11 replies to this topic

#1 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 06 August 2001 - 03:01 AM

Like I said, its plain crazy talk, just 'cause I wrote it doesn't mean I believe any of it, so please refrain from verbally abusing me too much.

Having watched all the Bond films a couple of times I have recently developed a theory, a theory that you may find shocking and disturbing. A theory that initially may be scoffed at, causing humiliation to whoever suggests it, but when you analyses the circumstances, evidence can be found, and strong evidence at that. This Evidence supports what many judge as outrageous, perhaps even distressing.

My theory is that there was a double Agent inside MI6, inside the British Secret Service, who was really working for SPECTRE. And that agent was none other than the original M, aka Admiral Sir Miles Messervy. I know what you are thinking, how stupid is this? M was loyal to his county, to the service, he must have been!! But please, let me continue, I may just change your opinion. There is evidence to support this claim and it dates right back to the beginning. In Doctor No M makes Bond change weaponry, from a gun he has used for "nearly 10 years", a gun that Bond was used to, surely this is disadvantaging Bond. So what? You may be asking, but wait, there is more to come. From Russia with Love sees M send Bond into what is obviously a trap. Somehow SPECTRE knew that the British would send Bond, M was helping them out here. And what about Thunderball, M originally has Bond going far away from the Bahamas, where Largo actually is. Why would M keep Bond, who he acknowledges in this film as the best, away from where SPECTRE are (this is suggesting M know where SPECTRE are, he probably doesn't). Of course when Bond requests to go to the Bahamas, M cant refuse, it would look suspicious.

And then there's OHMSS, towards the end, you know what I'm talking about, where M wont let Bond go after Blofeld, who had Tracey and was demanding to be acknowledged as a Count. And don't forget about Diamonds are Forever. M sent Bond to Holland, while Blofeld was far away living it up in the glitz and glamour Las Vegas. Seems M is doing his bit to help SPECTRE out, and none of this happens when its villains other than SPECTRE, very suspicious if you ask me.

For Your Eyes Only sees Bond finally kill Blofeld, dropping him off a helicopter into a smoke stack. With Blofeld dead SPECTRE is no more, and guess what? In the very next scene Moneypenny informs Bond that M is on leave. If my hunch is correct, this was just M's cover, M has now lost his employer in Blofeld, and has gone to find a new employer, allowing him to continue to spy on the British and sabotage missions for his new employer.

A suggestion that he now has shifted from SPECTRE to the KGB can be supported by his newfound friendliness towards General Gogal, who seems to appear more and more during this time. Finally in Licence to Kill, in one last sabotage attempt, M accepts Bonds resignation without giving it the fight you would expect from a boss for his most successful employer. Now there is one piece left of the puzzle, why M doesn't feature after Licence to Kill. The answer is simple; he was caught and executed by the British for his Double Agent crimes.

So there you have it, a theory that on the surface seems illogical and impossible, and underneath seems just as unlikely, theres evidence, but it can all be explained rationally, still, I though it was a bit of fun.

#2 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 07 August 2001 - 03:06 AM

Yeah, I didn't think so either, and Bernard Lee's M is on of my favorite Bond characters, there were just a few little things I noticed.

#3 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 07 August 2001 - 02:04 AM

It's a very interesting theory Freemo. I doubt it would be M though. Undoubtedly there would be a spy in MI6 for Spectre, in fact I'd say there would be plenty. I think Fleming's novels best explain why M always sends Bond into the breach.

#4 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 07 August 2001 - 11:21 AM

Ah, thankyou. Yes, I have written a few more, I'm post them when I can dig them up. One of them tries to prove that the mastermind behind SPECTRE is actually Blofelds cat. :)

Damn I like this site, its really something. :)

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 07 August 2001 - 11:16 PM

Actually I quite like the article. If it wouldn't cause eggs to be thrown at me I'd publish it!! Perhaps we can get a less anti-M one and we'll do that. I like the sound of this Blofeld's Cat!!

#6 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 08 August 2001 - 03:18 AM

I understand, M was the best, If anyone other than me had written it, I'd probably be throwing eggs at them (or more likely at the person next to them, since my aim is pretty bad.)

#7 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 08 August 2001 - 11:05 PM

This is the sought of thing that Mickey Cohen probably would have shot you for :)

#8 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 08 August 2001 - 11:05 PM

This is the sought of thing that Mickey Cohen probably would have shot you for :)

#9 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 07 August 2001 - 10:50 AM

Freemo, it's ingenious and hugely entertaining.
Got any more?

#10 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 07 August 2001 - 07:21 AM

So do most people. I try and mesh them altogether. :)

#11 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 07 August 2001 - 06:59 AM

I knew that too, honest. I read Zero Minus Ten, I was just going by the films, since I consider the films and books seperate from eachother.

#12 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 07 August 2001 - 04:55 AM

A suggestion that he now has shifted from SPECTRE to the KGB can be supported by his newfound friendliness towards General Gogal, who seems to appear more and more during this time. Finally in Licence to Kill, in one last sabotage attempt, M accepts Bonds resignation without giving it the fight you would expect from a boss for his most successful employer. Now there is one piece left of the puzzle, why M doesn't feature after Licence to Kill. The answer is simple; he was caught and executed by the British for his Double Agent crimes.

Just on that. M (Sir Miles Messervey is his real name) retires around the time of the Gardner novel Cold Fall, then we have GoldenEye with the new M (Barbara Mawdsley). Sir Miles appears in later novels as well, all by Benson. So he's alive and very well!!