12 replies to this topic

#1 White Knight

White Knight

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 19 February 2002 - 07:59 PM

I was just listening to the song Live and Let Die. Even the movie wasn't my favorite that title was probably the best in the series. That title pretty much describes the world and life of Bond. In my opinion it was rather clever, and my favorite title name. Wich is your favorite title name?

#2 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 20 February 2002 - 04:01 PM

Tanger007 (20 Feb, 2002 12:56 a.m.):(edited)
Those over at Bond20.com (Ok i popped over there, but only because the CBN server was busy) say that we should refer to the films by their full titles ie. On Her Majesty's Secret Service and not OHMSS. Apparently when reading it, they find it too difficult to work out what the film is!!!!!

I personally always refer to the full title of the film or book the first time I mention the title in the a post and only abbreviate on the second usage. I do this to be polite to people who are new to Bond and don't know the abbreviation. Of course, since there are really no Bond newbies on these forums I do it because I'm an anal geek. (That's the figurative use of the word anal not the literal use.) I certainly don't expect anyone else to follow these standards.

Tanger007 (20 Feb, 2002 11:07 a.m.):(edited)
The Spy Who Loved Me - Bond talking about Anya.

I always took this as Anya talking about Bond. As with the book where it is the Girl speaking of Bond. This is not to imply that Bond actually loved these women but more gave them some loving (if you know what I mean).

#3 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 20 February 2002 - 11:07 AM

I like to go through the titles and see how they relate to the movies.

DR. NO
Goldfinger
Octopussy - Character Names

On Her Majesty's Secret Service
For Your Eyes Only
Licence To Kill -Secret Service terms

From Russia With Love -Refering to Tatiana

Thunderball - The name of the operation in the film

You Only Live Twice - Bond fakes his death and then is revealed to still be alive. In a way, living twice.

Diamonds Are Forever - The film is about diamond smuggling. The forever bit is a true statement, although where it fits into the film, I don't know.

Live And Let Die - as above

The Man With The Golden Gun - Doesn't really fit under character names. the term used to refer to Scaramanga.

The Spy Who Loved Me - Bond talking about Anya.

Moonraker - the name of Drax's shuttles.

A View To A Kill - Refers to Silicon Valley going from a nice view, to everybody being killed.

The Living Daylights - scared out of Kara

GoldenEye - Thought to be a space weapons program, althought actually refers to a disk/key, which is square metal with a jewel insert in it, name the 'GoldenEye'

Tomorrow Never Dies - Carver's newspaper

The World Is Not Enough - Bond family motto

#4 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 23 February 2002 - 01:31 PM

I always thought that Anya would be the on saying that :)

#5 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 22 February 2002 - 02:49 PM

scaramanga (22 Feb, 2002 01:09 p.m.):
That's true, but the line was going to be in the film but was dropped. At the end of the film, with Bond and Anya are in the escape pod together, Anya lowers the gun and Bond was going to say: "Here's to the spy who loved me".

That's interesting. I never knew about that! I wish they had kept it in the film, then it would have made the title clearer.

#6 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 22 February 2002 - 01:09 PM

Tanger007 (20 Feb, 2002 11:13 p.m.):

Mister Asterix (20 Feb, 2002 04:01 p.m.):
I always took this as Anya talking about Bond. As with the book where it is the Girl speaking of Bond. This is not to imply that Bond actually loved these women but more gave them some loving (if you know what I mean).

If you watch the trailer it goes something like this.

Gunbarrel, Bond walks on, shoots, walks forward towards camera.

"My name is Bond. James Bond.
My latest (and if I'm not careful, my last) assignment, will take me to new heights of adventure. New depths of danger. Into new dimensions of villainy. And of course there'll be...fascinating new women.
Every job has its rewards. In this case...its the Spy Who Loved Me."

So, there you go. But if you haven't seen the trailer, then feel free to interpret the title any way you want.

That's true, but the line was going to be in the film but was dropped. At the end of the film, with Bond and Anya are in the escape pod together, Anya lowers the gun and Bond was going to say: "Here's to the spy who loved me".

#7 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 20 February 2002 - 12:57 AM

Don't ask me why I posted that here!!!!!

#8 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 20 February 2002 - 12:56 AM

Those over at Bond20.com (Ok i popped over there, but only because the CBN server was busy) say that we should refer to the films by their full titles ie. On Her Majesty's Secret Service and not OHMSS. Apparently when reading it, they find it too difficult to work out what the film is!!!!! :-D
IGITS

#9 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 19 February 2002 - 09:11 PM

Live And Let Die is my favourite title also. Then probably The Living Daylights and You Only Live Twice. (I never thought about it before but I guess I like the 'Live' titles.)

#10 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 20 February 2002 - 11:26 PM

Very interesting, thanks for the info Tanger. I don't take trailers and the like as canon, but it does show that at least somebody at Eon saw the title as the way you say. I guess I also always saw it as XXX talking about Bond because I don't like the idea of Bond using the 'L' word.

#11 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 20 February 2002 - 11:13 PM

Mister Asterix (20 Feb, 2002 04:01 p.m.):

My latest (and if I'm not careful, my last) assignment, will take me to new heights of adventure. New depths of danger. Into new dimensions of villainy. And of course there'll be...fascinating new women.

So, there you go. But if you haven't seen the trailer, then feel free to interpret the title any way you want.

#12 White Knight

White Knight

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 20 February 2002 - 04:34 PM

well, that is a little odd. I just write out the abbriviations because um...well.... I'm used to it. I'm sry Bond 20, but thats the way I do things.

#13 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 27 February 2002 - 07:14 PM

Tanger007 (20 Feb, 2002 11:13 p.m.):

scaramanga (22 Feb, 2002 01:09 p.m.):

I've thought about this, and while you fellows have good arguements that 007 is the 'Me' and XXX is 'The Spy' in the title The Spy Who Loved Me. I would say that neither of your examples are actually in the film. There is one place where the phrase 'The Spy Who Loves Me' is actually said in the film. And I would say in this case it is Anya speaking of Bond. Although in this case it is Carly Simon as Anya. The theme is clearly a women--presumably representing Anya--singing about Bond. So I'd say the title is Anya speaking of Bond and I'd also say I've wasted a lot of time thinking about something that really doesn't matter.