6 replies to this topic

#1 White Knight

White Knight

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 09 February 2002 - 03:48 PM

I was watching the Olympic ceremony last night. They were showing what security is going to be like for the next 2 weeks. When I saw that they have ski patrollers with guns, it brought me to remember OHMSS. It is amazing how real the Bond movies seem now.

#2 Friedrich Baxter

Friedrich Baxter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 09 February 2002 - 11:25 PM

I agree with you. But compared to these situations, The Living Daylights is even MORE real. During those days 007 could cooperate very well with the Mudjahaddin (a same group like the Taliban in those days). THAT'S now a bit different, don't you think??

It remembers me also about the new movie Star Trek: Nemesis. They were planning to include violent scenes in which the Romulans were attacked by terrorists! Later, they have cancelled these scenes, and even on Star Trek homepages, there were condolences for the people who where killed on the 11th of september.

I expected that some Bond homepages did the same! It's a pity that that didn't happened, because you should realize that James Bond has become more real after the 11th of september!

Ooh, and about the Olympics......I agree with you. One little detail: Netherlands has won the first gold medal with speedskating! Congratulations Jochem Uythdehaage! That does remind me of something. Great Brittain would be a serious competitor on the Winter Olympics, when they used 007!! ;-)

#3 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 04 March 2002 - 01:18 AM

I heard somewhere that the picture of Bond sliding across Piz Gloria's curling rink with the Sterling submachinegun was used to advertise the Olympics (or something like that) with the phrase: 'Bond goes for the Gold!'

Pretty clever, I think.

#4 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 04 March 2002 - 03:42 AM

And lets not forget the Chennel 7 network used the Bond theme (off-key) to advertise the Salt Lake city Winter olympics!

#5 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 10 February 2002 - 01:24 PM

I felt there was also a hint of the winter Olympics in FYEO.

Hopefully the rumour of Miranda Frost winning a medal at fencing at Sydney 2000 is true, and the connection between Bond and the Olympics can continue.

#6 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 04 March 2002 - 05:05 AM

Channel 7 is called Channel 7. It's in Australia!

#7 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 04 March 2002 - 05:03 AM

Really? What's channel 7? The name of the network, I mean.

Did they connect it with the skiing, or something? Because the Bond theme isn't what one associates with the Olympics.