DVD Subtitle Problems

4 replies to this topic

#1 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 February 2002 - 11:53 PM

I have a few questions about DVD subtitle problems. I own the From Russia With Love DVD (Region 1) and when Tatiana is talking with her friends before she visits Rosa Klebb, she isn't speaking English, and there are no subtitles onscreen. I really can't remember if this is the way the film actually is, but it seems like there should be subtitles for that section. Also, in The Living Daylights, when the pipeline girl says "I'm not that kind of girl" in another language, there are no subtitles, so people don't understand what she's saying.

Can anyone confirm if the subtitles are supposed to be in FRWL, and if so, does anyone know if I could get a replacement copy from MGM? I would really like to have a good copy of the film, but I would rather not pay $20 again for the film when its released later this year...

Thanks for the help!

#2 JAWS

JAWS

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 02 February 2002 - 08:13 PM

The sub titles are absent from YOLT, as well. When the cosmonauts are kidnapped (or cosmanapped I suppose). It really pissed me off.

#3 R

R

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 02 February 2002 - 09:23 PM

This MIGHT be a hardware issue. I've had a few problems with subtitles not appearing in quite a few films, most notably the "JAMES BOND WILL RETURN" from TWINE. My Phantom Menace does the same, I have to switch the subtitles on in the menu to get them to appear in the movie. However, when I watched it on a friend's DVD player, the subtitles appeared of their own accord quite happily. Apparently it's a known problem and it has been sorted out for all new (ie post 2001) players, but I'm not sure what to do about those with older ones who aren't willing to shell out ANOTHER

#4 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 02 February 2002 - 12:11 AM

This is not unique to FRWL and TLD. Many films that have the odd piece of foreign dialogue do not feature translations on the subtitles. Don't ask me why - I haven't got the foggiest. But I've got about 150 DVDs myself, and I've spotted this on dozens of occasions outside the Bond series. Maybe there's an artistic reason or something?

P.S. A work contact who produced the R2 007 DVD series recently told me that there are no plans to re-author the discs for the 40th anniversary release. They will simply be the exact same discs, with perhaps the 40th anniversary logo on the cover artwork.

#5 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 02 February 2002 - 12:24 AM

Is it posible to buy the covers anwhere seperately?

This is the only problem - if we had somewher to buy them from each time new ones come out, peoples collections would be complete all the time!