Bond DVDs?

16 replies to this topic

#1 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 September 2001 - 04:05 AM

Does anyone know why there seems to be a shortage of Bond DVDs? They don't have any at my local BestBuy or Circuit City, and they aren't on either website. Amazon.com doesn't have the ones I was looking for, and every other site I checked out didn't have any in stock. MGM is selling all of them, but the films from the first set are $35! If anyone knows anything about this, I would appreciate it. Unfortunately, I have a few from each set, so I can't just buy the set, which would save money.

Thanks!

#2 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 08 September 2001 - 06:15 AM

Good lord that sounds promising James!

But I still am disappointed with the current DVDs. I just felt like they were too rushed. I mean it's Bond for crying out loud. There is so much content they could put in that they didn't!

#3 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 07 September 2001 - 10:08 PM

I thought the 007 SE discs were great, until they got to the Brosnan era.

I guess I am lucky, in that what I do for a living has an input on the likes of the Bond DVD's, but on the other hand I know how these things have been put together.

I got to see the likes of the DN and TWINE discs *well* before their launch. Ater the release of the Conney era, the post-production house (which I won't name cos they no doubt read this!) fell behind schedule and the work had to be farmed out to other post-prod houses in London.

Needless to say, by the time they got to GE the plans for the documentaries and deleted scenes fell by the way-side - in order to meet MGM's release schedule.

That's why the R2 & R4 version of TND is just a re-spin of the R1 disc (but thankfully it has far superior PAL encoding of a first-generation print).

Sadly for us hard-core fans, due to the cost of authoring we will not see a reworking of the DVD series until after Bond 20 - probably in the run up to Bond 21.

But all is not lost, I have info that the US are to start screening HD (high definition) versions of the early fims, and are in the process of remastering the original prints in the digital HD format. HD TV will not be widely available in the UK until about 2004.

The way things are going, we could see HD 007 SE within 3 years!

Well, enough about that, I'm not at work right now =)

=
J

#4 Vargas

Vargas

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 September 2001 - 04:33 PM

I imagine a problem getting more extras onto the discs in time for release is copyright and who owns it. A lot of the Bond disc extras are old.
Traking down the legal bits must be a nightmare if the sources are no longer around

#5 M.

M.

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 September 2001 - 08:15 AM

I'm from Belgium, and over here all Bond DVD 's are available without any problem.
I just watched the Thunderball DVD with all the extra's - damn'good stuff ! I loved the double audio track.
Can anyone tell me if the other DVD's from 007 are of the same quality ?

#6 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 06 September 2001 - 11:23 PM

I wonder if we'll get anything special in Oz? It would be a nice way to finish off my collection by getting free Corgis :) But somehow I doubt it!

Will the re-design the cover work? I can imagine we'll see some 40th Anniversary sticker somewhere. The Bond 20 DVD will probably have a 40th Year Special on it as a docu.

Overall I'm very disappointed with the Bond DVD's. There is so much content out there available and they put crap on it. Heaps of deleted scene, everything. If only they had the urge for money that George Lucas did. Have you seen an Ep 1 DVD? Now that is a real DVD!

#7 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 September 2001 - 11:07 PM

Boldman (01 Sep, 2001 02:10 p.m.):
I think they're going to be re-released much sooner than Bond 20. I heard it was just a matter of weeks!

They'll be exactly the same, but you get a free Corgi bond car with them.

Any more info Boldman on this? Where you heard it etc...?

#8 MDSmith

MDSmith

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 September 2001 - 04:43 PM

[quote]SugarRayBk (01 Sep, 2001 05:05 a.m.):
Does anyone know why there seems to be a shortage of Bond DVDs?

I don't know what part of the world you are from but in New England Costcos a wholesaler is seller them for $10. Try there web site. You could also try ebay. But they can even go up to 20 or 30.

#9 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 06 September 2001 - 07:19 PM

For those who know me outside of these forums, you'll know I have sources inside the DVD industry...

I can tell you all that there are no plans to re-author the 007 SE DVD's for Region 2.

The discs themselves will remain the same for the re-release of the series, but the rumours of specific titles being packaged with a Corgi minature of a featured vehicle are true.

Cheers,
J
(Ever keeping an ear to the ground...)

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 September 2001 - 04:09 PM

Speaking of the DVDs...

Are you not happy with the artwork and design of the current set? Prefer original poster art? Well, go here and check these out. http://www.thedigita...regg/index.html

#11 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 12:18 AM

Yeah, its great that they get improved, a though I'll probably fork out the money for a future edition of the series, its still alot to ask, you should be able to trade-in your old collection and get a discount on a new one.

#12 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 September 2001 - 04:04 PM

Blue Eyes (02 Sep, 2001 12:07 a.m.):

Boldman (01 Sep, 2001 02:10 p.m.):
I think they're going to be re-released much sooner than Bond 20. I heard it was just a matter of weeks!

Any more info Boldman on this? Where you heard it etc...?

I sure haven't heard anything about this. I suspect they're going to do a re-release next year for BOND 20 and the 40th Anniversary.

#13 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 12:07 AM

As long as they jump on the George Lucas bandwagon I'll be happy. The Phantom Menace DVD is fantastic and we already know that in about 5 years we'll get another version of TPM that will be even better. So go figure!

#14 Vargas

Vargas

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 September 2001 - 04:00 PM

I live in England and understand the US versions have different content and graphics to the Europe counterparts. (They're a lot more expensive in Europe too) Is this true and why?

#15 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 September 2001 - 09:26 AM

I'm led to believe that MGM has stopped producing them and will re-release them around the time of Bond 20. The newer ones could have new features etc... like the Star Wars Video's always seem to have!

#16 Boldman

Boldman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 September 2001 - 01:10 PM

#17 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 12 September 2001 - 07:59 AM

You know what ? I reakon they deliberatly made the extras and stuff less than perfect so that they could improve them later on and sell them as "Super Duper Deluxe Extra Ultimate Special Editionms" later on. I think for extras are okay, but some of the covers look like very little thought went into them, LTK, FYEO and TB as examples.