This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

CBn Reviews 'Moonraker'

75 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate 'Moonraker'

Rate 'Moonraker'

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 05:18 AM

From CBn's main page...

Posted Image
CBn Reviews 'Moonraker'
Forum members review the eleventh James Bond film

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 06:20 AM

We got our Moonraker Moore Sideshow figure today and I was just looking at the poster on the box thinking how utterly wild it must have been to see this poster in 79 and learn this was what the next Bond movie was going to be about. Bond in outer space? How can that work? Well, it's works. It's a great big bold Cubby Broccoli Bond flick and it rocks! A different era, that's for sure. An era when Bond wasn't taken soooooo seriously. I really miss that.

#3 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 11:39 AM

It was great- Roger at his best. Just a shame the action sequences are so terrible and undermined by the laughs just a shade too much (still odd in a movie which features the G-force section and Corinne's murder). Spy Who Loved Me is its superior, but only just.

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 12:09 PM

It's such a fun film, and that poster is my favorite of the series, I think.

#5 Spang

Spang

Cadet

• Crew
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 12:39 PM

Although Dalton's my favourite Bond, I have a special fondness for the lighter films, good to pop in on a friday night and watch, get some laughs. And Moonraker is purely one of Roger's best.

How do you submit a review for this?

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 04:56 PM

How do you submit a review for this?

View Post

All information for submitting a review for any Bond film found right here: http://debrief.comma...showtopic=24641

#7 Michigansoftball#1

Michigansoftball#1

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:19 PM

I liked it, apart from all that Jaws-Dolly nonsense.

#8 Marquis

Marquis

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 456 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 07:46 AM

I really like Moonraker - warts 'n all. One of my favourite aspects of the film is how it oozes atmosphere, which is largely thanks to it's great locations (and John Barry's luscious score). The scenes in Rio & Venice work extremely well and with the possible exception of Octopussy, it's the last time a Bond film actually looked exotic and captured the imagination.

#9 Trevelyan_Moneypenny

Trevelyan_Moneypenny

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 01:30 AM

I liked Moonraker because Drax is an awesome villain. I think Drake in the James Bond game Nightfire is based off of him. Richard Kiel is awesome too!

#10 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 02:48 AM

Welcome to CBn! :)

#11 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:35 PM

Hi, new here. Already posted a couple of replies, but I think I'll take this opportunity to quickly introduce myself. I'm ChickenStu, and I'm a massive fan of all things Bond!
"Moonraker" is not my favourite Bond movie, hell it's not even my favourite Roger Moore Bond movie, but I hold a special place in my heart for it. It was the first Bond film out in my lifetime, and I think it was the first one I ever saw. From a young age I was bought up on a steady diet of science fiction, from Star Wars to Superman, from Buck Rogers to Battlestar Galactica.
It's perhaps fitting that my first experience with Bond was a spectacular outer space adventure!
It's also indicitive of how much the film is a product of its time, and perhaps shows a little cynism on the part of the Broccolis, eager to capitilise at the then current interest in science fiction.
The critic in me sees a few flaws. Yeah it's overblown and cheesy, but the outer space scenes are awe inspiring.
I also love the movie poster, and I adore John Barry's soundtrack (I own a copy of it on CD).
Many Bond fans seem to hate Moonraker, and I can see why I have to admit.
Some unrealistic plot twists (the Jaws and Dolly romance anyone) and somewhat flippant tone at times, do threaten to distract attention away from the main plot.
But taken on it's own merit, I think it's great fun from start to finish and there are far worse Bond films than this.

#12 mcsearg

mcsearg

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 217 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:43 PM

"Moonraker" is what started my lifelong love for all things Bond. This is the first movie I ever remember seeing. Watching it now has such a comfortable feel for me. Great locations, great villains (maybe the best in the series). This movie is fun to watch!

#13 tonymascia1

tonymascia1

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 270 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:58 PM

Although my tastes run toward the "serious" Bond movies, Moonraker is a good deal of fun.

I don't think the special effects are bad at all for a film made in 1979.

I probably wince more now at the "oh, a lady" line (Bond, upon meeting Dr. Goodhead) than I do at the pigeon's triple take in Venice.

Drax has such wonderful lines --- and the droll manner in which Michael Lonsdale delivers them makes them even juicier.

"...such good sport..."

#14 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 06:04 PM

Hi, new here. Already posted a couple of replies, but I think I'll take this opportunity to quickly introduce myself. I'm ChickenStu, and I'm a massive fan of all things Bond!
"Moonraker" is not my favourite Bond movie, hell it's not even my favourite Roger Moore Bond movie, but I hold a special place in my heart for it. It was the first Bond film out in my lifetime, and I think it was the first one I ever saw. From a young age I was bought up on a steady diet of science fiction, from Star Wars to Superman, from Buck Rogers to Battlestar Galactica.
It's perhaps fitting that my first experience with Bond was a spectacular outer space adventure!
It's also indicitive of how much the film is a product of its time, and perhaps shows a little cynism on the part of the Broccolis, eager to capitilise at the then current interest in science fiction.
The critic in me sees a few flaws. Yeah it's overblown and cheesy, but the outer space scenes are awe inspiring.
I also love the movie poster, and I adore John Barry's soundtrack (I own a copy of it on CD).
Many Bond fans seem to hate Moonraker, and I can see why I have to admit.
Some unrealistic plot twists (the Jaws and Dolly romance anyone) and somewhat flippant tone at times, do threaten to distract attention away from the main plot.
But taken on it's own merit, I think it's great fun from start to finish and there are far worse Bond films than this.

View Post

Welcome to CBn! :)

#15 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:25 AM

[Moderator's Note: Poll added to this thread.]

#16 GreggAllinson

GreggAllinson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:33 AM

Most of EON's Bond films frustrate me because I can see a real Jomes Bond story struggling to get out from underneath the silliness and camp EON's dolloped all over the character. But Moonraker? Moonraker doesn't even try, and that's why I love it. By the time you get to James Bond and the space marines firing lasers, you just roll with it. It's such an incalculably stupid film that you can't help but love it.

Plus, there's Corinne Clery...

#17 Bond fan since March 2000

Bond fan since March 2000

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:03 AM

Ok, so I'm reviewing all 21 Bond films starting with my least favorite & working my way to #1! Enjoy!

#9 Moonraker, 1979

1979 was a big year for outer space in movies. After the sucess of Star Wars & Close Encounters of the Third Kind two years earlier, there was a desire to see out of this world adventures & that was the year of the first Alien & Star Trek films came out. So It seemed like a good time to take the world's favorite secret agent to space with Moonraker, which is one of the best looking & most entertaining Bond films ever.

A space shuttle has been hijacked from a 747 & MI6 believes the maker Hugo Drax (Michael Lonsdale) was involved in the hijacking & sends James Bond (Roger Moore) to investigate. Traveling from California to Venice to Rio barely escaping Drax's attempt to kill him along with Dr.Holly Goodhead (Lois Chiles) & must travel into outer space & stop him from destroying every human on Earth.

Despite quite possibly being the silliest Bond film ever, few Bond films are as high in spectacle & fun as Moonraker. The two main men to thank are Ken Adam for the huge & amazing sets & Derek Meddings for some fantastic special effects. Action & locations are very well done here starting with a breathtaking pre-title sequence where Bond is pushed out of a plane without a parachute that rivals the ski-jump in The Spy Who Loved Me. That is followed by a terrifying sequence in which is put in a G-Force Simulator that is put to a dangerously high speed. Then there's a great boat chase in Venice & later a cable car fight in Rio de Janiero between Bond & Jaws (Richard Kiel) along with another boat chase which ends with Bond flying over a giant waterfall. The finale takes place in outer space at the villain's evil lair & is breathtakingly well-done.

The scene-stealing performance here is Richard Kiel who returns from The Spy Who Loved Me as the steel-toothed giant Jaws (my favorite Bond henchemen) & without giving too much away proves that maybe the villains in all these films might not be so evil if they can just find someone special (without paying or forcing someone to do it with them). Roger Moore is fine here as James Bond with lots of humor & looks great for being 51 years-old. Lois Chiles plays another Bond girl with a weird name, Dr.Holly Goodhead & is not only the hottest Bond girl ever, but is actually tough & can meet Bond as an equal. This is also the last time we see Bernard Lee as M (he died while preparing for For Your Eyes Only) & he can't be fully replaced.

Some people will say this is an excuse to take away gadgets from the Bond films, but Moonraker is a awe-looking piece of entertainment.

Edited by Bond fan since March 2000, 04 April 2007 - 12:04 AM.

#18 LadySylvia

LadySylvia

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:18 AM

Despite quite possibly being the silliest Bond film ever, few Bond films are as high in spectacle & fun as Moonraker.

Frankly, I believe that honor should go to DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER, but that's just me.

As for MOONRAKER, it's a pretty good film, despite some silly moments and the ridiculous sci-fi laser fight during the movie's last thirty minutes.

#19 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:26 AM

We got our Moonraker Moore Sideshow figure today and I was just looking at the poster on the box thinking how utterly wild it must have been to see this poster in 79 and learn this was what the next Bond movie was going to be about. Bond in outer space? How can that work? Well, it's works. It's a great big bold Cubby Broccoli Bond flick and it rocks! A different era, that's for sure. An era when Bond wasn't taken soooooo seriously. I really miss that.

You and me both zencat.

#20 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:42 AM

Worst. Bond. Movie. EVER.

Don't get me wrong, I love Sir Roger Moore's performance as Bond but the only good scenes were the PTS and the scene where Bond is fighting the little asian assassin. That's it. It was nice to see Jaws in MR but this movie is just terrible.

Michael Lonsdale is possibly the dryest villan in the franchise history, and Lois Chiles' Dr. Goodhead...lovely lady and all...plays a good Bond girl but she tries too hard.

The plot was feasible, however Bond in space just doesn't fit. James Bond is an earthbound person with earthbound problems facing off with earthbound villians who want to sink continents..which should have been the true plot to Moonraker..oh wait it was, IN THE BOOK.

The title song suffers too. It's slow and boring, To add insult to the injury there's a disco version of the song at the end credits. Did the director want people to abondon this film after the PTS?

The only true positive thing I'll say about this movie: Thank goodness for For Your Eyes Only.

:cooltongue: :angry: :lol: :D :)

#21 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:32 PM

As an eight-year old in 1979, Moonraker looked to be the greatest thing since Star Wars! Of course it wasn't, but I voted a (generous) 6 because of the nostalgia factor:

three points: for nostalgia,
one point:for Roger slowly lifting his arm like he was in Zero G...
one point: for a haunting Barry score
one point: for Corinne Dufour!

Funny that I didn't really care about the campier elements of the film, as I just accepted that as typical Roger era Bond.

#22 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:43 PM

I had the good fortune of being 12 years old when this movie came out, young enough to still be learning just what James Bond was all about. And thus, tickled pink with what I got.

At 12 all I cared about was "did they do a good job at what they set out to do?" And boy, did they ever; the movie still looks great today and the space stuff was not only very well done but even astonishingly accurate given the real shuttle hadn't even launched yet. Only later did I settle into the mentality of "yes, but should they have done it in the first place?" This is the change-of-life that ruins the fun for all of us, eventually.

The film hasn't changed in all these years, but I have. Too bad for me, really; as the Bob Seger song says, "I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Then maybe I'd be innocent enough to enjoy a Bond film as thoroughly as I did Moonraker as a dumb kid.

I give it a (00)7. Roger rules!

#23 mrsbonds_ppk

mrsbonds_ppk

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1297 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:41 AM

Moonraker is a SOLID Bond movie. Roger gives a SOLID performance. Meaning:

Movie: 8/10
Moore's Performance: 10/10

Simple as that.

#24 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:15 AM

The only true positive thing I'll say about this movie: Thank goodness for For Your Eyes Only.

So are you saying For Your Eyes Only is only good because it followed Moonraker? What if FYEO had followed The Spy Who Loved Me instead as well originally intended? Would FYEO instead be seen as a tame follow up to the lavish TSWLM or would TSWLM be getting all the flak MR gets for being outlandish and OTT while FYEO would be praised for bringing Bond if not back down to earth then back to Fleming and (relative) seriousness?

I had the good fortune of being 12 years old when this movie came out, young enough to still be learning just what James Bond was all about. And thus, tickled pink with what I got.

Then didn't MR succeed at what it intended to do? EON wasn't trying to make a faitful to the novel adaptation/thriller. They were intending to make a fun, summer escape action comedy aimed more at the juvenile crowd. It delivered what it's posters and trailers promised.

At 12 all I cared about was "did they do a good job at what they set out to do?" And boy, did they ever; the movie still looks great today and the space stuff was not only very well done but even astonishingly accurate given the real shuttle hadn't even launched yet. Only later did I settle into the mentality of "yes, but should they have done it in the first place?" This is the change-of-life that ruins the fun for all of us, eventually.

The film hasn't changed in all these years, but I have. Too bad for me, really; as the Bob Seger song says, "I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Then maybe I'd be innocent enough to enjoy a Bond film as thoroughly as I did Moonraker as a dumb kid.

Glad to see you give it a (00)7, David_M but I have a question for you: did you ever have a similar reaction of "I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then" to The Spy Who Loved Me in later years since it's basically the film most similar to Moonraker.

#25 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:30 AM

We have a common "Bond" here as I was also 12 that summer I saw MR. It was a time when sports was more important than most other stuff and I actually didn't care much about Bond at the time. I remember when you had a few Bond films on ABC every year at the time and missing a showing of FRWL and not caring.

I thought MR looked good because it had all that fantastic stuff in it. I do remember a couple of my parents' friends grumbling about it not being like the old Bond. I'll never forget that July Friday morning my dad woke me up and said "We're going to see Moonraker today."

It was a fantastic time at the movies and it clinched my being a Bond and spy genre fan to this day rather than somebody with a casual interest. I soon wanted to watch Bond more than ever. Each ABC showing was an event and I was soon discovering shows like The Avengers and The Saint.

MR will always have a special place for me on this basis. :cooltongue:

#26 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 07:56 AM

So are you saying For Your Eyes Only is only good because it followed Moonraker? What if FYEO had followed The Spy Who Loved Me instead as well originally intended? Would FYEO instead be seen as a tame follow up to the lavish TSWLM or would TSWLM be getting all the flak MR gets for being outlandish and OTT while FYEO would be praised for bringing Bond if not back down to earth then back to Fleming and (relative) seriousness?

I imagine if FYEO had followed TSWLM it wouldn't have been anything like the FYEO we know today, it would have been another over-the-top film in the same vein as Moonraker. Just without anything involving space.

Edited by Safari Suit, 27 April 2007 - 07:57 AM.

#27 DavidSomerset

DavidSomerset

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 08:35 AM

Funny that most of the posters in this thread are people for whom MR was the first Bond movie they saw. For me it was the second after TSWLM. I wonder that 20 years hence, there will be a group of people who will be the folks for whom DAD was the first Bond flick and they will consider it to be great too. For me, MR was much better than DAD.

Ah nostalgia...

Take a giant step back for mankind.

#28 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 12:04 AM

We have a common "Bond" here as I was also 12 that summer I saw MR. It was a time when sports was more important than most other stuff and I actually didn't care much about Bond at the time. I remember when you had a few Bond films on ABC every year at the time and missing a showing of FRWL and not caring.

I thought MR looked good because it had all that fantastic stuff in it. I do remember a couple of my parents' friends grumbling about it not being like the old Bond. I'll never forget that July Friday morning my dad woke me up and said "We're going to see Moonraker today."

It was a fantastic time at the movies and it clinched my being a Bond and spy genre fan to this day rather than somebody with a casual interest. I soon wanted to watch Bond more than ever. Each ABC showing was an event and I was soon discovering shows like The Avengers and The Saint.

MR will always have a special place for me on this basis. :cooltongue:

MR was my first Bond film at the cinema too. In retrospect, I'm really glad MR was my first Bond in the cinema as a child. As much as FYEO is loved by many, MR was a much better "first Bond in the cinema" experience for me as a kid to see. As an adult, I prefer TLD, CR, and OHMSS but as a child MR was my favorite and deservedly so. I'll always have a strong sentimental affection for it.

#29 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 06:03 PM

Why is it every time I watch the cable car/ ambulance sequences in Moonraker I get a sudden urge to drink 7-Up?

#30 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:45 PM

Why is it every time I watch the cable car/ ambulance sequences in Moonraker I get a sudden urge to drink 7-Up?

As Bond would later quip in OP: "It certainly pays to advertise."