2 replies to this topic

#1 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 01:59 AM

So I read 'The Man from Barbarossa' a while ago and the next Gardner book I picked up is Icebreaker. I'm only halfway through Icebreaker, but so far it seems an exact retread of Barbarossa (or the other way round, since Icebreaker came first). The similarities are too numerous to ignore, basically you could describe both books by saying :

A new, mysterious terror group with ties to Russia and Nazism force Bond to partner with a Russian and an Israeli (plus an American in Icebreaker) and their adventure leads them to a remote outpost at the freezing Finland/Russia border where a double-cross happens...

Gardner ran out of steam towards the end of his Bond run, or what?

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 03:09 AM

Fans seem to very often point out the retreading of many plots from Gardner novel to Gardner novel. Another example is (I'm pretty certain) No Deals, Mr. Bond and Death Is Forever.

#3 Gri007

Gri007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 08:40 PM

Seeing that we're mentioning Icebreaker. Changing the subject slightly, I visted Zencat's webpage and noticed what looked like a binder on the homepage with 'Icebreaker' written on it. I know John is a screenwriter, so could that well be a 'Icebreaker' screen treatment.