Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 09:08 AM

Posted Image
Resurrecting Connery's Bond
How Sir Sean influenced EA's 'From Russia With Love'

Be a right downer to end a videogame on, but wouldn't it be cool if the "surprise ending" was the ending from Ian Fleming's novel? It could even set up a sequel, as it seems Connery is keen. ...Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea, after all. (I know it's a pipe dream; we don't get enough Fleming in the films; what chance have we got in a videogame?)

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 11:58 AM

Was thinking the exact same thing Matt, as I copied this section of the article:

As for what to expect from the game itself, Schofield promises a larger scale for many of the locations, including in and under the Russian consulate, which features in the film. Fans can also look forward to a surprise ending in the game.

...to highlight here. Naturally, expansion for the videogame is expected. Can't wait to see what else is new.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 12:47 PM

"Surprise ending"? Hmmm... This is interesting. Great work, [dark].

#4 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 12:23 AM

Was thinking the exact same thing Matt, as I copied this section of the article:

As for what to expect from the game itself, Schofield promises a larger scale for many of the locations, including in and under the Russian consulate, which features in the film. Fans can also look forward to a surprise ending in the game.

...to highlight here. Naturally, expansion for the videogame is expected. Can't wait to see what else is new.

View Post

Yes the surprise ending bit is interesting. Will it be a 'To Be Continued' type thing...? Like at the end, the mastermind behind the plot is revealed to be Auric Goldfinger?
And thinking about this a bit more, what are the odds that Connery actually recorded enough dialogue for two games? Will they announce the next Bond game as soon as FRWL is released? Hmm!

#5 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 12:25 AM

View Post

Yes the surprise ending bit is interesting. Will it be a 'To Be Continued' type thing...?

View Post

That would be quite a risk. If it worked though, they'd have alot of fans looking forward to the next one though.

#6 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 07:49 AM

What if, somehow, the games started following the novels' continuity? That makes Dr. No the next one...

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 03:18 PM

Wonder if they'd do that since Dr. No was featured in the relatively recent GERA.

#8 Flavius

Flavius

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 01:28 PM

I'm very keen to see a 2nd Connery game (and I haven't even got my copy of FRWL yet!).

Sadly, I think the marketing machine might stop it. A Connery game- like the release of Rogue Agent- was a good way to get a yearly release out in the awkward gap between Bonds at the cinema. Next years game will presumably be a Daniel Craig one. There might be a fear that a release of an earlier Bond in game form would steal some of the new boys thunder at the cinema.... :)

(personally I don't see it as a problem- Connery on TV probably only enhanced ticket sales for Brosnan. But I'm thinking like a marketing guy would, rather than as a fan).

#9 cvheady007

cvheady007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:30 AM

The only problem with releasing a Craig game next year is if it happens before the movie. Personally, I would be hesitant to buy the game until I have seen him play the character. Don't get me wrong - I am not saying that I think he will do a bad job...I just think that if they can get Connery or Moore that it's their best financial bet. Bring out Craig's in 2007.

#10 Flavius

Flavius

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 10:48 AM

If it was my decision, that's certainly the way I'd play out the next games development. A classic Connery or Moore next year would invite comparison with Craig, which I think actually gets people into the cinema.

I'm curious now to see what the surprise ending hinted at in FRWL is. Presumably it will be something to whet our appetites for the next one.

Would be cool if it was just like the movie. You know.... "James Bond will return...in Goldfinger"

#11 TheBritishEnd

TheBritishEnd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 261 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 06:12 PM

I think everyone may have read too much into that 'surprise ending' comment. If you want to know a minor spoiler of what to expect, highlight the following.

/spoiler.gif
The 'surprise' doesn't have anything to do with the storyline's ending, but rather the game's final boss fight.
/gen_line.gif

#12 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 07:02 PM

The only problem with releasing a Craig game next year is if it happens before the movie.  Personally, I would be hesitant to buy the game until I have seen him play the character.  Don't get me wrong - I am not saying that I think he will do a bad job...I just think that if they can get Connery or Moore that it's their best financial bet.  Bring out Craig's in 2007.

View Post

Wonder if they'd ever manage to get him to do the voice too.