration look ineffective. The Republicans, led by Newt Gingrich, capitalized on a weakened Democratic party and engineered a nation-wide "Republican revolution" to take control of the House and Senate. They did this by campaigning with a streamlined set of promises, called the "Contract with America".

But the Republican party right now is experiencing some serious inner conflict. There is a rift between the real conservatives (who are furious at the runaway spending) and the majority of elected GOP who have aquired a taste for pork projects.

Also, a significant part of the Republican base, pro-life Christians, are not pleased with the President's nomination of Harriet Miers. She may be pro-life, or not. Who knows? When you're a one-issue voter, you don't forget things like that.

View Post

:)

#7 JKD68

JKD68

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 02:00 PM

The democrat party is also in disarray. The extreme left wing is becoming the mainstream of the party. Moderate, old fashioned democrats are the minority now it seems. With both parties in a state of turmoil, the midterm elections should be very interesting.