4 replies to this topic

#1 White Knight

White Knight

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 15 January 2002 - 10:14 PM

This may seem incredibly stupid. I have been a Bond fan since Goldeneye. I would like to know if James Bond is an American Franchise. please answer and do not mind my stupidity.

#2 Wade

Wade

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 16 January 2002 - 02:20 AM

The companies that own the movie rights are American ... Danjaq and EON. The company that owns the books .. Glidrose ... is British. Thing is, whenever these movies are shown, somewhere in some listings, they are pegged as "British" films. Don't know why. Maybe because they are made in Britain, at Pinewood. But their licensing is as all-American as Cubby and Harry were.

#3 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 16 January 2002 - 02:10 AM

That's an interesting question. One that others might like to help me answer.

I guess it could be considered American. The producers are American. But it's all produced in England.

I guess it depends on personal perception in a way.

#4 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 16 January 2002 - 03:38 AM

Wade (16 Jan, 2002 02:20 a.m.):
But their licensing is as all-American as Cubby and Harry were.

Don't wish to sound pedantic, but wasn't one of them Canadian?

#5 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 16 January 2002 - 04:07 AM

The ownership of the celluloid James Bond is all in the way you choose to look at it. Eon is a company that is based both in Los Angeles and England, while Danjaq is a Swiss company. Eon was formed by Cubby (an American) and Harry (a Canadian) but the films were made by a crew that was almost completely British. Right now both Michael G. and Barbara B. are at the helm and they are both Americans... but the films are still made by the British crew.
They are considered British films because; A) they are filmed in Britian at Pinewood Studios.
:) they are both made using British crews.

Glidrose is almost a completely British company. As far as I know, Raymond is the only American that works for Glidrose.

Like I said before it's basically how you look at it. The producers may be Americans but they are made in Britian with an English crew (I keep saying that:)). I'd say Bond is still British.

Did that help any?